Budget homemade gift people go WOW over?

The OP actually gave me a great idea....I have several empty bottles of wine :rolleyes1 I'm going to have my girls decorate the bottles with mickey heads using the paint pens. While I don't know if I will put lights in the bottle, I think it is a very clever idea. I am for recycling things and this is perfect.

We do a version of this....using the cheerios, M&M's, peanuts, pretzel sticks, and the white chocolate bark

I'm warning ya though....you might want to make about triple what you plan to gift....this stuff tends to magically disappear during the packaging process :rolleyes1
Alton Brown's "White Trash"

3 1/2 cups Cheerios toasted oat cereal
3 cups Rice Chex
3 cups Corn Chex
16 ounces M&M's plain chocolate candy
2 1/2 cups salted mixed nuts
2 cups small pretzels
2 (11 ounce) packages white chocolate chips (Ghirardelli brand preferred)

Directions:Prep Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
1 Dump the cereals, M&Ms, nuts & pretzels in a large bowl. 2 Melt the white chocolate in the microwave or in a double boiler. Melt very slowly, stirring occasionally, being careful not to burn the chocolate. 3 Dump melted chocolate over the rest of the ingredients and fold over and over until you have well-coated hunks and chunks. 4 Spread the whole mess out on parchment paper and set in a cool place until it sets up, then break it into pieces. 5 Store in zip-top bags or air-tight containers.

For our 13 teacher gifts this year, dd and I are sewing steno pad covers, coffee cozies, and pocket tissue holders in matching sets. She is 6 and got her first sewing machine last christmas. It is not super fancy, but I'm sure the teachers will appreciate the effort and thought that went into it. We tried to think of things they actually use. The coffee cozies will be around a disposable coffee cup (like a Starbucks one) with a packet of hot chocolate inside. :)

Those sound so cute! Did you find patterns for them at the store, or did you come up with them on your own? :confused3 I can sew a straight line (I do burp cloths as baby gifts), but that's about it!:love:

I think what a lot of people are saying is that a "dust catcher" like lights in a bottle wouldn't appeal to them. TBH, if someone gave that to me as a "homemade gift from the heart", I would think they didn't know me very well and it might hurt my feelings a little because of that. I have a small apartment and I'm not fond of dust catchers, plus I have my own Christmas decorations already. So if you felt obligated to give me a gift and didn't know me well enough to know I hate dust catchers, I'd go for the $5 gift card or nothing at all so I don't have to get rid of it and you don't waste money on me. Does that make sense?

In the vein of good homemade gifts, I like baking breads. People love baked goods, and cookies get done a lot. So making some nice cranberry bread or something else fruity and festive, especially all wrapped up in colored cellophane and ribbon, can have a different kind of "oomph" than what people are used to getting.

You can also make some very pretty ornaments by squirting different paints inside of glass balls and shaking them around. Very easy for the kids if you can trust them not to drop. Just squirt and let them do the shaking! With some nice personalization in marker or careful painting on the front they can be fun. My drama teacher made pink balls for the club after our production of Grease with our names and character names on them as a thank-you gift, and they went over really well.

But a lot of people will throw your baked goods out because they don't know where they came from. My Sister throws everything out because she doesn't think everyone's kitchen is as clean as hers. Since it never get's used, I point out, how can it get dirty???

But a lot of people will throw your baked goods out because they don't know where they came from. My Sister throws everything out because she doesn't think everyone's kitchen is as clean as hers. Since it never get's used, I point out, how can it get dirty???

most teachers I know do the same- they would never eat anything that someone made at their home.

I make soap, so homemade is easy for me :) Teachers usually get a basket with homemade bar soap, liquid soap, sugar rub, bath salts, and a bath mitt. In fact, today;s project is to do a batch with appropriate Christmas scent so that they can cure in time.

I would love to do this! Did you attend a class or learn on your own?

Not meaning to pick on the OP, but anyone who would give me a wine bottle with lights insides does not know me well enought that they need to give me a gift. I dislike dustcatchers of any kind and am very minimalistic in decor, dress, etc. I would smile, gush, send a thank you and toss the bottle.

This doesn't make me ungrateful. A thoughtful gift giver gives something they think the recipient would enjoy, not just something that is cheap and easy for them to give.

By the way, I also toss baked good gifts from most people. I usually don't eat anything from any else's house unless I have seen it and know their kitchen is clean.

The thing about many of these homemade gifts is that homemade doesn't necessarily mean thoughtful. When you are "mass-producing" gifts like wine bottles with a cord out of the top (not even hidden through the back) to be budget minded, you are not necessarily giving the recipient any thought. You are giving them something YOU think is elegant and you've made with the intent of being as cheap as possible without thinking if it will match the decor, is it something that they desire, is it something that matches their personality. At that point, it is no different than buying a whole bunch of Target gift cards to distribute.

And for those of you that are up in arms that your homemade gift wouldn't be lovingly displayed and gazed upon, you act as if those of use who don't like them throw them back in the giver's face saying "G-d, this is fugly!" No. We can accept them quite graciously. And then we put them away or get rid of them quietly. I find it hard to believe that each and every one of you have liked and kept every single gift you have ever received.

This about sums it up for me. When I receive a gift that isn't to my taste, I graciously thank the person, then tuck the gift away someplace out of sight. Eventually it will get thrown out or given away to goodwill. If it is something useful, like a pot holder or something, I would definitely use that. Honestly, I would rather receive just a christmas card than something like a wine bottle with lights in it. That's just my opinion.

Not meaning to pick on the OP, but anyone who would give me a wine bottle with lights insides does not know me well enought that they need to give me a gift. I dislike dustcatchers of any kind and am very minimalistic in decor, dress, etc. I would smile, gush, send a thank you and toss the bottle.

This doesn't make me ungrateful. A thoughtful gift giver gives something they think the recipient would enjoy, not just something that is cheap and easy for them to give.

By the way, I also toss baked good gifts from most people. I usually don't eat anything from any else's house unless I have seen it and know their kitchen is clean.

I don't mean this to be rude in any way but 'OCD much???'....for myself, if you don't like something I give you, say 'thank you for thinking of me but I don't really have a place for this...please give it to someone who can enjoy it in their home'.

Whatta sticky wicket this whole gift thing is, huh??

For those who are commenting that they throw out all homemade food gifts because they don't trust the cleanliness of other's kitchens......have you ever eaten at a restaurant?? I have worked in many kitchens through the years and if I thought about their "cleanliness" I would never eat out again! I have seen food dropped on the floor, counters, etc."momentarily" and served. Cooks and servers who certainly don't have time to wash their hands during a shift, etc. People who are sick cooking and serving because they can't afford to take the day off. No sick days in the restaurant business.

For those who are commenting that they throw out all homemade food gifts because they don't trust the cleanliness of other's kitchens......have you ever eaten at a restaurant?? I have worked in many kitchens through the years and if I thought about their "cleanliness" I would never eat out again! I have seen food dropped on the floor, counters, etc."momentarily" and served. Cooks and servers who certainly don't have time to wash their hands during a shift, etc. People who are sick cooking and serving because they can't afford to take the day off. No sick days in the restaurant business.

amen!

Ifor myself, if you don't like something I give you, say 'thank you for thinking of me but I don't really have a place for this...please give it to someone who can enjoy it in their home'.
I would NEVER give back a gift from a friend. That is R-U-D-E!

I really enjoy most homemade gifts that friends and family have given me in the past. Anyway I can not understand why people get so upset at a gift they receive. It is the thought that counts. I thought I would share a tacky tradition we are going to start this year because it sounded totally fun and takes away the stress of gift giving. We are having a regifting Christmas exchange for the adults in the family this year. Each couple brings a two gifts one for a girl and one for a boy. Then we put the wrapped gifts in a pile and each person gets to choose the one that they want. We put a $10 value max on the gifts and they can be anything at all. Stuff from home or if you must buy it has to be cheap. The idea is to have fun and make memories the gifts are really nothing more than a tool to aid in the memory making. I know my husbands extended family has done this in the past and love doing. I cannot wait to see how it turns out.

My grandma once told me "that you can have all the money (gifts we like) in the world but they do not mean s**& without the memories that were made along the way. Because in the end all you have are the memories when the people are gone"

Grandma you are a pretty smart lady.:love:

I was surprised to read about people throwing out homemade food gifts and thought the same as you. I can't imagine throwing away food made for us from people we know. They cared enough and took their time to make it. I wouldn't throw away a gift like that.

I've worked in environments where food was routinely brought in from many home sources. I never ran across anyone that turned the food down! :laughing: We have had office pot lucks, birthdays, holiday food, you name it. Never was an issue. It was fun.

The point is not to make the OP feel bad, but the fact of the matter is so many people (OP included) spend lots of time and energy creating a dust collector/fire hazard that the receiver probably doesn't need or want.

If you are really about the thought and don't have the money to spend on a gift rather than spend the time making a trinket try writing a thoughtful note stating how much the person means to you. I know that wanting to give a gift seems like a nice idea but giving a used wine bottle stuffed with a $1 string of Christmas lights is actually pretty thoughtless unless you KNOW that this gift would fit into their decor.

I have a relative who buys a whole mass of "female" and "male" gifts for Christmas. The gift is 9 times out of 10 not within my taste. Of course I gush appropriately and send a hand written thank you. I personally find it offensive that I am given a "one size fits all" present.

This year I sent a message to the majority of my friends and family and asked that they please not buy me gifts. I now get out of having to rush around buying thoughtful gifts and they get out of buying me these generic gifts that I neither want nor need.

So why doesn't someone go start a new thread titled "inspired by the homemade gifts threads" or something similar, where the topic can be whether you appreciate homemade gifts or not, which ones are acceptable or not, etc.

Sheesh, even go start a thread titled "what's the tackiest gift you've ever received, homemade or otherwise?" Those threads can be quite funny. I used to wait for one Dis-er to post her wacky MIL gift every year. And they're not offensive, because that's the purpose of the thread.

I bet the OP would even participate in some of those threads since I definitely get the feeling the whole gift giving thing is stressing her out a bit too.

But to come on this thread, which was clearly meant to gather ideas for gifts folks can make, and rip the OP's idea to shreds and/or discuss homemade gifts in general is off topic. And I find some of the responses to be flat out rude.

I think you're on right track here. I would never give a "one size fits all" gift. I gift "to" the person, not "at" the person. However, I do make homemade presents and I feel I know my family and friends well enough to do so. And the food items I make and give are the same way.

One year I made baskets with bean soup in a jar, with homemade corn muffins. Turns out my one friend and her family HATE bean soup. Who knew after 30+ years of friendship, this never came up! But on the other hand, a retired pastor in our church loves it so much that I make it for him during the year too! And I have a dear friend that is allergic to peanuts, so they never get food.

But my white chocolate peppermint bark is SO popular that people expect it every year. I'm giving over 100 boxes this year!

But my white chocolate peppermint bark is SO popular that people expect it every year. I'm giving over 100 boxes this year!

Could you possibly make that 101??? I'll pass on the soup, but the peppermint bark sounds fabulous!!!

Thank you to those of you who actually stuck to the topic. I Love some of your ideas! Those of you who are interested in making the wine bottle decoration for yourself or others, make sure to clean the bottle out good with bleach or vinegar. I think they are pretty and have only made one for myself and my Mother. She loved hers and I have gotten many compliments on mine lit up in my house. :snooty:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter