Budget places to eat in NYC

sbouncer

<font color=red>I am starting to think it is for r
Hey all,

We are headed to the Big Apple this weekend as a quick getaway, we will be staying at the Hilton on 6th ave and we are looking for some good places to eat that really won't break the budget. Please tell me some of your suggestions for all three meals and we don't mind trying new things, just want good food on a budget. Thanks in advance........:thumbsup2

Your question is almost impossible to answer without some kind of idea of what food you like, what kind of surroundings, and what you mean by "budget". Move away a block or two from the Times Square area, and you can get very good food for ten dollars or less. And as far as I know, there is no where else in the world where in the space of just a block or two you get excellent restaurants featuring Ethiopian, Argentinian, Vietnamese and Nepali food.

Start by picking up the most recent copy of Zagat's "New York Restaurants". It lists restaurants by cost, area, cuisine and so on, and is a very, very good basic guide.

From there, go on to the New York menus website, which gives you listings by cost, area and cuisine, but also user reviews. Be warned, however, that some of these reviews definitely must be taken with a few grains of salt. And the down side of the website is that there are just so many restaurants to go through.

One thing neither of the above two primary sources list is the food carts, which are the one of the better kept secrets when it comes to dining in New York. Yes, yes, I know - you associate food carts with overcooked franks, greasy things-that-look-kinda-like-meat-on-a-stick, and those tourist-priced pretzels.

Suspend your disbelief and take a look at http://midtownlunch.com/ which is a website that provides a great overview of food carts that serve not only decent, but in many cases quite good food for ten dollars or less. The man who runs the website was profiled in the New York Times just a few days ago: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/03/dining/03lunch.html?ref=dining

And the good thing about these food carts is that they are perfect for tourists on the go - good food, cheap, and you can eat on the go.

It's hard to make specific suggestions when it comes to individual restaurants. I think everyone in New York has their favorites, which they swear beats the competition hands down. (And yet other people have visited those same places, got stuck with a server or a cook who had had a bad day, and swear they would never go back again.) You might start at Restaurant Row on 46th Street - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restaurant_Row_(New_York_City) . If the prices on the menus look too high (I think they're OK!) continue on to Ninth or Tenth Avenue; the eateries there are rather cheap, and the chances are the quality is still good. But like I said, stay away from Times Square and anything that looks tourist-oriented.

My own favorites at the moment tend to be located down in Greenwich Village, or over in Little Italy or Chinatown. Chinatown in particular has wonderful food at bargain prices!

But you might also splurge at least once. And when DW and I want to splurge, we go to Bappo ( http://www.babbonyc.com/mariob2.html ). Their tasting menu in particular is the best we have ever had, and we've eaten our way through France and Italy. Bappo is among the top Italian restaurants in the U.S., and deservedly. Reservations are reputedly hard to get, but I chanced to find out what the secret is. You simply walk in during the afternoon, before they open at 5 pm, and ask for a table - if not that same day - then the next, at 5 pm. We have never had a problem, and we have always had absolutely wonderful food.

My wife doesn't let us go to the City without eating at John's Pizza on 44th between Broadway and 8th.

I'm also planning a trip to NYC this summer (on a budget). I found the Back Stage Eatery on menupages. com. It looks like a great place to grab a cheap breakfast or lunch. The ratings on the site are good and its close to our hotel. It looks like it may be close to you too.

http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/back-stage-eatery/

Yeah, I concur with the other posters... "budget" is definitely a relative concept. If you're trying to stick to the Times Square area... you're going to end up spending a lot for "eh" food.

My favorite cheap eat in Manhattan is Sarita's in the East Village. Best mac-n-cheese ever. I'm also a fan of the Stage Deli at like... 53rd and 7th. Carnegie is also very good, but I prefer the Stage for sentimental reasons.

My favorite pizza is John's, but it's the John's on Bleeker Street down in the West Village.

My favorite expensive restaurant is Le Bernardin. I'm also a fan of Cipriani's... my firm rented it one night for a party and it was a heck of a time.

Just back from NYC...I hope you have better luck than we did finding reasonable dining! It really seemed to be so much more expensive than our last visit. We always liked John's Pizzeria but this time it was most disappointing. No suggestions..just god luck!

Maybe Mulberry St-Little Italy area might be a decent option:confused3

We went a couple weeks ago and I was also going to say John's Pizza, we went to the one near Times Square but the one on Bleeker is really easy to find too. The other place I am so glad we ate at was the Shake Shack, we stood in line for 20 minutes for a burger but it was a really darn good burger. Other than that we went to a couple restaurants owned by celebrity chefs that we enjoy on TV and we enjoyed those meals a lot. The biggest thing we found was to go at lunch to the nice restuarants and that saves some cash :)

We like the Red Flame Coffee Shop, 67 W 44th St. It's between 5th & 6th. They serve typical dinner food.

Remember to check out restaurant.com. The other day I bought $25 gift certificates for $1.70 after going through ebates. I don't think that they are still doing that special (it was a Memorial Day Promo) but even so you can still save money. Mycokerewards has them on their site if you have points to redeem.:)

Think Ethnic!

Village is a great place for cheap eats.
If you like Eastern European food- think Kielbasa, pierogi ect.. Then this place is our favorite

http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/ukrainian-east-village-restaurant/
It's on 2nd avenue and 9th street.

Down the block from the much more popular and more crowded(and not as good to this polish girl) Veselka. But Veselka has cheap breakfast.

Really the village is where you want to be. Midtown you can eat at the street cart if you are feeling adventurous. Or even lunch at a STREET FAIR! Great grilled stuff. Souvlaki is yummy! You can find Indian food, Italian, Whatever and it's all good. I have never gotten sick either and have been pretty adventurous. Plus these are NYC! You really get a feel for the people of the city at these street fairs they are fun.
On Saturday there is a big one on 2nd ave between 34th street and 23rd
And Sunday one on 3rd avenue same streets.

And imho Ellens Stardust is a cheap FUN place to have breakfast. It's the singing waitstaff. And really it is less expensive than most of the other breakfast places in that area.

OOH! Try an H&H bagel! or an oniony bialy mmmmm.

OOH and I forgot my FAVORITE for an inexpensive but delicious meal.
Becco!! Lidia Bastiani owns this one (Felidia is her more expensive restaurant that is also delicious! but $$$)
They have an all you can eat 3 pasta special that includes a salad or Antipasti Misto(WITH SEAFOOD!) for $18 at lunch or $23 at dinner.(Make a reservation if you are going though)
Or other great entrees and reasonable wine.
http://www.becco-nyc.com/

Also it is definately cheaper to eat your big meal at lunch. Becco will be about $5-10 cheaper a person for lunch. The portions are substantial even at lunch. And hello all you can eat is all you can eat! Last time we had it I love 2 out of the 3 and just had more of those 2 the third wasn't terrible just not as great as the other 2.

Hey that place looks yummy I'm going to try to get DH to get some take out from there to bring home on the bus out of port authority! Thanks for posting that.

I was always big on Ruben's empanadas in the financial district. They have 3 locations now.
But no where near as big a menu as Empanada Mama! Can't wait to try it!

Let me know what you think. I had the cheeseburger one and the baked shredded chicken one and they were yummy. My friends had the Hawaiin, Cuban and Brasil and they all enjoyed them. :)

Good luck on your stay and search for affordable eats.

Big Apple is quite an expensive place to visit. But it takes a lot of effort and research to find the best and cheap places.

Let us know what your trip turns out.

We LOVE Cafe Napoli in Little Italy on Mulberry, better then carmines IMHO. The prices are reasonable. Also the Variety Deli which is more then a deli, it does cook to order quick food. It is directly across from The Today Show. I love NYC but I would go just to eat at Cafe Napoli and leave it at that LOL.

I would say overbudget for food if you can because it is very pricy to eat in Manhattan. We still joke about one time we were in a hurry and ran into a place in times square and paid 40.00 for 2 grilled cheese sandwiches and 2 cokes LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter