• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

budget ideas for teen "toy" drive

packofjedis

Mouseketeer
My family is volunteering at a food/clothing/toy give away in a couple of weeks for needy people. A friend who worked it last year said the saddest part were the people who came in "shopping" for gifts for teenagers because there was nothing donated in that age group. Everyone likes to shop for the younger kids because it's cheaper and easier.

So I'd like to purchase some small items to put on the teenager table so if/when people come in looking for gifts for teenagers, there will be something there. BUT I'd like it to be budget so for one, I don't spend a ton, and two so I can buy more!

Some things we've brainstormed and come up with are:

Girls - nail polish, eyeshadow/other makeup, those soft poofy socks, hair accessories

Boys - basketballs, soccer balls, footballs

We don't want to do anything like mp3 players because most of these people have no access to computers.

So....any other ideas? We'd love some help!!!

Maybe some smaller accessories or winter wear from trendy brand name stores? Gift cards (seems a bit impersonal, but teens are tough to please!!), food items like packs of gum or candy? Teens are really hard to buy for on a limited budget!!

How about cologne/perfume, jewelry (we've found inexpensive but cute stuff for girls at Claire's, and for guys at Rue 21), brightly colored accent pillows, books, Cuponk game, colorful bulletin board, card games, beanie hat...I'll try to think of more ideas.

Drugstores in Canada carry teen packs of products for less than $10. Shampoos, creams, lotions... really useful things for teens.

Some ideas:

prepaid movie tickets (I get them through AAA)

popular paperbacks (Wimpy kid, Big Nate, Hunger Games and Twilight series are very popular right now)

McDonald's/fast food gift certificates

big packs of sugarless bubble gum

Rubix cube

Yahtzee, Uno, cards

scarves

local sports team items or clothing (for us New Englanders, anything Red Sox, Patriots, Bruins and Celtics are loved by girls and boys)

posters

Bath and Body Works items

sunglasses

trendy pencils and pens

dvds

travel mugs with hot chocolate

costume jewelery

Uno cards, Playing cards, AXE gift sets,razors, lotions, shave cream, bath and body works items for girls, fast food gift cards, movie gift cards, candy/ snack food items in stockings/baskets, socks, hats, gloves, scarves, gum. Small nostalgia type toys from places like cracker barrell--usually gets a smile from my teens. Carmex, chap sticks, lip gloss, blistex,

oops posting same time as tigrsbride!

My family is volunteering at a food/clothing/toy give away in a couple of weeks for needy people. A friend who worked it last year said the saddest part were the people who came in "shopping" for gifts for teenagers because there was nothing donated in that age group. Everyone likes to shop for the younger kids because it's cheaper and easier.

So I'd like to purchase some small items to put on the teenager table so if/when people come in looking for gifts for teenagers, there will be something there. BUT I'd like it to be budget so for one, I don't spend a ton, and two so I can buy more!

Some things we've brainstormed and come up with are:

Girls - nail polish, eyeshadow/other makeup, those soft poofy socks, hair accessories

Boys - basketballs, soccer balls, footballs

We don't want to do anything like mp3 players because most of these people have no access to computers.

So....any other ideas? We'd love some help!!!
For either gender: Hoodie sweatshirts, gift cards to fast food restaurants or Starbucks, ear buds (those things do wear out), colored shoe strings, sunglasses, chocolate bars, Suduko or other puzzle books, art supplies.

For girls: Fancy ink pens, crayons and coloring books (yes, this is a trend among teen girls), Vera Bradley wallets, anything from Claire's or Icing, craft kits.

Boys are harder (without spending real money), or maybe I just think that because I have girls myself. I'm going to disagree with the sports-ball idea because by the time they're teens, most boys own those things already.

Don't hesitate to get iTunes cards. Almost all my students (and many of them are poor, on free lunch, etc.) do have computer access. On my first-day-of-school information sheet, I ask about their ability to use computers, and it's been a couple years since I had a single student who checked "I have no access to a computer at home". Most of them have iPods or MP3 players; those things've been around for many years now, and almost all my students have them from previous Christmases or birthdays -- maybe not the newest, nicest versions, but almost all of them have some version. Along those same lines, a small set of iPod speakers is inexpensive, yet something that many may not have.

For girls:
Cool hair straightener/hair dryer
BBW lotions
manicure sets
make-up
wristlets
funky socks
fuzzy slippers
perfume

For Boys:
nerf guns
cologne
axe products
wallet
gloves

I know you said they don't have access to computers, but they may at school so a funky USB drive may come in handy.

We always did the Toys For Tots drive for the GS. They told us curling irons and hair dryers were popular.

Boys:
wallet
flashlight
skateboard (Can get some in the $20 range at Walmart if someone is inclined to spend that much)
I think sports balls are a good idea, I have 4 boys and they need new ones every couple years, they get lost or deflated or whatever, they're always happy to get new ones.

Either:
backpack
reading light
throw blankets
board games/card games for older ages

Girls:
fluffy pillow
lava lamp
journal
fun costume jewelry
hair accessories

I know when you're buying for people you know gift cards are the easiest way to go with teens, but I would shy away from offering those at a toy drive. As bad as it sounds, you can't assume that they would actually make it to the teen.

maybe those bedside caddies? I gave one to a teen, who loved it.

Also - baseball caps, nail polish, posters, locker decorations or storage (like those shelves, or mirrors), journal with a funky pen.
Maybe also magazines - sports illustrated for boys, 17 or maybe teen vogue for girls.

Loving all these ideas! Thank you SO much! If you think of anything else, let me know. I'm going to pass these along to friends that are purchasing with me.

:cool1:

Feathers! Feather earrings are hugely popular here as are feather clips to go in the hair. These can be found very inexpensively. Walmart had a pack of two feather hair clips for $9. Also, knit caps (both boys and girls) and scarves are popular but inexpensive. For girls, the Twilight books and Nicholas Sparks books are also popular. Gift cards to fast food restaurants (Chick fil a, Wendy's, McDonalds) and to movie theaters would also be useful and fun to receive. Professional team or college team wear would also be good for both sexes (t-shirts, hats, hoodies, etc.).

I think it is great that you are thinking about the older kids. Honestly, it's an issue I hadn't really given much thought to but I will in the future. I can see how there would be very few options as most people donate toys for the younger set.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter