Budget gifts for Preschool teachers

ardig123

Mouseketeer
I am sure you all have some great ideas...my DD's last day of Pre school is tomorrow and normally the whole class would pool money together to buy a giftcard for each of the 3 teachers. We would usually give a total of $15 per student...$5 per each teacher and since there are about 24 kids in the class each teacher would end up with at least a $100 giftcard. My DD was sick all last week and now I found out this week nobody arranged for a group gift and it is too late for me to do so...any ideas of something affordable that I can do for 3 preschool teachers? TIA!!:goodvibes

Last year we gave my DD's preschool teacher a movie night bucket.

bucket of popcorn (Blockbuster)
Blockbuster gift card
candy
soda

Wrapped it up nice and she had a free movie night

I have to tell you that I get so frustrated by all the talk of gifts.

Today was our last day. I got flowers, note cards, and lots of gift cards. All are appreciated.

From one child we received a card that was made on the computer. She had scanned in the child's photo, and typed something personal for each of us that her DD had enjoyed at school. The child signed it. It had all of us in choked up. No $ spent, very little time, personal and priceless.

I would call each parent and ask for their child's favorite memory from school. Type it up nicely and frame it ($ Tree) and give it to the teachers. It will be treasured forever. If you have time go in the am then have all the kids sign the mat. If you can include a class photo that would be great too. Or, call all the parents and ask them to make a quick thank you card with a memory attached. Collect them all and deliver with a nice plant.

OK.. off soapbox
Good luck!

Oops.. one more thing..

Also, take a moment to have your kid go up to the teacher afterward with a goodbye and a thank you. Tell the teacher how much you appreciate their efforts. That is what we talk about and remember.

Gift cards are the hands down favorite at our school. They can be as small as 5.00 for Starbucks or Wal-mart or enough for a nice meal. I have gotten and loved both. Hanging baskets are popluar too.

Avoid-
mugs, candles, stuffed animals, "teacher items"

If it is a small school and they know you well, homemaid goodies are fine too.

We love pictures of your child but avoid huge framed ones. We have our own kids to put on the wall. A nice note in a card is VERY special as well.

How about a new beach bag with suncreen and towel? I did this a couple times for teachers and they all seemed to genuinely like it. Spent under $20. Walmart and Target have some cute ones now.

Today was our last day. I got flowers, note cards, and lots of gift cards. All are appreciated.

From one child we received a card that was made on the computer. She had scanned in the child's photo, and typed something personal for each of us that her DD had enjoyed at school. The child signed it. It had all of us in choked up. No $ spent, very little time, personal and priceless.

I would call each parent and ask for their child's favorite memory from school. Type it up nicely and frame it ($ Tree) and give it to the teachers. It will be treasured forever. If you have time go in the am then have all the kids sign the mat. If you can include a class photo that would be great too. Or, call all the parents and ask them to make a quick thank you card with a memory attached. Collect them all and deliver with a nice plant.

OK.. off soapbox
Good luck!

Oops.. one more thing..

Also, take a moment to have your kid go up to the teacher afterward with a goodbye and a thank you. Tell the teacher how much you appreciate their efforts. That is what we talk about and remember.

Hey....since I don't know you...do you get sick of apple themed gifts?

I agree with gift card. Get it for a place where you don't need a lot of money to get something--Starbuck's, you can get away with $5. For $15, I'd go for Walmart, Target, etc.--anywhere she can get something for herself but also replenish school supplies--teachers have to spend so much of their own money on that stuff!

Hey....since I don't know you...do you get sick of apple themed gifts?

but I have to admit that quite a few things have ended up in the garage sale box.. especially the mugs.

The only apple thing I think I have received was a very nice ceramic box with an apple on top that the mother had made. It was years ago and I still have it.

The lotions I give away as I'm just not into that stuff. I've garage-saled ornaments (we already have tons from my own kids that don't fit on our tree) and most of the mugs. Jewelery I've also gotten rid of as I have very small wrists and fingers and they don't work. I did get a really cute pin set one year of a boy and girl that I wear.

Gift cards are nice.. but I would rather have a home-made card any day. :) Out of 40 kids I only received 2 this year.

My husband and I swear that teachers are saints. We get frustrated with our two, can't imagine 15-30 of them.

I just always wanted to ask that question. Our teachers would feel too guilty to say "yes, no more apples, please".

We're adding the handmade cards in with our gift cards.

I like the homeade gifts best. I get all kinds of oddity. Last week a child made me a lego police car and a card that said " Your my favorite teacher cause you smell pretty." Made me chuckle and it was a thought out gift. Made me relize that my kids do listen to me.

I usually get gift cards to DUnkin Donuts or Starbucks etc for my son's preschool teachers. He also has three teachers. The teachers always seem to really like them and even thank me when they've maybe used one in the morning b/4 I drop my son off. I also include a personal thank you note from DH & I and my son always make his own handmade card for their teachers.

Another idea is potted plants. I am a former teacher and loved getting plants that I could put in my garden. :)

I wanted to do something *teachery* like a tote bag to carry stuff to/from school, etc. BUT I went to the mall the other night and hit up Things Remembered. They had little bracelets 2/$29 that were perfect because my daughters preschool class were the Froggies and one of the bracelets had green beads with a little frog ...

Both teachers seemed to really like it

I did hanging baskets with a card(signed by my 4yo) containing a Walmart gift card. I figured this was the best way to go since one of the teachers is having gastric bypass surgery next week. She certainly wouldn't appreciate anything edible.

For teacher appreciation week, I put together an 8 x 8 scrapbook for DDs teacher with a 2 page layout for each child in the class. Each child was asked to send a photo and decorate a piece of 4 x 6 cardstock, which I supplied (I'm the room mom). I bought cardstock in primary colors and found adorable school themed pattern paper, so each layout had a solid and a pattern. It turned out really cute, and I think it meant a lot to the teacher.

For the end of the year, I am going to give each teacher a potted plant with a homemade sign in it from DD and DS that says thanks for helping me grow (or something similar) and that they decorate. I saw that in a Family Fun magazine and thought it was cute. Home Goods had beautiful pots for $5 and up.

We just got a themed basket today. Apples to apples (the game), Some red apple pens, some apple scented lotions, a apple frame, and some foam apples. No clue what were going to do with all the apples since Were the "Red Apple class" and have been getting apples every year.

I don't care for gift cards I think they say... I don't care enough to know who you are and what you like. But That is just me.

In the past I have done a few different things with the "aple theme"
I have make baskets of apple butter, apple tea, carmel apple and other interesting apple "food" items I find along with some recipe I find with apples in it.

Other teachers (not DD's) have come up to and said it was the best gift they had ever seen and wished I was in thier class.

Many of the items can be held for months and enjoyed with their families.

I try to think of these things early and buy items on sale.

I try to take the time to get to know the teacher and find out what they and thier families like or what is going on with them.

Once I had a teacher who lost her dog due to cancer, I was able to get a picture of the dog. I scanned the picture added a little poem and we made a nice little framed memory for her. I saw her a few weeks ago and she brought up how she has it hanging in her hall.

OK.. off soapbox
Good luck!

Oops.. one more thing..

Thank you so much for posting!

I was a headstart teacher for years! (Disabled now) The things some of those kids said, the ideas they came up with!...It's the best job in the world!
Our parents had no extra money, but often they shared of themselves!...invited us to birthdays, dinners, etc. That was great! I treasure my memories, and the concrete reminders of those days: photos, paintings, etc.

That said, I have been class parent every year for my child's teachers, and have enjoyed picking out gifts: a book with pages contributed by each child and a spa certificate for the stressed out first year teacher, cash and homemade cookies and a photo record of the year.

It is really hard to get everyone on board with a group gift.

When I bake something nut free, I always bring some in randomly throughout the year. Who doesn't need a sugar rush?:dance3:

In this economy I think the thoughtful gift is coming back en vogue

my 2c
Teachers teach because they love it!
It is nice to be appreciated!
Personal gifts are the best!

PS: mi soapbox es su soapbox!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter