• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Budget internet for cell phone plans (Verizon)

maggiew

DIS Veteran
Our cell phone contracts expire on June 3 and I am looking at new phones/plans. We have Verizon and would probably like to stay with Verizon. We have 5 people on a family plan and pay about $150 per month. We share 1400 minutes. We also have unlimited texting (I have 2 teens. ;))

Right now we all have regular phones (with camera and texting capabilities - DH, my mom and I have a Razors and the kids have something else). I would like to get internet browsing capability (on my phone only - but I would get it on kids if not much more and low risk of surprise bills).

I've been looking at different plans and I find that there are different versions of internet on phones. It seems like Blackberries have a higher rate than regular internet. But I don't really understand what the difference is? I don't think I need a Blackberry. I only occasionally would like to look up a phone number while on the road or look up basic things. I would like to have something I can use that can make my computer have internet while not at a WIFI spot (but this isn't necessary). I spoke with a customer service rep and the price seemed reasonable. But there was some "download" fees (per megabyte or something like that.) She said just browsing didn't count on those fees and that I could block that on the kids phones. Is that true?

Anyway, could someone explain how internet on the phone works and what difference there is between regular internet and the Blackberry package? What do I need?

Also, what is 3G? I see this on TV. Is this something I need?

Thanks,
maggie

We have the same 1400 minute with unlimited texting plan. My daughter recently got a Samsung Omnia (I think that's the name) which requires either the 29.99 or the 49.99 data plan (every month and only good for the one phone)

On our other phones, I have web enabled without a data plan which costs 1.99 per megabyte of data transferred. It can add up, it also would include any downloads of music, games, ring tones etc. Pretty much anything that has to connect and is not a voice call.

I saw your bill and thought Yikes!!! I have Sprint - 4 phones - we share 550 minutes - free night and weekends after 7 pm - and pay $75/month. I cancelled all texting on my phones - DS is 12 and there were some questionable pictures being sent, so I blocked our phones. He didn't talk to me for a day - but that's what Mom's are for.

Sprint has a Family everything plan (phone/texting/web browsing etc.) for $129 for 2 phones. I believe you share 1500 minutes. I've been happy with them for about 4 years - went from Nextel to Sprint.

Janis

I love verizon!! i might be able to save you some $$ we get 20% off our plans at work PM me and ill give you the link, i dont want to post it here you can also order discounted phone and all once junes comes but you can get the discount now!! i love saving 20%

I love verizon!! i might be able to save you some $$ we get 20% off our plans at work PM me and ill give you the link, i dont want to post it here you can also order discounted phone and all once junes comes but you can get the discount now!! i love saving 20%

I have this discount through my work as well, but I had to show proof of employment.

With the Sprint everything family plan- do you know how it works to add phones over the 2? We need 4 all together. Also- does anyone know if that would make it so you could buy the additional part and use it for your computers wifi??

TIA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter