budget cake/cupcakes

Jake&IzzyLand

Mouseketeer
I am trying to get out of the habit of ordering custom made cakes. Do any of you have a white cake recipe that tastes similar and has the texture of a bakery cake? Also, I saw that wal mart has two tiered character cakes, has any one tried them? I assume they are less than custom cakes, but the price was not attached.

Thanks!

I am trying to get out of the habit of ordering custom made cakes. Do any of you have a white cake recipe that tastes similar and has the texture of a bakery cake? Also, I saw that wal mart has two tiered character cakes, has any one tried them? I assume they are less than custom cakes, but the price was not attached.

Thanks!

I usually buy a cake from the grocery store bakery. It costs less than $20 and it's delicious, and they decorate it nicely.

Costco sells nice sized sheet cakes for under $20 as well. If you really want to make it at home my sister, who's a pastry chef, tells me the cook times on premixes are all wrong. Use a lower temp and cook for a longer time to avoid the ballooning in the middle of the cake.

Costco sells nice sized sheet cakes for under $20 as well. If you really want to make it at home my sister, who's a pastry chef, tells me the cook times on premixes are all wrong. Use a lower temp and cook for a longer time to avoid the ballooning in the middle of the cake.
Hi another trick I learned when I took a Wilton cake decorating class is to immediately flip the cake upside down (on parchment paper of course) to cool-that will eliminate almost any "bump" in the middle and if there is a slight one you just cut it off and use that as the bottom-also line the cake pan with a sheet of parchment to prevent it sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Also agree Costco cakes are tasty and cheap I think it is around $17-$18 for a half sheet cake (usually make my own cakes but had one for my son's baptism as I was too exhausted with a newborn to make my own lol)
They also sell HUGE cupcakes but I have never tried them.

Hi another trick I learned when I took a Wilton cake decorating class is to immediately flip the cake upside down (on parchment paper of course) to cool-that will eliminate almost any "bump" in the middle and if there is a slight one you just cut it off and use that as the bottom-also line the cake pan with a sheet of parchment to prevent it sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Also agree Costco cakes are tasty and cheap I think it is around $17-$18 for a half sheet cake (usually make my own cakes but had one for my son's baptism as I was too exhausted with a newborn to make my own lol)
They also sell HUGE cupcakes but I have never tried them.
I love sweets but the cupcakes are way too big and so-so. The cakes have a filling. I remember when my DD was younger asking if they could do it without a filling (none of them appealed to me) and was told no. So I've never tried them. We have a local grocery store bakery that's great and reasonable so that's who I've used in the past. But if it's just us and the kids don't request a Bruster's ice cream cake (my favorite) I just bake one myself. I definitely want to try Alesia's tips. Also, homemade buttercream frosting is way better than that gross stuff in the can.

Last edited:
Remember to use cake flour and not just any old flour. Cake flour has a different texture than AP flour.

havaneselover - we make our own ice cream cake. First I make a chocolate chip cookie in a 9x13 pan. Allow it to cool completely then put a layer of ice cream on top (I use vanilla). Allow to freeze for an hour or two then frost with homemade chocolate frosting. Everyone loves it.

havaneselover - we make our own ice cream cake. First I make a chocolate chip cookie in a 9x13 pan. Allow it to cool completely then put a layer of ice cream on top (I use vanilla). Allow to freeze for an hour or two then frost with homemade chocolate frosting. Everyone loves it.
That sounds delicious! I may try it for DD's birthday in September.

I love sweets but the cupcakes are way too big and so-so. The cakes have a filling. I remember when my DD was younger asking if they could do it without a filling (none of them appealed to me) and was told no. So I've never tried them. We have a local grocery store bakery that's great and reasonable so that's who I've used in the past. But if it's just us and the kids don't request a Bruster's ice cream cake (my favorite) I just bake one myself. I definitely want to try Alesia's tips. Also, homemade buttercream frosting is way better than that gross stuff in the can.
Yes, the stuff in the can is totally gross!

The filling is the best part of the Costco cake in my opinion! I agree the cupcakes are just too big.

The filling is the best part of the Costco cake in my opinion! I agree the cupcakes are just too big.
It was so long ago but I just remember none of them sounded good (I'm picky) and I couldn't understand why no filling wasn't an option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter