Buffy / Sunnydale High Visit

betaztest

Earning My Ears
We are planning our first California family vacation in July. We are starting in SF, then going to Hollywood, Disney, and SD. My wife and 2 daughters are also huge Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans, so I was wondering about making a side trip to "Sunnydale High" (Torrance High School) and was hoping to get some thoughts from others. Keep in mind we have never been to California so don't know lots about the areas, traffic etc. So here's my questions:

- What kind of area is Torrance HS in (uppity, middle class, scary/stay far away...)?
- How far "out of the way" would it be to detour thru Torrance going from Hollywood to Disney. Google Maps suggests the drive time from Hollywood to Disney direct (via I-5) is 45 Minutes (or 2hrs 20 minutes with traffic) but going from Hollywood to Torrance (I-110) to Disney (CA-91) is only 1hr 14 min (or 2hrs 10 min with traffic). Are these times reasonable estimates - it almost appears that it would be quicker in traffic to take this indirect route to Anahiem? (It will be a weekday evening in July that we would be going from Hollywood to Anaheim).
- Is the school accessible in the summer for "photo ops" (just walking around the school to see it) or is it gated / fenced / otherwise blocked off?

Any other thoughts, advice or suggestions about this idea for a complete out-of-towner would be appreciated. Thanks!!

- What kind of area is Torrance HS in (uppity, middle class, scary/stay far away...)?
It's in a decent area.

- How far "out of the way" would it be to detour thru Torrance going from Hollywood to Disney. Google Maps suggests the drive time from Hollywood to Disney direct (via I-5) is 45 Minutes (or 2hrs 20 minutes with traffic) but going from Hollywood to Torrance (I-110) to Disney (CA-91) is only 1hr 14 min (or 2hrs 10 min with traffic). Are these times reasonable estimates - it almost appears that it would be quicker in traffic to take this indirect route to Anahiem? (It will be a weekday evening in July that we would be going from Hollywood to Anaheim).
The estimates are reasonable.

- Is the school accessible in the summer for "photo ops" (just walking around the school to see it) or is it gated / fenced / otherwise blocked off?
The campus is gated. On a weekday evening during summer, the gates will likely be locked. But you can go right up to the school's main entrance (which is also used in Beverly Hills 90210).

Any other thoughts, advice or suggestions about this idea for a complete out-of-towner would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Buffy's house is close by. But it's a private residence so don't disturb the residents or trespass. You can take photos from the curb.

Woody

Thanks for the info woody73. Sounds like it might be a good side trip if even for a quick 15 or 20 minute stop. Who knows when we may get back out west...

I drove past Torrance High yesterday, and it still looks just like Sunnydale High.

One time, I drove past it on a Saturday. There were dozens of exotic cars parked directly in front of the school, along with a film crew. They were filming Beverly Hills 90210.

Woody

When we went we were able to watch around and through the courtyard as well. But that was a few years ago. I got some great photos thought. I'm glad I went,it was a pretty neat experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter