budget thread for US/IOA

turning40withMickey

I will never be too old for Disney!
As a DIS fanatic, I am finding I need more choices here in the Universal section!:rolleyes1

I poured over all the tips for a family friendly trip to Disney last year, and I need lots for Universal this year. Come on, folks, fill it up!

Here are a few I know:
For you water drinkers.....ask for a cup of water at counter service. It is FREE, no need to buy bottled. :idea: We save a small fortune at restaurants by drinking water instead of soda, and it is better for you, too!:cool1:

If you need that soda fix: (and I do!) buy the refillable drink cup. Universal has one for about seven dollars with 69 cent refills. This will be a savings for us, since we plan to do two days each at US and IOA (can I use the same mug at both places, knowledgeable budgeteers? :confused3

What else should I know about? Anyone have a favorite CS that has meals large enough for two to share (especially if one is a picky kid who only wants dippin dots anyway? :ssst:

Any other tips to save a buck?

I was reading the menus on all ears dot net, on one of them it gave a price of 6.99 for the cup and 69 cent refills. I was quickly glancing back through them and can't find the refill price right now, but the cups seem to be for sale at most of the counter service eateries.

I was reading the menus on all ears dot net, on one of them it gave a price of 6.99 for the cup and 69 cent refills. I was quickly glancing back through them and can't find the refill price right now, but the cups seem to be for sale at most of the counter service eateries.

We we're there a month ago, and the refillable mug was available everywhere and it's .69 refills are worth it. We shared 2 mugs for 5 people, which is more than enough.

We also found getting the souvenior bucket of popcorn and getting that refilled for 1.99 was a cost savings too.

We we're there a month ago, and the refillable mug was available everywhere and it's .69 refills are worth it. We shared 2 mugs for 5 people, which is more than enough.

We also found getting the souvenior bucket of popcorn and getting that refilled for 1.99 was a cost savings too.

I know the mugs are refillable and certain ones are good forever but alway wondered about the popcorn buckets and are they good to take back and refill like the drink mugs :confused3

nothing wrong with budgeting to make the vacation $ stretch:goodvibes

not sure if u r a newbie or not:confused3 the pace is a bit slower @ U, not quite as much commando planning;) since many stay onsite & have FOTL:thumbsup2

if cost of water is an issue, i'd pick up a case of it outside the parks and bring the little kool aid packets with you.

my hints:

1) buy the refillable cups (drag them back for the next trip-even if it's years later, nobody will blink an eye). DH & I share one, while DS gets his own. I don't like watered down anything & the ice melts before I have a chance to finish a whole drink; less crap to carry too.

2) CSs have the rotissere turkey 1/2 (Enchanted Oak & Jurrassic-place) u find @ WDW, large enough for 2 med appetites i suppose; especially if you get the ear of corn & corn muffin; perhaps a beer to wash it down:laughing:

3) while i'm not overly thrilled with the site choices on the all-u-can eat meal deal, i suppose it's a bargin if you're going to eat 2 or 3 times/day:confused3 . 'course u cannot share the food.

We actually never got around to trying to take it back in and refill. We got the bucket the last day we were there.

We actually never got around to trying to take it back in and refill. We got the bucket the last day we were there.
Same with us and I am not a big pocorn fan but DW loves it and was the only one eating it and when you brought up about the popcorn bucket it reminded me about my DW found that bucket the other day or so ago :lmao: :lmao:

If you have an AP or AAA card, be sure to show it everywhere you shop & eat for your discount :teeth:

Are there different refillable mugs? I saw different prices on different CS menus, just wondered if they are mugs like Spiderman or Hulk or just plain US/IOA ones.

not sure if u r a newbie or not:confused3 the pace is a bit slower @ U, not quite as much commando planning;) since many stay onsite & have FOTL:thumbsup2

No FOTL for us, but great offsite pricing with three bedrooms...:cool1:
Not as much commando planning? Drat! I rather enjoy that part. :rotfl2: WE are the family you see at rope drop, all holding hands and in matching homemade shirts, ready to race to the first ride on our touring plan asap! :banana:

If you're really looking to save money, instead of buying lunch in the parks, bring a backpack with you, packed with sandwiches and chips to eat for lunch.

If you're really looking to save money, instead of buying lunch in the parks, bring a backpack with you, packed with sandwiches and chips to eat for lunch.

:thumbsup2 Done that to.If you buy a bottled water refill them @ water fountians.

:thumbsup2 Done that to.If you buy a bottled water refill them @ water fountians.

Now we have done that refill an empty water bottle at water fountians but the only problem we had with that was it was so hot that the water fountains was putting out warm water :eek:

Now we have done that refill an empty water bottle at water fountians but the only problem we had with that was it was so hot that the water fountains was putting out warm water :eek:

ask for ice at CS ;)

What else should I know about? Any other tips to save a buck?

In IOA, head to Jurassic Park, and Burger Digs, order the double cheeseburger, with an extra bun (ends up at $9.00), split the double into 2 cheeseburgers :) Burger digs also has the bar there, with the BEST PICKLES :) My kids end up loading up on the pickles as a snack as we leave. You can do the same in US, at Richter's, plus they serve chili cheese fries and OMG they rock for under $4.

We're still looking for fried pickles, a CM told us they had them in IOA, but we can't find them

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter