Budget rental cars, renting at the last minute vs. ahead of time?

Kremlar

Earning My Ears
Heading down to Orlando next month and trying to get everything reserved. Normally I rent my car ahead of time figuring I was getting a better deal. I've been using Budget and have been happy.

Using an offer code, checking 3/13-3/17 the prices have been going up and down for the past week. I'm anxious to reserve and cross it off my list, but it seems like I could probably get a better deal if I waited until the last minute.

For example, an intermediate SUV is $239.72 (+ taxes/etc.) for those dates if I book now, using the best offer code I can find, and choose the 'pay now rate'.

However, if I check 2/20-2/24 prices (just 2 days away) I can get the same intermediate SUV for $193.54 (+ taxes/etc.).

As far as I know there's nothing special 3/13-3/17, and as a matter of fact this week is a February vacatino week so I would think 2/20-2/24 would be higher!

Am I missing something or is it very likely that prices will be cheaper if I wait until my dates get closer to reserve?

Thanks!

In general, when you reserve a rental car you don't even have to give your credit card number to make the reservation. So I usually make a reservation and then keep watching the prices. If it happens to drop below what I have already reserved, I rebook and cancel the original reservation. Sometimes I'll rebook several times prior to a trip.

First, I never use a pay now rate.

I have never found them to work out cheaper for ME. YMMV.

Second, rental cars in the past year have been a bit of bafflement. I travel a fair bit and rent cars a fair bit. Rental inventory is down and prices are up. In my experience LATELY -- and again -- YMMV -- you run a good risk of NO CARS, or very few cars if you wait until the last days to reserve. So, you could be facing some hefty charges.

Reserve the best you can find now, without Pay in Advance would be my advice and then keep checking rates, even Priceline, which I have found to be pretty much useless lately.

I do tend to lean toward National and Enterprise, as I have status there, plus I have a couple of outrageous codes for them, but check all the ones you are willing to rent from...if you can beat the Hotwire "we won't tell you the company" price by at least 20 percent, you have probably done pretty well.

I make my reservation in advance, and keep checking on the pricing. The pricing usually does go down, and then I just modify my reservation.

I do tend to lean toward National and Enterprise, as I have status there, plus I have a couple of outrageous codes for them, but check all the ones you are willing to rent from...if you can beat the Hotwire "we won't tell you the company" price by at least 20 percent, you have probably done pretty well.

Thanks. With the coupons I know about Budget is currently way cheaper than Enterprise or National or others I have looked at, but perhaps I'm just not privy to the best discount codes for the others.

First, I never use a pay now rate. I have never found them to work out cheaper for ME. YMMV.

From what I can find Budget is the cheapest for me, and the Pay Now rate is a clear discount over their normal rate. I guess I can just reserve with their normal rate like you suggest and just re-book or Pay Now when the date gets closer if there's a drop in price.

I reserved mine with their normal rate and then on the Tuesday morning before the reservation I got a much cheaper rate (a tip I got on this board). I booked a new reservation and cancelled the old. But check early, the price went up $15 as I was booking. LOL

Usually "Pay Now" is locking you in to the current price. You need to really read the fine print on that concerning rebooking.

Also, generally, but not always, the best rates are a week or two ahead of departure. In your case, I would book something now that is NOT a prepay, but continue to look. You'll probably see better rates in a week or two (more likely two), but you're close enough that you should check every day.

Also, it is not my experience that Budget is the least expensive. Keep an eye on Alamo or Dollar as well. Sometimes the Dollar "City Special" is quite good.

I have reserve and cancelled cars twice for our August Trip and will probably do it countless more times before we actually leave. Right now we are booked with E-Z Rent a Car. We have used them before and they have already beat the price (with good company discount) through Enterprise/National.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter