• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Budget prom dress site?

kellia

DIS Veteran
Are there any legit sites out there with reasonably priced prom dresses? Dd is going for the first time and the ones she likes are SO expensive!! She wouldn't mind used, but we haven't seen any she liked that were being sold much cheaper than new.

Thanks!

http://www.newyorkdress.com/Clearance.html

Their clearance pages are great, savings are really good, and it's a reputable shop. MY DD plans on getting her dress from them for her prom next year, ahs been going to local stores to try on and select which style/designer she likes.

Is long gowns or shorter dresses more in style?

I have 2 boys, so just wondering what the girls are likely.
thanks

Renttherunway.com. Might be worth a try. My friends DD used them a few times

Kae

Shopping used is hit or miss, there may be nothing, or there may be the perfect dress in the wrong size. On the upside, most of the formal gowns are in better shape than the majority of items at the thrift stores and it's a LOT of fun to laugh at the horrid late 80s-mid 90s styles that we found. - we've been shopping also and checked 4 Goodwill stores, 2 DAV stores, some local consignment stores and Platos Closet. We found a handful altogether and did end up buying one at Plato's Closet. The (2) Khols near us did not get any in store according to the sales associate - but we found several in the clearance racks in the Junior department. Some we found several sizes, which doesn't make sense if they didn't get any in store. :confused3 Khols does have many online. Dillards has lot so of options, but most are pricey. An acquaintance's daughter found hers at JC Penny.

Locally we also have a new consignment store that deals only in formal dresses. They don't have a store front (yet?) It's a great resource -
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweet-Swags/222833144456752

If you don't have anything like this local, it would be a great business opportunity! The lady who co-owns it is so nice and I really think she's hit on something. We also bought a dress from here. So for $37 total investment my daughter has two suitable dresses.

My DD15 is going to prom since her boyfriend is a junior. Lucky for me she wanted a short dress and hates sparkles/sequins. A simple dress was easy to find and very affordable. She found hers at Nordstrom. Her shoes cost more than the dress.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/en-crem...ors/3169789?origin=keywordsearch&resultback=0

It seems like the younger girls like short dresses while the seniors go for the drama of floor length. I have two senior nieces who live in different states and they are both wearing long this year. Both your short until this year.

I'm always a fan of setting a budget and then letting them shop it.

In my experience, second hand is a good option only if you have lots of time. It can take many stores and lots of time to stumble upon something they like in the correct size.

In my area, long is the norm, although there may be half a dozen girls who wear short. The junior prom is more the classic princess style dress, the senior ball is more the slinky style. YMMV

Debshops.com

If you can actually go to the store, they have a HUGE selection! I got a homecoming dress there once that was "Last Season" and it cost me $15, brand new!

I also agree that goodwill has many choices.

David's bridal is another good one. In addition to bridesmaid dresses, they have an actual prom section. There are some decently priced gowns there.

Grooming is a troll, do not click his link !

I was just at burlington coat factory today and they had some pretty dresses(prom and spring kinds) I seen one(ok DD seen and wanted one) and it was $30 and it was pretty

Have you considered using rent the runway.com alot of military wives use it for the ball each year. You rent for a fraction of the cost of buying and they are designer label.

I would try consignment shops. The girls here wear short to Homecoming, but long to prom.

Ebay or cragslist is a good place to find used prom/ bridesmaid dresses. I'd probably start with ebay and consignment shops though because Craigslisters can be uber creepy.

Check at the local mall for the prom project (or something similar ) where people donate used dresses. The first couple weekends the dresses are free but need based but after that they sell the rest for like $30! Anyone can shop after the first couple weekends. Friends say they have nice dresses but sizes can be hit or miss.

They ARE expensive. I was really surprised after years of being surprised how cheaply homecoming dresses and such could be found at Forever 21 and the like. For prom, the girls seems to have a Say Yes To The Dress sort of mentality and the dresses were not cheap.

One thing I did once was she picked the dress she wanted then she found it on ebay worn once to someone else's prom. Saved half and she and friends traded clothes all the time anyway so she didn't care.

Debshops.com

If you can actually go to the store, they have a HUGE selection! I got a homecoming dress there once that was "Last Season" and it cost me $15, brand new!

I also agree that goodwill has many choices.

David's bridal is another good one. In addition to bridesmaid dresses, they have an actual prom section. There are some decently priced gowns there.

I agree with debshops.com

we have an actual Deb store about 45 minutes from our house and DD15 has gotten quite a few special occassion dresses there over the past few years.
Her most recent dress purchases were November $50 for homecoming, 3 dresses for Sweet 16 parties (January, Feb. and March) all around $50 each all purchased in the store and she just purchased one online (because they didn't have the color she wanted in the store) for her own Sweet 16 which isn't until September but, she absolutely loved this dress so we ordered and it was 30% off plus the shipping was only $7.00 I think, the total cost for this floor length purple dress with sequins under the bodice was under $150 and it looks beautiful on her. The other 4 dresses were all shorter length.
The actual store always has at least 1 clearance rack of special occassion dresses some as cheap as $20.

Do you live close to a military base? There is ALWAYS someone here trying to sell a dress they wore to a ball.

I bought my DD's homecoming dress from tidebuy.com They are in China and you have to order a month in advance because they make the dress for you once it's ordered which takes about 3 weeks, but they ship fast. I got the shipping notice and the dress was at my door literally 3 days later -- from CHINA!!! The dress was absolutely gorgeous. DD said no one else had one like hers, yet so many of the dresses at the homecoming dance were duplicates since the girls out here tend to shop at the same big box stores.

My niece ordered her wedding dress from Tidebuy and it was stunning. People could not believe it was only $125.00! The company has mixed reviews so I was hesitant but it all worked out great.

http://2012.tidebuy.com/2012-Prom-Season-7281/under-0-155-begin-prom-end/

Go to the prom dresses page and use the scroll bar to look at dresses in your price range. They have a huge selection.

I just saw fishinthesky.com for another person that is getting married. They have all kinds of formal wear! Great prices as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter