Budget - High School Senior Year

?? Your school has you buy a cap and gown?? Our school here provide them and then you give them back when you are done with them- if you don't give it back they withold your diploma until you give it back! Never heard of anyplace that made you buy one- what in the world do you do with it after the 2 hours that you use it??? The cap and gown go back and the tassel you keep.

We had to buy ours and they were more than $9.99 but I don't remember how much. I have twins so I had to buy two. One of my girls decorated the top of her cap so it wouldn't be able to be passed on to someone else (doubt anyone would want her bedazzled cap :rotfl: )

I don't think my girls would let me give their gowns away, I think they want to keep them. But if they decide they want to, that is fine with me.

?? Your school has you buy a cap and gown?? Our school here provide them and then you give them back when you are done with them- if you don't give it back they withold your diploma until you give it back! Never heard of anyplace that made you buy one- what in the world do you do with it after the 2 hours that you use it??? The cap and gown go back and the tassel you keep.

We had to pay $50 to RENT for high school grad. There was an additional fee for kids who did not turn them in.

For College, they paid $50 to BUY them. (PSU went with "Green" gowns and caps made from recylced materials. The kids felt like they were sitting in black garbage bags out on the field with sun beaming down at them!)

We have twins so all grad expenses were double.

Thanks Mrs. Pete for the exhaustive list! I appreciate ALL the items you listed (even if they're to prepare for college) because they are all money that will be spent this school year.

PJ - I'd be interested in your ideas for friends' grad gifts - I hadn't even thought about that.

Our DS will also be graduating this June and all my wife and I keep seeing/hearing is you owe this for this and this for that. I'll be honest, I don't think we realized just how expensive it was going to be. We have had 2 parent meetings so far. The first meeting, I really thought DW was going to fall over. My DW works at the school where our kids go. During the meeting, the lady in charge announced that my DW had offered to help co-chair all of the Chem-free activities this year........She had not! The lady in charge knew by announcing to the entire group that my DW would be put on the spot. My wife is always the parent that will help out....just wasn't ready for THAT much of a commitment! Our Chem-free is an awesome program that after graduation, puts on a lock in. For all of the money that the seniors raise during the year goes to put this event on. They have huge prizes such as a used car, laptops, little fridges....etc that they give away. It is a wonderful event, but will end up costing us at least a couple hundred during the year.

Then we have the senior trip to Orlando. It is costing 1275.00 per child. Now mind you, we are in what I would consider a low income district where MANY of the students can not afford this. Yes, it is a great trip, but 1275 is a LOT of money. They could have come up with something for half that price and the kids still could have had a great trip. That money has to be paid by Jan. 15th.

Our son is also taking several college courses this year. Yes, it is a great opportunity and the courses are MUCH cheaper than what they charge as a Freshman, but my son will be attending a very large University in the fall and will be covered 100% with my GI Bill.So for the other students at our school, it's an incredible deal.....for us, not so much. Yes, he is getting 6 Freshman classes over with but had he taken them IN college, I wouldn't be paying for them. So another added expense.

Our senior pictures, we went with a smaller less fancy local place. The quality is awesome. I paid right around 200.00 and we were able to have pictures taken in our school gymnasium (basketball pics), up on the island along the river, and at their studio. Mind you, my sons friends all went with the 2 big name studios. The cheapest paid was 790.00 and the most expensive was over 1200.00. I'm sorry, but that is just NUTS!

At this time my DS has only applied to his dream school and has gotten in. In his mind and ours we really hadn't planned to apply anywhere else but his guidance counselor wants him to apply to at least 5 more. We had to pay for that application fee. However, we have gotten information from MANY colleges that offer to waive their application fees if my son will apply to their school. Yes, my son is a very good student who is involved in things and plays sports so I don't know if this is why we keep hearing from schools offering these things or not. Also, if you are lower income, schools can/will in many cases waive this fee. PLEASE, do take advantage of this! This also applies to taking their SAT's and ACT's. Your guidance department can help you with this. They have vouchers for this. My son's best friend was not going to take them. Because My wife works at school, She was familiar with this.

These are just some of our expenses. Sure would LOVE to win the lottery!

Going to the extreme, you can also keep in mind that many of these things are options not necessity's. You can graduate and survive without announcements, proms, trips, rings or parties. Even attending graduation is an option. :-)

Our local thrift store often has graduation gowns.

Some kids would rather have a little cash rather than go to prom. Few people actually wear their senior rings once they graduate...

Seriously?
Seriously. I remember learning that in several places as a child -- most noteably from my grandmother, but also in an ettiquette class in Girl Scouts and also in elementary school.
OH MY! That list is LONG! But I can honestly say, I've never heard of most of this stuff with regards to our high school! But I can honestly say THANK YOU for the big heads up! You are right.... all of this stuff can nickel and dime you to death!! ..............................P
Thought of another one: National Honor drapes and/or honor cords. These aren't a large expense, but all those litle things add up.
Nope, in this area everyone buys, and at $9.99 it's hard to complain about it. I am aware that some areas rent, and I've always wondered how the rental people make any money, given that they'd have to invest in all those sizes and then store them for the whole year.

As for using them again, I've seen a few turn up in skits here and there (i.e., judges' robes), or as Halloween costumes. I saw a few "Dementors" wearing black grad robes at the midnight Harry Potter premier -- I started to type last summer, but now I think that's wrong. Can it be two summers ago?
Thanks Mrs. Pete for the exhaustive list! I appreciate ALL the items you listed (even if they're to prepare for college) because they are all money that will be spent this school year.
Someone else commented that certain items were "college expenses" not "senior year expenses". I personally didn't think of them as separate items, though some costs had to do with high school, while others had to do with preparation for college. I paid it all while she was a senior.
Ours are super-cheap quality -- semi-disposable almost. No one uses an older sibling's robe because a new tassle with the correct year costs $8, while a whole new package costs only $9.99. You'd never find one in a thrift store, but -- again -- for the cost, who cares?

Our cap/gown minimum package is $56. My son will be using his older brothers. It's a little on the short side for him, but we're hoping he can trade with someone.

PJ - I'd be interested in your ideas for friends' grad gifts - I hadn't even thought about that.

Check out Pinterest for lots of gift ideas. I think we are leaning towards a small basket/bag for each friend with a "Study Night" theme. Thinking of including a jar of 1-2-3 individual cake mix (found idea/recipe on Pinterest), a carton of shelf-stable organic chocolate milk (available by the case at Costco), a few highlighters and pens (bought earlier this year at Staples on their 1 cent sales), peppermints Lifesavers (scent of peppermint is said to be good for concentrating/learning). I think we can do it for $5 or under for each bag.

Going to the extreme, you can also keep in mind that many of these things are options not necessity's. You can graduate and survive without announcements, proms, trips, rings or parties. Even attending graduation is an option. :-)

Some kids would rather have a little cash rather than go to prom. Few people actually wear their senior rings once they graduate...

AMEN! The first voice of reason! ................P

Why is there such a need for announcements/pictures/rings, etc.?

One daughter is a senior in college this year, the other a senior in high school. We have never ordered announcements/pictures/rings. I just feel they are a waste of money, for my family, anyway.

When I receive announcements, it is "oh, that's nice", then in the garbage. I already know this person's child graduated, and they will receive a gift from me if we are close, so I just view the announcement as a waste of money. Other than maybe adding it to a scrapbook, I don't see the need.

Same with pictures. So I get a picture of cousin so-and-so's senior picture. Maybe I toss it into the box of pictures waiting to be put in a photo album. Again, a waste of money for the parents, because really, who else is going to put the same value on your child's senior picture that you the parent will? I mean, I think my daughters are amazing and awesome, and I love having their pictures around me, but I don't expect anyone else to put up my children's pictures. Plus, we take pictures all year long, those shots of my children mean so much more than a posed studio picture.

Class ring, as my eldest said to her little sister that thought she wanted one, "you won't wear it at college, no one cares". I don't mind buying her a special piece of jewelry that she will wear, to commemorate this stage in her life, and that she will wear in later years, but a class ring that will just be placed in a jewelry box come college, I don't see the need. Perhaps class rings were more important back when not as many people went to college, but there is such a push for college now, I would think college ring would be more significant, no?

I did buy my daughters a tassel with their school colours and graduation date, it was not expensive, and I will attach it to the 2013 Graduation Minnie that I am hoping the Disney Store carries again this year! ::yes:: Nowhere near the cost of announcements, et al, and this is something that my daughters do value.

Perhaps it also helps that for my side of the family, mostly all in Europe, this stuff is not done there. For my DH's side, eh, no one really cares what happens with anyone else. Our family friends all know my kids, know what happens in our lives, so I just don't see the need to send them pictures and announcements.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with going all out and buying the graduation stuff, just that for me, I don't see the purpose. Instead, we are taking one big, last family vacation with all of us together, before life beckons my children to live their own lives. For my family, that type of spending for graduation makes much more sense! :thumbsup2

Cap & Gown were $47.25, including tax & paid for I think the 3rd week of school.

Not doing graduation announcements. I've already had a few friends ask "Why not? Everyone we sent one to sent a check to my child." I agree with the previous posters who've said that the people who matter already know my son is graduating in June.

Haven't ordered senior pics yet. Waiting for cap & gown photos to be taken and then will order. Not planning on ordering a lot. Other than us & the grandparents, I can't imagine anyone wanting to display his pic. I think my siblings would be more likely to display a family pic or pic of my 4 boys together at his graduation.

I will be paying $125 for a 1/4 page ad in the yearbook that will have 2 pictures and fits up to 75 words. Haven't quite figured out what to write, but planning to use a pic of him in his Power Wheels jeep when he was 2 and a picture with his new car. (New to him...it's a '98)

Well that's true, and some kids aren't going to college and won't have the expenses associate with applying and testing either, but I think it's helpful to list out all of the possible expenses, then posters can decide what they will need to budget for. Some people won't need to buy caps and gowns, some will. I will, but it's something I hadn't thought about before so I'm glad it's been mentioned.

I also think it's really helpful to mention ways to save on these expenses, such as checking the thrift store or passing down caps and gowns. I'm not sure how much ours cost, but that may be an option for me so I'm definitely keeping it in mind.

I think it's helpful to list out all of the possible expenses, then posters can decide what they will need to budget for.

I completely agree! Most of the items on MrsPete's lost were done at my daughter's high school. I had no idea about half of it. I wish I had seen a thread like this when she was a junior because I would have started saving a bit each month for senior year expenses. Listing these items doesn't mean that your child has to do everything and, really, NOTHING is absolutely necessary to graduate other than you child passing the required classes. Still it is a milestone in most lives that deserves some celebration IMHO. If your child is going on to college there will be expenses in that process as well. Saving the money doesn't mean it has to be spent.

This is what I have spent so far:
Senior Dues: $100---includes cap and gown
Baby Ads: $200
Senior Pictures: $150
Yearbook: $70
Fall Preview for first college--$20 and then $50 in gas
Act Prep--$340--2 different teachers
ACT-$80
He was on Homecoming court, but we bought nothing
Prom--last year he got tux for free--had so many friends rent from same place -- he paid for everything last year...would not let us help
Senior Parties will start in March
Graduation Celebration at church--the moms split the cost
Graduation Party--going in with a friend
Graduation announcements we are doing ourselves.
This also does not include Club fees, Drama cost of travel and such

This does not include Senior Trip--$1500 mission trip to Trinidad--he is paying at least half.

Other things like shirts, football games, sporting events...he pays for...we are blessed he has never asked for much. If he has money he wants to pay...

I STARTED SAVING IN THE SPRING BECAUSE I KNEW THIS YEAR WAS GONG TO COST!

My dd is graduating this year, too. For us, I think the largest expense is going to be getting the house ready for the graduation party! :rotfl2: I am finally getting my kitchen re-done and have a big list of stuff I want painted or fixed before school is out! :thumbsup2

I don't think our expenses are too bad. I decided to try taking her to Sears for pictures (I'd looked around and those had the best prices with shots I liked). They ended up turning out great! I got the cd and printed extras at Mpix.com, beautiful! So, cost under $200. We'll take her this spring and do some outside shots ourselves.

I don't plan on doing the announcements, just open house invites. I might get a couple for her scrapbook. I'll do something where I put her graduation picture on a photo card. They have some really cute ones, now!

Yearbooks is same as always- $55. I am undecided about whether or not I want to spend $35 on the senior page. She won't even get her yearbook until next Sept, so I don't think at that point she'll care much when she's started college. I might just write a letter myself and put it in there.

ACT was required and free at school last year.

She got her class ring last year for Christmas.
They don't do trips here, but we are going to Disney at end of Jan. as a family.

DD bought a dress from her friend for Homecoming ($15) and we found a beautiful prom dress at a resale shop we just went into to kill time for under $20! So, this should be the cheapest of all years in the formal dress department! :cool1:

I'm not sure how much the cap/gown/tassel/honor cords cost, but I'm sure it isn't that much.

Our biggest expenses were her sports fees, but those aren't any different for being a senior. And since we bought her a car this summer, that's been a lot of extra expenses.

Well that's true, and some kids aren't going to college and won't have the expenses associate with applying and testing either, but I think it's helpful to list out all of the possible expenses, then posters can decide what they will need to budget for. Some people won't need to buy caps and gowns, some will. I will, but it's something I hadn't thought about before so I'm glad it's been mentioned.

I also think it's really helpful to mention ways to save on these expenses, such as checking the thrift store or passing down caps and gowns. I'm not sure how much ours cost, but that may be an option for me so I'm definitely keeping it in mind.
Yes, it's good to know what options are likely to be on the table -- then you can pick what you yourself are likely to buy. For example, my girls aren't athletes, so we aren't going to buy letter jackets -- but most of those other items are general things that apply to all seniors.
:confused3 This confuses me. If you read through the thread, almost everyone has mentioned things their kids aren't doing.
People are pointing out what's not really required, but it's gone a bit extreme. If you really wanted to spend as little money as possible, you wouldn't have had the child in the first place -- but spending as little money as possible probably wasn't your goal.

Unless you're really in dire circumstances, the goal shouldn't be to figure out how you can cut costs to the core and spend as few dollars as possible. Rather, the goal should be to decide what matters to your family and to spend thoughtfully on what matters to you and your student. Most seniors would be disappointed to have NO celebration as they finish high school, and most would be disappointed to have NO hoop-la as they step into the world of adulthood. The real question is, How much is right for your student, your family, and your checkbook?

Rather, the goal should be to decide what matters to your family and to spend thoughtfully on what matters to you and your student. Most seniors would be disappointed to have NO celebration as they finish high school, and most would be disappointed to have NO hoop-la as they step into the world of adulthood. The real question is, How much is right for your student, your family, and your checkbook?

I never got a party for graduating from HS or College!! I got to go to grad all nighter after HS but no party or celebration in our house, I did good getting my parents to come watch me get my diploma from HS. College my EX BF took me, and we got into a royal fight. My parents didn't bother to even come to that graduation. I would have been fine with them saying they were proud of me and taking me out for dinner.

Today ds is having his meeting covering all things senior, looking forward to being overwhelmed :confused3 I have a child graduating every other year and with 2 boys and 1 girl Im going to have to buy 3 gowns. No hand me downs here. Boys wear blue, girls wear red and honors classes wear white. And I have one of each.

If you do order the "official senior announcements", you will have to order a minimum of 100 engraved name cards (which are inserted into the generic announcement. You will probably only mail out 25 announcements at the most. I would suggest holding onto the "leftovers", if your child is going on for additional schooling. I used my leftover high school name cards for three additional graduations - AA, BA, MA. :)

One word of advice is to really listen to your kids and see what really is and is not important to them. Do they really really want a class ring or do they just think it's part of the plan. How important is a new expensive senior prom dress? Would they really be ok with another one? I found out my son really did not care about a lot of the stuff and just was going along with what he was suppose to do. Picture are mostly for you, we choose not to buy the expensive school shots. Start there and then make choices based on what they truly want and what you can afford. Nothing wrong with a part time job if the two of you can not come to an agreement.

I agree! I really thought I was going to pay for a $400 ring until I talked to my daughter and she informed me she wanted the 'Hoodie' and not the ring. That saved me about $350.00!

We also had a family member take her Senior pictures! We picked a great location (Red Rocks Amphitheater) and she took about 150 pictures! We found one that my DD loved (me too) and took it to Office Max for copies and the required pictures for the yearbook. Total cost was $93.00. Much less that the hundreds I had been quoted. Framed senior pictures are also going to be family Christmas Gifts.

I'm still trying to figure out what we are going to do about the announcements so I'm off to read the rest of this thread! :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter