• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Budget Christmas Confessions

I have spent the last 3 weeks subtly convincing DD5 that Merida is her new favorite princess...

...because I got a whole set of Merida stuff on deep discount after Halloween and that's one of her Christmas presents. :rotfl:
When I was a kid, I wanted an Easy-Bake Oven. All the girls had them or they had asked Santa for one. Christmas morning arrived and instead of an Easy-Bake Oven, there was a Suzy Homemaker Oven sitting under the tree. It just wasn't the same, even though the Suzy Homemaker was a better toy.

For that reason, I never tried to convince my kids that something I wanted them to have is also something that they want.

I never tried to convince my kids that something I wanted them to have is also something that they want.
I totally agree with this. IMO, it is a waste of money if you give your child a gift they don't want/like because it isn't going to be played with. If child likes Cinderella but Belle is on sale, giving her Belle (that she doesn't want) is not very budget in the end. It is best to just not give her either. Of course this is all my opinion and yours may differ and that is fine.

Now I "made" my daughter like Cinderella but that was because she was too little to have an opinion. Her 1st Birthday was Cinderella Themed because that was what the store had. Not sure if this is why to this day (21+ years later) she still likes Cinderella best or not.

We asked our 11 and 26 year old if they would rather have several things we "thought" they would want or one thing "they" wanted.....unanimous vote for the latter.

We asked our 11 and 26 year old if they would rather have several things we "thought" they would want or one thing "they" wanted.....unanimous vote for the latter.

And my DD15 will tell you the best Christmas gifts she's gotten have been the things she never asked for, but I got because I thought she'd like them. I went largely off list this year - as I often do - and I know she will be happier than if I got the same-old clothes and other miscellaneous stuff she asked for.

Just last night "Santa Mom" surprised her with an early gift of a 4 foot white Christmas tree and ornaments for her bedroom. She was THRILLED with the surprise and has been going on and on all day about how much she loves it. But she never asked for it - it never even crossed her mind to do so. I just know her well enough to know that she'd enjoy it!

Sometimes Mom DOES know best ;)

Last edited:
I'm all about surprise gifts when you know the person well.

My mom doesn't know me well. She thinks I'm her mini me and I never have been. Not only did she buy me what she thought I'd want, she'd throw a fit if there was a legit reason why I didn't enjoy the thing. As an example, I'm allergic to wool. She had a custom wool sweater commissioned for me. I have no idea why.

I have spent the last 3 weeks subtly convincing DD5 that Merida is her new favorite princess...

...because I got a whole set of Merida stuff on deep discount after Halloween and that's one of her Christmas presents. :rotfl:

Great that you got some nice stuff for her!

I'm sure she will enjoy it all.

OP, I get you. I hope your daughter has a wonderful Christmas.

We bought our kids plenty of toys/gifts they never asked for some. Some were even the "cheap" versions of "better toys" like the Target dolls that mimicked American Girl Dolls. And they played with them. And enjoyed them. Go figure. I'm surprised there are so many kids who will not play with a new toy just because it wasn't their first choice.

My 9 year old nephew has asked for a deer lease as his ONLY Christmas item. He has decided we can all go in on it. Any advice from those Moms who never try to convince the kids they want something else? :) :)

I told my sister I'd send a check for what I normally spend, and she can tell him he can apply it towards the mortgage :)

My DD turns 6 two days before Christmas so we do lots of surprise gifts. She can only ask for three things and they can only be an over all category, like Disney Princess or Shopkins. It's how my grandparents did it and it is easier for me that way.

I just bought DH a collectors edition of a game he already has so I can have the new copy. To be fair, the collectors edition has been sold out everywhere since even before it released a couple weeks ago, and I found it in stock somewhere. It comes will a bunch of cool stuff in addition to the game, so it's not all for me. :)

I think it is a 50-50 roposition. Last year I gave my DD18 a surrise single serving smothy maker thing. It was her favorite gift. A whole $7.99. I have always done that, the key is to listen and remember. She use to LOVE Bratz when she was little and had a ton othem, but that's what she loved. I was also guilty of buying her toys that I wanted as a kid and never got. Some of them she loved, some not so much. You can't go wrong.

My 9 year old nephew has asked for a deer lease as his ONLY Christmas item. He has decided we can all go in on it. Any advice from those Moms who never try to convince the kids they want something else? :) :)

I told my sister I'd send a check for what I normally spend, and she can tell him he can apply it towards the mortgage :)
I would have done exactly what you're doing.

"Here's the money that I had budgeted for your gift. I hope that you collect enough for what you want. If not, feel free to spend it on something else of your choosing." :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter