Budget - High School Senior Year

Absolutely...again we only ordered "5" announcements from Josten's. One for DD's scrapbook, and one for my parents. And 3-others that will probably never get used.

The etsy design we used was:

The cost to have this done was $15, and then we had reprints done at Costco for $0.39 each (or was it $0.40). There are many desgins that are $10, and some even less than that - this particular design just suited my DD to a tee. You can design invites in the photo websites for Walgreens, Walmart, etc too, and then you just pay for the printing. I just happened to "really" like the etsy design best. Again - it just "fit" our DD. We didn't "get" the invites from the etsy shop - just the file. Hope that makes sense!

THANK YOU! We absolutely LOVE this design. We plan on doing pictures from Kindergarten to her Senior picture!

Thank you again! :)

An option to the 'deadly' class ring - I was offered a choice either a class ring or a piece of jewelry for the average price of a class ring. I chose a diamond ring. I still have it 28 years later and I wear it. How many people can day that about their high school Lass ring? My siblings were given the same choice & they also chose jewelry My sister still has her gold chain and pendent. I have friends that now do the same offer to their children.
I know that alot of people aren't able to offer that choice to their child but it is something to consider

Now that DD is officially a graduate, I can actually talk about what we DID spend the $$ on!!

OH MY! That list is LONG! But I can honestly say, I've never heard of most of this stuff with regards to our high school! But I can honestly say THANK YOU for the big heads up! You are right.... all of this stuff can nickel and dime you to death!! ..............................P

List here originally posted by MrsPete ..........underlined answers posted by me several months ago..... but the COLORED answers are the ACTUAL.

Oh, the list can be rather long:

Senior pictures - Done, as I mentioned. STILL haven't printed any of these yet, other than for invites! Guess I should order some for the portrait shelf!

Cap & Gown pictures - Not done around here. Nope... not done here, other than the photos I took on graduation day.

Senior yearbook - already ordered and no more expensive than last year.

Special page in the yearbook - not done around here. It turns out that they DID offer this option for parents, but it was SO crazy expensive I didn't even consider it... and judging by the very few number of these pages, most other parents didn't see it as necessary either.

Class group picture - not aware of this... maybe it comes in the spring?? This was done in their graduation gowns on class day (a few days before graduation). DD received a copy of the photo on graduation day. I was not charged for this (at least not as a separate fee anywhere.... but I'm sure it was worked into SOMETHING I paid for).

For athletes, recognition ad in the sports media guide - never heard of such a thing and DD is a 3 year varsity swimmer. Nope... nothing.

For athletes, sports team pictures - this is a yearly thing and only about $20

Cap and gown - obviously, but already prepared. Just a small fee... about $10... and she got to keep everything (although what I will do with the gown I have NO idea!).

Clothing for graduation - actually bought MY dress for her graduation yesterday on clearance at Macy's! I'm sure she will just wear a sundress and sandals, as that is what most of the girls do. She did want a white dress, as the graduation gown was white, but we found a pretty dress at an okay price on the clearance rack at White House/Black Market. It was SO adult and classy... I'm sure she will be able to wear it again in the future. She borrowed a pair of white sandals that I bought for myself.... no special jewelry as she borrowed my pearl and diamond earring and Cape Cod bracelet and wore her class ring.

Announcements & name cards, party invitations - Not sure what a "name card" is and I will be making the combined announcements/invites myself. DD helped me design the invites in PrintMaster and we ordered them from Costco.... under .50 each.

Class tee-shirts, sweatshirts, keychains, extra tassels (all sold along with cap and gowns) - t-shirts are in the works, never seen or heard of class sweatshirts or keychains here. Extra tassels I assume are for honor societies?? DD is in NHS, Latin HS and Spanish HS, so I am already assuming that there will be extra expenses for graduation attire for those.

No sweatshirts or keychains or extra tassels here. I never got ANY additional charge for her NHS stole/pin or other honor society cords. I'm guessing that these costs must be worked into their yearly society dues. Class t-shirt and honor society t-shirts were under $10 each.... I think she only ended up with the Class of '13 t-shirt and the NHS t-shirt.

Class ring -- though I think most people buy these junior year - Around here it is sophomore year usually. We gave DD $$ for her ring for Christmas last year and she ordered it this summer and it came the first week of school. It was a bit more than we had planned, but not terribly expensive and it was a Christmas gift.

Letterman's jacket -- again, most people buy them earlier, though you might add patches senior year - Not something I've seen around here. Didn't even realize that schools still did those.

College visits (gas, meals, time) - I consider these "college" expenses and honestly, we drive so much already for swim and such, a few more tanks of gas aren't really noticed. I try hard to pack meals and snacks in the car whenever possible....both for health reasons and for budget reasons. We are heading to RI this weekend to re-visit two schools and will stay overnight with family nearby to save on hotel costs.

College tees /sweats -- at least for the school she chooses - Not a necessity and again, we've seen that many of the colleges offer either a free t-shirt after you are accepted or at least a discount in the campus book store. And this is NOT a senior year necessity. If she has made a college choice by Christmas, then I will suggest she ask for college gear for gifts.

I did end up buying her an RWU t-shirt so she could wear it to school the week she made her decision. But I waited until she made her decision to buy the shirt! No sense in buying a shirt from a "maybe" college!!

College admissions fees ($50-80 per school) - Again, I consider this a "college" expense and we are prepared for it.

Transcripts for each college application - See above

SAT or ACT fees - She took the SAT last year and is taking it again next month, hoping to improve her math score. Not such a major expense.

AP testing fees - Did 3 last year and will do 3 again this year. Money well spent.

AP test prep books -- well worth the money - Not a necessity and probably will NOT buy any. The AP teachers offer enough extra study sessions and a lot of AP prep is available free online.

In the interest of full disclosure I must mention that I did give in and end up buying her THREE AP test prep books (two for biology and one for English)! The tests had changed recently and we couldn't buy used books for this. And her teachers this year weren't offering a lot in the way of extra study sessions. But she REALLY used the books and has a friend to hand them off to for next year.

Acceptance fee once she chooses her college -- I don't remember paying money to accept when I was a student, but I could be wrong - Never heard of such a thing, other than a tuition deposit. But again, I consider this a college expense and it will come from her college savings.

No separate "acceptance fee" ..... just the housing and tuition deposits that were due shortly after her decision.

Housing down payment - see above.

Doctor's visit for college health form & vaccinations - Health insurance will pick this up.

College orientation fee -- orientation is mandatory - College expense

Not really expecting it to be $200 though!!:crazy2:

Dorm stuff like lamps and bedsheets - Already told her to start asking for this stuff for Christmas and I have already been putting a bit aside for such things (although I KNOW not to buy anything decorative as she and any potential roommates may want to coordinate this stuff).

She has received a few things for gifts already (towels) and I've been buying a few things here and there as I spot them (like a nice sturdy travel iron).

Laptop for college - Already planned for.... may be her HS graduation gift.

DD doesn't really WANT a new laptop (even as a gift), but DH is insisting that she needs one.... so new laptop it is!!

Prom expenses -- possibly other special events such as Homecoming dances, Semi-formal, Volleyball Banquet, etc. - Homecoming is Friday. She is still debating whether or not to attend. Tickets are only $5 and she is okay with wearing last year's dress (which I bought for $5 off the Macy's clearance rack). I bought some dresses yesterday at Macy's for her to try, but she didn't like any of them, so back they go.

Prom dress/shoes/bag will have a budget. She bought very neutral shoes and bag last year with the hopes of wearing them twice. I do NOT expect her to wear her dress again, but she will have a budget of $200, as she did this past spring. She and some friends (from another school area) are talking about a dress swap. It would be great if that worked out! Hopefully tickets won't be more than $50 (this includes dinner and dancing). If she has a date or decides to go with a group and they want to share a limo, then she can figure out how to pay for it. Otherwise she is welcome to drive my car or carpool.

Prom tickets were $50 again.... dress was on sale for less than $100!!! So I splurged and bought her new shoes ($25). I made her necklace, bracelet and hair clip myself (total expenses under $15). She carried her bag from last year. She carpooled on the trip there with some other girls and I picked her up later that night (she didn't want todo any after-party.... too much AP studying to do!). I also splurged on an up-do at the hairdresser, but she did her nails herself.

No sports banquets here.... there is a sports awards night at the HS and for the swim team that has traditionally been followed by a dessert night or even a pasta supper at the Team Captain's house.... which this year is us!!

And we didn't even end up hosting anything. They did desserts (which I helped provide) at the school after the awards and that was it!

Senior picnic, breakfast, grad night . . . whatever your school hosts. - Again, haven't heard of any of this stuff.... usually it is just a day trip somewhere local like Six Flags. Most kids take a BIG trip abroad Junior or Senior year and that is considered their big trip.

No Sr. picnic. Sr. breakfast was on class day before graduation practice... no additional expense (I think that the PTO hosts this). Senior trip ended up being free (long story.... but I got my $35 check back!!:cool1:). Physics/Calculus day at Six Flags was the priciest thing on that list and she didn't really enjoy it!

Senior class gift to the school - That usually comes from the class till. Yup... no oop expense from the grads for this.

School fees, if your student owes money from previous years - Never have paid any additional fees for any classes at our HS, other than AP or SAT test fees. Nope... no other fees.

Graduation party -- even an at-home party will cost money; you'll buy food and drinks at least - As I mentioned in my original post, we are already preparing for and planning her graduation party! Can't wait!!

Had to postpone DD's graduation party until July (swim meet conflicts), but we are still on target .... although the house "spruce up" might be the death of me!!!:rotfl2: I've been buying the paper goods, etc bit by bit over the past few months so that the whole expense doesn't come out of one pay period. She is going with an ocean theme and we have some lovely centerpieces left from a previous ocean themed birthday party.... so other than table covers and some fresh candles for the centerpieces, we are good to go on decor!

Graduation gift -- for her, and you'll probably buy something for the kids who've been her close friends over the years - Already talking about fun, affordable gifts for friends (probably about 10 at this point) and have come up with some GREAT original ideas. Her new college laptop computer may be her graduation gift.

No changes here... in fact, most of her friends didn't exchange gifts so we didn't really need to come up with much of anything!!

Just an FYI for any parents looking towards their students graduating next year!...............P

My dd also just graduated so I thought I'd chime in with another "voice of experience", just for comparison.

Senior pictures - DD had one pic taken by the official studio for the yearbook - free. I took her actual "senior photos". This allowed us to have multiple outfit changes and props as well as taking at three different outdoor locations during different seasons. They turned our great - actually when I had some printed at Sams they required a "photo release" because they believed a professional had taken them. I splurged on a photo book with the 36 best pics from Shutterfly and used a code so the cost of the book was about $22. Enlargements and wallets for us, family and friends were ordered from Sams and very inexpensive!

Cap & Gown pictures - This was the third set taken above.

Senior yearbook - Regular annual expense of $65

Special page in the yearbook - Offered but we didn't do

Class group picture - taken but not available for purchase, included in the yearbook

For athletes, recognition ad in the sports media guide - Option but we didn't purchase

For athletes, sports team pictures - DD was in two activities but we took our own photos, including a great group shot so no cost

Cap and gown - We dealt with rentals before so I wasn't prepared to purchase. Don't remember the exact cost because it was included in the Josten's total. If I had know better we could have borrowed from someone. Lesson learned.

Clothing for graduation - DD wore a dress she had gotten for Easter under her gown and shoes she already had (prom shoes) so no extra cost for us.

Announcements & name cards - We purchased the minimum 25 announcements and 100 name cards. As with the cap and gown I don't remember the breakdown of cost since it was included in the Josten's total.

Party invitations and postage - I ordered the invitations from Sams with three photos of her on them. This was the cheapest I found customized invitations and they turned out great. We mailed about 15 announcements and invitations so we had postage cost for those. The rest were handed out to family and friends. Many of the people invited to the open house party were invited via facebook.

Class tee-shirts, sweatshirts, keychains, extra tassels (all sold along with cap and gowns) - DD really wanted the sweatpants and the extra tassel. All told our Josten's items (cap/gown, extra tassel, announcements, name cards, and sweatpants) totaled about $140. DD paid for the extra tassel and pants. A grandparent offered to pay for the rest which was much appreciated, especially the order had to be placed right at Christmas time.

Class ring -- though I think most people buy these junior year - DD's was purchased Sophmore year. It did have to be purchased through Josten's to be called up to receive it during the Ring Breakfast although all Sophmores attended the breakfast. I sold my class ring and was able to cover the cost of her's since mine had been rather large and gold and she choose the less expensive metal.

Letterman's jacket -- again, most people buy them earlier, though you might add patches senior year - DD received her Letter, year and initial patches Sophmore year and additional patches twice a year after that. After we talked about how seldom she was likely to wear the jacket I suggested she keep them and I would have them framed at graduation. I purchased a 20" x 30" frame and had a matte custom cut for the patches and a photo of her. I did the assembly myself and it turned out wonderful. The total cost was about $32 which was far cheaper than a jacket and we displayed it at her party. It turned out beautifully. Another mom did a similar thing but not on a budget and her cost was over $120.

College visits (gas, meals, time) - We only did one out of town visit (4 hours away) and made it a day trip so only had gas and food expense for a total of about $120. Well worth it since this was ultimately the school she chose.

College tees /sweats -- at least for the school she chooses - Each college we visited gave a free t-shirt during the tour. I did purchase a hoodie at the out of town college since it was the school she will be attending. $55 but she's already gotten a ton of wear out of it.

College admissions fees ($50-80 per school) - She applied to three schools. None had an application fee.

Transcripts for each college application - No charge for this from our school.

SAT or ACT fees - She took the ACT a total of four times to bring up the score for both scholarships and guaranteed admission into her program of choice. I consider it worth the expense since she went from $8,000 in scholarship to $13,000 in scholarship. She did take a prep class but was awarded a scholarship that covered the cost..

AP testing fees - Only 1 AP test this year and cost was reduced due to our financial situation and assistance offered through the sponsoring university. $35.

AP test prep books -- well worth the money - We did not purchase.

Acceptance fee once she chooses her college -- We didn't encounter an acceptance fee. Tuition deposit was $200 due by May 1st.

Housing down payment - $200, also due by May 1st.

Doctor's visit for college health form & vaccinations - Covered by insurance.

College orientation fee -- This will be included as part of the tuition bill so we haven't had to pay yet.

Dorm stuff like lamps and bedsheets - We have some of the things she'll need, she won a few things at grad night, and she received some small items as grad gifts. She is planning to use some of her gift money and money she earns this summer to pay for most of the dorm stuff.

Laptop for college - She is happy with her apple laptop and it is working fine but grandparents offered to pay for a less expensive laptop or put the expected amount toward a new apple if she wants one

Prom expenses -- possibly other special events such as Homecoming dances, Semi-formal, Volleyball Banquet, etc. -

Homecoming - Wore last year's Christmas dress (bought with this in mind). She paid for her ticket and dinner with her friends (they went as a group).

Prom - Ordered a great dress on clearance and it was perfect for $82. Splurged on the shoes - Toms - but she's already worn them a lot so they are not just one-time or only dress-up shoes. Grandma offered to pay for jewelry and other grandma gave her a vintage clutch. Our regular hairstylist gave her an up-do for $25. We splurged on a manicure and brow wax using coupons for a total cost of less than $20. She went with a group of friends and paid for the ticket herself which was $60. No limo. A group of the girls spent the night here afterward and I bought some snacks and breakfast for about $10.

Band Banquet - Annual expense, she wears her Christmas dress each year so no extra cost.

Extra activity expenses due to being a senior - The senior band parents do extra things for the seniors so we have an additional $75 fee. I was the coordinating parent so I had a few extra expenses myself. Since she was a senior my dd really wanted me to go along on the fall band trip. I went as a chaperone which covered most of the cost. As a senior captain/section leader for two activities dd had extra expenses for goodie bags and other items for the other members but covered those costs herself. Regular activity fees covered things like the gifts the seniors gave coaches.

Senior picnic, breakfast, grad night . . . whatever your school hosts. - DD's school does an all-night lock-in for the grads (typical around here). Cost is $100 but you can pay $25 each year which is what we did so we didn't get hit all at once. For this price they were at school from 10:00 pm to 6:00 am. It included a firework show, great food buffet all night, carnival games, inflatables, mechanical bull rides, a DJ, casino games, volleyball and ping pong tournaments, trivia games, a slide show, a hypnotist, an ice sculpture, and many other activities. Each student received a t-shirt, a rolling cooler and many coupons and gift certificates to take home. They also had many raffle prizes. DD won well over $200 worth of items that will be useful for school next year. Of course parents did a great job of soliciting donations and shopping on a budget. Parents organized and hosted the event so we were up all night with the kiddos but it was worth it.

Senior class gift to the school - Included in the above class fee.

School fees, if your student owes money from previous years - DD did not owe any fees. We did have a parking fee but that is the same any year if you choose to drive rather than take the bus.

Graduation party -- even an at-home party will cost money; you'll buy food and drinks at least - Dd's party was themed with the school colors and I had been collecting things found free or on clearance for the past three years in the right colors which helped. I did a few special things that really impressed people for very little cost - displayed the "letterman" framed items described above on the mantle, had a custom matte cut for her cap & gown pic and announcement to work with an existing frame ($5), and made a display of 6 different wallet photos using a multi-business card holder ($6) with a cute homemade sign asking guests to please take one of their favorites. The highlight was an 8' table with a candy/dessert buffet on it in the school colors. I had purchased some candy on clearance a few months before and found a great deal on the rest at a local wholesale distributor. I made cake balls, cake pops and mini cupcakes in school colors for very little cost to be on the buffet as well. This was my splurge but really not much more than if I had ordered a cake from a specialty cake store for the number of guests we had and the guests were really impressed. This was an open house all day and evening (lasted over 11 hours). We lit the fire pit and offered marshmallows for roasting after dark. The kids loved it. There were many grad parties the same day and some of the guests left to go to another and then returned later for the fire & marshmallows. Cheap entertainment compared to the party that hosted a bounce house.

Truthfully the grad party was, without a doubt, our biggest expense but with the exception of a few splurges it was very budget since I'd been stocking up on most items for quite awhile.

I completely agree with the previous posters who said to find out what is important to your child and go with that. We didn't so some things and found frugal ways to work with others. It was an expensive year but we made it work even with our very tight budget. Good luck to parents of the Class of 2014 - have fun!

Cap and gown - obviously, but already prepared. Just a small fee... about $10... and she got to keep everything (although what I will do with the gown I have NO idea!).

We were just at a party over the weekend, and the grad had her gown hanging at the party with a sharpie and all her friends were signing it. My dd, who doesn't go for stuff like that usually, thought it was a pretty cool idea. I guess as long as you have it anyway, and you can't do anything else with it, it's a cool idea for something to do with it for now.

I am subscribing so that I can go back and read this thread another day when I have more time. My DD is going to be a senior in September and I assume I'll find some useful information here. :goodvibes

dd is graduating tomorrow and I will say this was her most expensive year-ever!
She's been working over two years and paid for a lot herself. We paid for things like cap and gown- $30- yearbook baby picture and well wishes-$50 senior pictures- $400 Senior trip- $50 prom $100, not sure what else, but she has paid a lot of things too.

Her graduation party is next week at a local park.
We went in with her best friends family for a double party we're having catered.
This is saving my sanity, since my son is getting married the following week. I would never have been able to throw a graduation party and a wedding within 7 days of each other.

One thing I'm doing for the graduation party I think is cute, (and free) is decorating their card boxes with artwork they did throughout school. I used pool chlorine boxes upside down. the bottom already had a space in it for envelopes. lol
I just fit the art together to cover all the sides with scotch tape. Which will hopefully come off later without ruining the artwork.
Some of the stuff is so adorable. They both had laminated name plates from Kindergarten too I put on the boxes.

Haven't read all 4 pages, so may be duplicating some. Start checking Craigs List NOW for local graduation gowns, this is the time, just after graduation many people are getting rid of theirs. Next spring, they will be buried somewhere in a closet or attic and people don't think about listing them. Also if you can't find one local, I second or third the suggestion to order early, very cheapest is right now and they go up exponentially. Also I ordered graduation announcements on Snapfish, I choose the design and pictures I wanted, it came to $17 for 40 and everybody loved them. Didn't buy any of the school pictures, got a friend who is a hobbyist photographer to take pictures at a local botanical garden this spring, lots of things, blooming. They came out great, way better than the ones the school took, and only spent $25-30 getting the prints and enlargements we wanted. Lots of great suggestions here. Lots of parents think they are trapped into buying like the crowd, but there are lots of alternatives out there.

We were just at a party over the weekend, and the grad had her gown hanging at the party with a sharpie and all her friends were signing it. My dd, who doesn't go for stuff like that usually, thought it was a pretty cool idea. I guess as long as you have it anyway, and you can't do anything else with it, it's a cool idea for something to do with it for now.

Great idea! Thanks for sharing!............P

Looking for alternative annoucements can save a LOT of money. We didn't, and I wish I had. The traditional, formal announcements cost a lot, and were not our D.

I included a photo card from smilebox...a snapshot of D with her college info: Minnie Mouse will be attending the University of Disney, majoring in Happiness, Smiles and Fun. I should have just ordered the photocards and not the formal annoucements from Jostens. I got a lot of positive comments.

I found out that if you wait to order your senior photos until Spring, the company will keep lowering the prices. lol

This time, dd is having the yearbook pic taken at the school, but I will have the senior pic done at the preschool where I sub. They have this amazing portrait photog who shoots the kids pictures there, he uses this to bring in business at his very fancy shmancy high end studio. They let you bring sibs to the preschool picture day, so I asked if I could bring my girl in. I will get a pack with 8x10 and smaller photos, shot by a top guy, for about $80.

We just finished our senior year officially Friday night. This year has been such an expensive one. One other thing to think about when adding up your expenses is to not forget about once they have chosen their college, you will be paying different fees ahead of time. So not only was I paying out for high school expenses....we had the college ones too which we hadn't factored. We also had to pay for 6 college classes for our son to take his senior year in high school. Again an added expense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter