Budget friendly healthy lunches for work

smile145

Mouseketeer
In an effort to both save money and eat more healthy, I am going to start bringing lunch every day to work. I am looking for ideas on healthy lunch ideas for variety.

I have access to a fridge and microwave at work.

Thanks for any ideas!

Leftovers. I started eating at my desk after my kids started private school. If you have a healthy meal at home for dinner, eat the rest of it at work. Also, fruit is great for snacks. Not sure which plan you are on, but I also keep unsalted almonds at my desk. I like ham, and I have been eating the luncheon ham in the suggested servings (not in a sandwich, by itself). It is marked as being low in fat and calories, and I have been losing. Good luck.

I take yogurt, leftovers, sandwiches, salads and frozen meals (Healthy Choice usually, when they're on sale). I save quite a bit over our cafeteria. I also drink water at lunch.

Leftovers! Cook a bit more than needed and have lunch ready the next day. Another idea is make a weekly pot of vegetable soup to quickly warm up when hunger strikes :-)

I love to bring salads for lunch. I bring half an avocado and add it when I am ready to eat. I eat mainly Paleo so avocado is in. I know it's most likely out on other plans. But if I have my salad without that half an avocado I am starving in 2 hours. With it I'm good to go for 3-4 hours. I also love to squeeze half a lemon on my salad instead of dressing. Fat free and zesty. Make sure you have a decent amount of protein on your salad so it is filling. I love grilled chicken and in a pinch just eat off a rotisserie chicken all week. Just a few ounces at each meal so I don't over do it on processed chicken.

I also like to eat lettuce wraps a lot. Bring 3-4 romaine leaves. Add a slice of turkey and some apple slices and then roll up. Also tasty with mustard and so low in fat. If you can have avocado, add it to the wraps. You can add and use other lunch meat as well.

In the winter I make lots of butternut squash soup (no cream or butter) and broth to sip on. Low in fat and very filling.

I second having fruit on hand for hungry horrors. I keep juice only fruit cups at work (read the labels, a lot use aspartame) was well as bring some baby carrots and grapes. I don't like peppers but friends swear by a mini crudités with lunch every day to help them feel full, no dressing though, just veggies.

It's hard but I find I only eat what I have with me (I teach so I have no access to any food but the food I bring from home. No way I'd eat the kids lunch choices). It can be easy to follow a plan if you not eat what's in your lunchbox. Oh, I forgot hard boiled eggs if you can have them. I bring three and eat one whole egg and the whites from the other 2.

Good luck!

I take my lunch everyday during the school year. It's either that or cafeteria food!:scared1:

If I have leftovers from dinner, I'll package them up in individual containers so DH and I can take them to work. It might be chicken, rice and veggies, or pasta and veggies. I also make sandwiches on bread, pitas or tortillas for variety. Sometimes I just take string cheese and lunchmeat to roll around it. If I'm feeling ambitious, I take cut up veggies and dip as a side dish. I usually take an apple and yogurt to dip it in, plus a bag of baked chips or pretzels (if I bring a sandwich).

The key for me is to always make my lunch the night before. It makes mornings so much easier. I also make my boys' lunches along with mine so we just grab them from the fridge before we go.

DH takes leftovers most days. When we have a lot of extra (like a lasagna or soup) I portion it out and freeze it in individual servings. This gives options when there are no leftovers. He also likes tuna salad sandwiches or egg salad sandwiches. I make him some granola bars and he has yogurts that he takes.

One thing that he does to help his water intake is he took a Brita pitcher to work and keeps that in fridge. Then he fills his reusable bottle with that.

My schedule is so crazy I have to pack a meal And it had to survive 5 plus hours in a lunch bag with an ice pack. My favorite things to pack are grapes and carrots ( taste great cold but still taste good at warmer temp) and I generally pack a pb&j for the sandwich. I use different hfcs free jams and jellies to mix it up. I also always have cliff bars (careful though! Some can be a meal in themselves calorie wise) and trail mix in my bag. And generally a cookie or two finds its way into my box. It's the Keebler elves I swear ;)

In an effort to both save money and eat more healthy, I am going to start bringing lunch every day to work. I am looking for ideas on healthy lunch ideas for variety.

I have access to a fridge and microwave at work.

Thanks for any ideas!

I eat Lean Cuisine at work. It's healthy and ll you do is put it in the microwave.

I recommend the Sesame Chicken. :)

Dont know if this will work for you but I have formed a healthy eating lunch group at my work with three (sometimes four) others. Once a week we bring a healthy low cal lunch for everyone. As one of us is on WeightWatchers, we set a rule that it cant be more than 10 points(plus system)per serving, but that doesn't limit us to WW recipes. You can figure aout the points on any recipe. We have tried many recipes that we find on the web and some have been terrific- if not it is only one lunch and no one makes that recipe again. Because you have lunch "duty" only once a week, it seems like less hassle and you end up eating something different every day. For the fifth day we might schedule a potluck salad day. Someone is assigned to bring the lettuce and everyone else brings one or two items to put in a tossed salad. Then we have a build your own salad line at lunch. Occaisionally, we get off track because of multiple vacations, but we always get it going again. I think we all know that we eat better and spend less on lunches with the group system

I eat Lean Cuisine at work. It's healthy and ll you do is put it in the microwave.

I recommend the Sesame Chicken. :)

Any processed food isn't really 'healthy' - read Pandora's Lunchbox to understand why.

And as for your Lean Cuisine Sesame Chicken, one of the ingredients is Autolyzed Yeast Extract which is MSG. It also has maltodextrin which is an empty filler - it has no nutrients. Another bad ingredient is partially hydrogenated soybean or cottonseed oil. Then there's isolated soy protein - basically soy that has been stripped of all it's vitamins and minerals - it's a filler so they don't have to use much actual chicken. Another ingredient is 'flavor' since it's not even called 'natural flavor' I have a feeling it's some nasty stuff since 'natural' flavor isn't natural in the least. If you pick apart the ingredients...it's just not pretty.

Low calorie does not mean healthy.

To the OP - get some chicken breasts. Grill them up and then chop. Add them to a fresh made salad - use whatever veggies you like. For dressing use salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar & olive oil. Now that is a healthy meal.

Any processed food isn't really 'healthy' - read Pandora's Lunchbox to understand why.

And as for your Lean Cuisine Sesame Chicken, one of the ingredients is Autolyzed Yeast Extract which is MSG. It also has maltodextrin which is an empty filler - it has no nutrients. Another bad ingredient is partially hydrogenated soybean or cottonseed oil. Then there's isolated soy protein - basically soy that has been stripped of all it's vitamins and minerals - it's a filler so they don't have to use much actual chicken. Another ingredient is 'flavor' since it's not even called 'natural flavor' I have a feeling it's some nasty stuff since 'natural' flavor isn't natural in the least. If you pick apart the ingredients...it's just not pretty.

Low calorie does not mean healthy.

To the OP - get some chicken breasts. Grill them up and then chop. Add them to a fresh made salad - use whatever veggies you like. For dressing use salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar & olive oil. Now that is a healthy meal.

That's true a lot of frozen foods are unhealthy because they are processed. However Amy's makes frozen meals that are a little bit healthier than Lean Cuisines and other frozen meals. They make all different types like gluten free, dairy free, ect. They also have soups. I don't know if you like that but you mentioned you have access to a microwave.

Apple - slice it up and dip in peanut butter
Greek yogurt
Tuna salad (made with very little mayo) rolled on romaine leaves
Leftovers
Salad- make sure it has a lean protein in it

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

(low fat) Peanut Butter and Banana sandwiches
Tuna or egg salad sandwiches
homemade rice and bean burritos (on whole wheat tortilla)
salad w/ grilled chicken or chick peas instead of meat
veggie burgers (Our lunch room has a toaster oven)
left overs from dinner

Then for snacks I keep at my desk:
Pretzels, bananas, apples, granola bars

Once in a while I will bring yogurts, low fat cheese sticks, frozen bean/cheese burritos that I will keep in the fridge.

Bringing lunch is so much cheaper and healthier too!

That's true a lot of frozen foods are unhealthy because they are processed. However Amy's makes frozen meals that are a little bit healthier than Lean Cuisines and other frozen meals. They make all different types like gluten free, dairy free, ect. They also have soups. I don't know if you like that but you mentioned you have access to a microwave.

True, but they aren't cheap usually. At that price point, it may make sense to make your own lunches.

And for people trying to lose weight, unprocessed foods are better since it takes more energy (calories) for your body to process that food. They also have their vitamins and minerals intact. Processed food has literally been beaten by machines so your stomach doesn't have to work as hard to break it down. It really gets down to not all calories are created equal.

I love this "salad" I make - I slice up cucumbers, tomatoes, a fresh jalapeno or two, and some red onion. Throw in a bowl with the juice of 2 limes and some sea salt. It's SO summer-y. I usually have a few slices of sharp cheddar, or a small protein with it (hard boiled egg, small piece of fish, etc). It's really good, really easy, really cheap. And it stretches over 3 or so meals. bonus!

I bring salad every day for lunch. Half a bagged salad ($2 to $2.49 for the bag) with a piece of ham and a little bit of cheddar and balsamic salad dressing. A piece of fresh fruit what ever is in season. We have a Keurig machine at that we can use for free so I have make an iced tea to drink with my lunch. Lunch for less than $4. Sometimes in the winter I will make a big pot of chili or lentil soup and take that with a piece of fruit all week. And there is always leftovers.

I'm vegan; some things I bring for lunch are:
-hummus with cut up vegetables to dip in it.
-a trail mix of dried fruit, seeds and nuts (usually with some veggies as well in another container)
-salsa with something to scoop it up with - cucumber slices, pepper slices, sometimes corn chips
-leftover bean and veggie soups (eat cold or microwave)
-baked kale chips for snack or side
-cherry tomatoes
-other fruit (grapes, apples, clementines, kiwi are my favourites)
-chickpea poppers (chickpeas with a little oil and Indian spices, baked and cooled)

TP

I'm vegan; some things I bring for lunch are:
-hummus with cut up vegetables to dip in it.
-a trail mix of dried fruit, seeds and nuts (usually with some veggies as well in another container)
-salsa with something to scoop it up with - cucumber slices, pepper slices, sometimes corn chips
-leftover bean and veggie soups (eat cold or microwave)
-baked kale chips for snack or side
-cherry tomatoes
-other fruit (grapes, apples, clementines, kiwi are my favourites)
-chickpea poppers (chickpeas with a little oil and Indian spices, baked and cooled)

TP

My kale chips always become crumble. How do you deal with them? If you don't mind me asking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter