"Budget" homemade costume idea for MNSSHP

E-P-C-O-T

DIS Veteran
DH wants to do MNSSHP, we are on a budget, yes, budget, sticking on a budget is how we get to do so many trips... Cannot spend $5,000 everytime we go! Although, it would be very nice!!

Anyway, DD is going as Cinderella,we already have her costume, but, we have no idea what we are going to wear. I rather not wear a true costume, something homemade would be nice. Please keep in mind that we are going to the 1st party in Sep, so, most likely, it will be very hot...

Thanks! :goodvibes

How about mice? To go with Cinderella. Simple ears and a tail grey shirt some eyeliner whiskers = mouse

Do you want to stay with the Cinderella theme or just Disney? Dalmatian costumes are really easy and cheap to make. We used white sweats and glued spots (I cut them from felt) all over, ears with a headband and a black nose with whiskers. Even more budget, DD and I used the shirts to be "cows" for the free meal at Chick-fil-a a few weeks ago.

We did a 50's theme last year. Rolled up jeans, bobbie socks, pony tail and scarf for girls, cuffed jeans and white tshirt with a pack of gum rolled up in the sleeve for hubby.

Sticking with the Cinderella theme would be nice, but, we can just do about anything else. Loving the ideas so far... Thanks!

The thrift store is a great place to find stuff to make costumes. Even if you can't sew, its just a costume so it doesn't need to last forever or be perfect. Fabric glue or hot glue are good enough.

Sometimes, you'll find something in the thrift store that is just begging to be made into an awesome costume. If you have a chance, go to one and look around. You might just end up finding inspiration there.

My sister and I bought the Minnie Mouse headbands online - it's a headband with black ears and a red polka dot bow. We wore red t-shirt and black skorts. Very temperature cool and just the right touch of costume for us.

Our 3 kids were Donald Duck's nephews. We had those duck quackers from one of the duck tours we went on and they wore the appropriate colored tshirts to match the nephews with a matching ball cap.

When we go to the MNSSHP, we usually take our Steeler football jerseys, jewelry, socks, etc. You're already taking shorts, etc., so to add a football jersey into the luggage, is easy and takes up very little room. Always have a good time, and always get a special nod from Captain Jack Sparrow during the parade.

If we go this year to MNSSHP ( hope to as my nephew will be in the parade!) I don't know what I'm going to wear but I'll have DD13 wear the Maleficient costume I made her for Halloween last year.

I found the dress at Goodwill ($10) and added some trim, etc. to it that I already had. I made the headpiece from one of her headbands, felt, wire, etc. And I made her scepter (sp?) out of a piece of PVC and a plastic christmas ball that I sprayed with gold glitter. The only other thing I had to buy was the snood. It was one of those that covers the whole face-I removed the center portion.

Luckily I've been a crafter for years so I have a good supply of trim, paper, paint, glitter, etc.

I think it came out pretty well. However, if she does wear it this year at MNSSHP we won't be doing the whole face painting. It took a while to do ( I did it twice last year) and it would be too hot to wear in the humidty. I'll just do the eyes, etc. Now that she wears contacts it'll be more dramatic!

109_7743.jpg

109_7741.jpg

109_7849.jpg

Here she is with her "dragon"

If she doesn't want to wear the dress then we'll most likely wear the shirts I made last year

Photo1355FourBySix.jpg

If we go this year to MNSSHP ( hope to as my nephew will be in the parade!) I don't know what I'm going to wear but I'll have DD13 wear the Maleficient costume I made her for Halloween last year.

I found the dress at Goodwill ($10) and added some trim, etc. to it that I already had. I made the headpiece from one of her headbands, felt, wire, etc. And I made her scepter (sp?) out of a piece of PVC and a plastic christmas ball that I sprayed with gold glitter. The only other thing I had to buy was the snood. It was one of those that covers the whole face-I removed the center portion.

Luckily I've been a crafter for years so I have a good supply of trim, paper, paint, glitter, etc.

I think it came out pretty well. However, if she does wear it this year at MNSSHP we won't be doing the whole face painting. It took a while to do ( I did it twice last year) and it would be too hot to wear in the humidty. I'll just to the eyes, etc.

109_7743.jpg

109_7741.jpg

109_7849.jpg

If she doesn't want to wear the dress then we'll most likely wear the shirts I made last year

Photo1355FourBySix.jpg

Wow. That's a great costume. So much cuter than the ones you can buy at halloween time.

My mom made Ms. and Mr. Potato Head for one year.

draw out a potato shape, cut four, sew, make faces and velcro them on so they can be moved around like in the movies!
She bought a dollar store visor and goodwill purse.

Be Mouseketeers, get the logo from the Disigns board and iron it on, put your names on the back and get some ears. :) Easy peasy.

I think it came out pretty well. However, if she does wear it this year at MNSSHP we won't be doing the whole face painting. It took a while to do ( I did it twice last year) and it would be too hot to wear in the humidty. I'll just do the eyes, etc. Now that she wears contacts it'll be more dramatic!

109_7743.jpg

109_7741.jpg

109_7849.jpg

Photo1355FourBySix.jpg

:worship: You are amazing. JS. :worship:

109_7743.jpg

109_7741.jpg

109_7849.jpg

Photo1355FourBySix.jpg

My DD wants to be Maleficient now, can you do this costume in a size 4? lol

We decided to go as Superman and Wonder Woman on vacation, will be wearing Tshirts, a cape, shorts and Flip Flops... ;) So, if you see a couple of Vacationing Super Heroes pushing Cinderella's Stroller stop and say hi!

Thanks for the great ideas, it got our creative juices going and we finally figured out our comfy, budget, non-hot costumes!

my mother did red tank/white shorts and minnie ears. i got a yellow tank at target for a few dollars and a yellow skirt on clearance at AE for $10. i used tulle and ribbon to create the neckline around the tank to mimic belle's dress. the skirt was peasant style and had gathering/ruching and was in tiers. i wore silver sequin sneakers and i had one of those little girl tiaras that you put in the bun, wore my brown curly hair half up and half down. was cool, easy to make, and a real hit in the park.

i like the idea of mice to go with her costume. we got some of the best pics of our trip at MNSSHP so i was glad i had a cute costume.

Last year my family of four went as a hidden mickey. I went to a craft store and bought 4 bright orange t-shirts, and black spray paint. I then made a very large stencil of a mickey head and we all put on the shirts and stood together and someone held up the stencil and traced the outline. Then we took off the shirts and spray painted where we needed to.

Each of us had part of the mickey on our shirts so seperately no one could tell what we were(the hidden part). Of course everyone would ask, so then we would move together and it would form the mickey head. It was a huge hit!!! Everytime we went on a ride, the cm's would say they were talking about us all over the park!! My kids thought it was great. It wasn't hot and it didn't take up any space in out suitcases. We loved the party so much that trip, that we went twice!!!:)

Last year my family of four went as a hidden mickey. I went to a craft store and bought 4 bright orange t-shirts, and black spray paint. I then made a very large stencil of a mickey head and we all put on the shirts and stood together and someone held up the stencil and traced the outline. Then we took off the shirts and spray painted where we needed to.

Each of us had part of the mickey on our shirts so seperately no one could tell what we were(the hidden part). Of course everyone would ask, so then we would move together and it would form the mickey head. It was a huge hit!!! Everytime we went on a ride, the cm's would say they were talking about us all over the park!! My kids thought it was great. It wasn't hot and it didn't take up any space in out suitcases. We loved the party so much that trip, that we went twice!!!:)

Oh that sounds like fun!! Trying to figure out how 4 people become a Mickey head. Can you post a photo?? I'd love to see it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter