Budget planning activities at the fort, Food and Fun?

InstaCamper

Earning My Ears

Were on a budget :) and as you can tell from all my posts I am trying to plan this trip and have as much fun as possible with my family. We haven’t been able to afford a vacation going on 4 years now. I plan on eating off site pretty much every evening- just to save on money- we plan on gong to the parks for two days out of our 9 night stay- so we will probably be eating inside the parks those two days. We are also planning on several day trips around Fl as well. We will probably grill out a couple times- This is what I have found price wise at the fort – does this seem about rite?

Since Disney considers anyone over 9 an adult both my kids 11 and 14 will be paying the full price correct? Do these prices sound about rite?
Trail's End Restaurant Dinner $35.99 x4 = $143.96 + tip
Mickey's Backyard BBQ dinner Show $44.99 x 4=$179.96 + tip
Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue category 3 seating $56.99 x4= $227.96

We will probably only pick one of these above- suggestions? I am not sure if my kids would enjoy the shows-
I can see eating offsite quite a bit locally, considering we typically spend less than this for 3 nights out :goodvibes

Btw I really appreciate the thread on suggestions of where to eat offsite- Please keep adding to it

How about activities at the fort that don’t cost alot?

We plan on using the pool, fishing, putting around on the golf cart, chip and dale movie and marshmallow roast, fireworks, playing board games and corn hole. We love minature golf-

Does archery have a fee associated with it?

Any idea on the cost of the paddle boats?

Any other suggestions for the budget minded?

Have you considered eating most/many of your meals at your site? That was the deciding factor on where we are staying. It was much cheaper to stay at a value (compared to the Fort) until I factored in food. We will eat most breakfasts and some dinners at our camper. That is probably $500 savings over the 8 days we are there.

It looks like you are staying in a tent, but with electricity at the fort, cooking isn't much harder than doing it at home. Eating off site is still more money +driving/fuel + time away from the Fort.

I'm pretty cheap. If I can save $$$ cooking myself, I will.

I'll second eating at your site. We're going this weekend. Our plans are to bring things to fix sandwiches for lunch and dinner will be in the crock pot. Chili one night and corn chowder the other night.

I would agree with eating more @ your site big savings. If you eat in the park when you are there do not order meals for everone at first sometimes with little ones you could share, you can always go back if needed.
No tipping at the Back Yard BBQ it is more like a picnic srve yourself.
If you have not yet check out the budget board you might pick up some tips there.

I'll second eating at your site. We're going this weekend. Our plans are to bring things to fix sandwiches for lunch and dinner will be in the crock pot. Chili one night and corn chowder the other night.

That crock pot clam chowder sounds yummy.... would you be willing to share a recipe? I love my crock pot, I am not staying there but at home I try to stay on budget and you can really save big when using a crock pot. My favorite thing to make in a crock pot is a whole chicken- you eat what you'd like on that first night with rice/potatoes/whatever you like and the next day you can either add the chicken bone and left over meat to pasta sauce (the meat on the bone will come off as it slow cooks) or peeling the meat off myself and making a quick chicken salad for lunches! If the electricity is included then use it- it may even be wise to invest a little into a portable electric stove from walmart or Dick's!

Were on a budget :) and as you can tell from all my posts I am trying to plan this trip and have as much fun as possible with my family. We haven’t been able to afford a vacation going on 4 years now. I plan on eating off site pretty much every evening- just to save on money- we plan on gong to the parks for two days out of our 9 night stay- so we will probably be eating inside the parks those two days. We are also planning on several day trips around Fl as well. We will probably grill out a couple times- This is what I have found price wise at the fort – does this seem about rite?

Since Disney considers anyone over 9 an adult both my kids 11 and 14 will be paying the full price correct? Do these prices sound about rite?
Trail's End Restaurant Dinner $35.99 x4 = $143.96 + tip
Mickey's Backyard BBQ dinner Show $44.99 x 4=$179.96 + tip
Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue category 3 seating $56.99 x4= $227.96

We will probably only pick one of these above- suggestions? I am not sure if my kids would enjoy the shows-
I can see eating offsite quite a bit locally, considering we typically spend less than this for 3 nights out :goodvibes

Btw I really appreciate the thread on suggestions of where to eat offsite- Please keep adding to it

How about activities at the fort that don’t cost alot?

We plan on using the pool, fishing, putting around on the golf cart, chip and dale movie and marshmallow roast, fireworks, playing board games and corn hole. We love minature golf-

Does archery have a fee associated with it?

Any idea on the cost of the paddle boats?

Any other suggestions for the budget minded?

Instacamper,

When I was at the Fort this month the TE buffet was $23.99 per adult. Probably need to add drink, tax, tip to that but it wasn't the price referenced above.

If I had to splurge on something during the trip it would be the Hoop Dee Doo Review. Your kids are the perfect age (free refills on domestic beer which is included in the price). Not for the beer, I meant that for you and DW!

When you say paddle boats do you mean the canoes and kayaks available for rent at the Bike Barn? I'll post some pix I have of signs and costs for food and activities.

Also when you check in you'll receive a sheet of Resort Activities which will help keep the kids entertained. Most as you can see take place around mid-day near the Meadows Pool area. I can't guarentee these are the activities they'll have for you but consider it a sample. Most are no-cost/low-cost.

And finally, did you say you are coming from Ohio? I was born/raised in Akron and still get up there often to visit family.

Here are the pix:

001.jpg

002.jpg

DSC06142.jpg

DSC06123.jpg

DSC05872.jpg

Hope this helps.

Bama ED

Another cheap place to eat is Earl of Sandwich at DTD. If your AAA members you get a discount also. :thumbsup2

You can also check out restaurant.com for dining certificates. They have a lot of specials, for these check out mousesavers.com.

We stayed at the Ft. in January and the TE take-out was excellent. Basically for $25 for a family of 4- my kids are 13 and 11. It was good and filled us up. We brought our drink from the TT.

If I could choose one of the choices to eat on site I would choose Hoop Dee Doo-its a great show. Its been running forever.

I suggests too like mentioned-check the activities list. LOTS of fun things to do at the ft. We also enjoy walking to WL and grab a snack at Roaring Fork and watch the Geyser. We take the boat back to the ft. Lots of deer to see on our walk.

I agree-Earl of Sandwich is great at DTD.

The water parks are nice. Its been warmer than normal for this time of yr. here. I guess that's why I'm thinking water parks. We are FL residents and we get the after 2p passes which include both parks, free parking, and you can bring in food. It pays for itself the second day out. I'm sure there is a deal for both parks-look at mousesavers.com

I too like suggested would cook at your site. The crock pot is a campers best friend. We took a trip to DC 2 summers ago. We knew we were going to do a lot of walking and I didn't want to cook when getting back to the campsite. I bought a crock pot cookbook and found 5 recipes. Each morning I would throw everything in the crock pot and cook all day. Got back and heated up rice or noodles and we had a meal. We have a TT so keeping food wasn't a problem. A small fridge would be a HUGE savings in the end if you are tent camping-along with a 2 burner stove.

I've learned a lot from the experts here. I too have to budget. :wizard:

You can find Paddle boats at the Dolphin/Swan Hotel Lake (Take the Friendship boat from HS). You might also enjoy the Surrey Bikes at The Wilderness Lodge. Just a thought, but you might get more mileage out of Water Park (only) Annual Passess than one expensive meal. They are $99 each and you could go every day... If you do opt for a Special Dinner, I would suggest the Hoop de Doo over the other two you're considering. It's all basically the same menu, but Trail's End has no Show, and the Backyard BBQ Show is similiar to the Free Movie/Sing Along Show. Have fun.

Bama Ed, Yes comming from Westerville / Columbus Ohio, born and raised :) Thanks for the pictures and pricing. That looks like there is more than enough to keep my kids going. Thanks for all the great advice. Btw, looking through all your pictures, I saw the old rail road tracks from back in the day. I would really love to find where that picture was taken if possible. You arn't going to be at the fort again in June are you? Take care, InstaCamper

We stayed at the Ft. in January and the TE take-out was excellent. Basically for $25 for a family of 4- my kids are 13 and 11. It was good and filled us up. We brought our drink from the TT.

I suggests too like mentioned-check the activities list. LOTS of fun things to do at the ft. We also enjoy walking to WL and grab a snack at Roaring Fork and watch the Geyser. We take the boat back to the ft. Lots of deer to see on our walk.

I agree-Earl of Sandwich is great at DTD.

The water parks are nice. Its been warmer than normal for this time of yr. here. I guess that's why I'm thinking water parks. We are FL residents and we get the after 2p passes which include both parks, free parking, and you can bring in food. It pays for itself the second day out. I'm sure there is a deal for both parks-look at mousesavers.com

I've learned a lot from the experts here. I too have to budget. :wizard:

Where and what is Roaring Fork and watch the Geyser. This sounds like fun? And I have a fridge all ready to go, thanks for all the great advice!!!!

We spend a lot of time biking around the campground. There is so much to see and enjoy. We like to bike over to the Wilderness Lodge. If you go after dark you can usually see deer along the pathway. Bring a strong flashlight. We've also seen bobcats and owls along the pathway. When you get to the Wilderness Lodge you can view the Geyser in the rear of the hotel behind the pool.

There is a paved path to the Wilderness Lodge and there is also an unpaved path that runs somewhat parallel to the paved path. It's a good alternative and has some good exploring.

We like taking the boat over to the Contemporary. They have a great game room and it's always fun to play a few of the video games. Once you're at the Contemporary you can always take the monorail to visit the other hotels on the monorail loop. It's fun and inexpensive (as long as you don't indulge in the shops!).

I agree with the other posters that if you can cook most of your meals at the campsite it will save you quite a bit and you'll probably eat healthier. We have a pop up but we keep a big electric griddle in it. It's super convenient for breakfast items (eggs, bacon, sausage) and it also great for cooking veggies and potatoes for dinner.

I would also recommend that you look for any of the trip reports posted by "TCD." His trip reports are very informative and they give you lots of ideas to explore further into the campground for little known areas, like finding old railroad beds from the train that used to run through the campground.

Most of all, take lots of pics and write a trip report for us when you return from the Fort!

Bama Ed, Yes comming from Westerville / Columbus Ohio, born and raised :) Thanks for the pictures and pricing. That looks like there is more than enough to keep my kids going. Thanks for all the great advice. Btw, looking through all your pictures, I saw the old rail road tracks from back in the day. I would really love to find where that picture was taken if possible. You arn't going to be at the fort again in June are you? Take care, InstaCamper

I sent you a PM. Check the upper right corner of the main Camping Forum page where it says "Your Notifications". Click the link and follow it.

Good luck.

Bama ED

I would cook more meals at your site and add more park days - you won't be able to see all 4 parks in 2 days and since you've already purchased 2 days tickets it really isn't that much more to add on a few days - you need at least 1 day per park and it seems at your kids ages they'd really enjoy the parks. To me the price of gas spent driving off-site to eat negates the money you'll save in the long run.

Where and what is Roaring Fork and watch the Geyser. This sounds like fun? And I have a fridge all ready to go, thanks for all the great advice!!!!

Roaring Forks Snacks is the Counter Service restaurant at Wilderness Lodge. Since the Fort has such poor CS options for those on the Disney Dining Plan, the Wilderness Lodge and Contemporary Counter Service options get alot of business since they are just a simple bus/boat ride away.

Despite having the word "snacks" in its name, Roaring Forks generally has good comments on this Camping Board (btw I never do the Dining Plan and have never been to Roaring Forks [in the interest of full disclosure]). Counter Service restaurants are typically the cheapest on-property dining choice.

Here is the Roaring Forks link: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningdetail.cfm?Restaurant.ID=16.

Bama ED

Roaring Forks Snacks is the Counter Service restaurant at Wilderness Lodge. Since the Fort has such poor CS options for those on the Disney Dining Plan, the Wilderness Lodge and Contemporary Counter Service options get alot of business since they are just a simple bus/boat ride away.

Despite having the word "snacks" in its name, Roaring Forks generally has good comments on this Camping Board (btw I never do the Dining Plan and have never been to Roaring Forks [in the interest of full disclosure]). Counter Service restaurants are typically the cheapest on-property dining choice.

Here is the Roaring Forks link: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningdetail.cfm?Restaurant.ID=16.

Bama ED

This is good to know!!!:thumbsup2

THANKS ED!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter