Budget Buster of the Month

wow i feel great about my budget busters now! the big one is we decided to book a trip to WDW, which is less than the other option i was considering but we booked sooner than i was planning.

i also somehow gained a few lbs and so i dont have to buy all new summer clothes ive gone on a diet. this means at least two trips a week to the foodstore to make sure i have plenty of veggies, fruit, and healthy options like selzter instead of soda. should be cheaper but i try to eat half of the stuff organic and always seem to be running out of something, while i never ran out of chips. :confused3 i guess its cheaper than a new wardrobe.

We haven't had any "unplanned" expenditures, but March, April & May have been just a giant flow of money going outward.

We bought a house in the fall, so we have all our Spring/Summer purchases that have been adding up. New lawnmower, new patio set (and we want to do it right, so not a cheap set), flowers & vegetables and all the garden tools that go with that. Airfare for my trip to FL to visit my parents in June, airfare for our "vacation" (which means DH comes too, and the purpose is for theme parks not family visit) in Oct. Tickets for a concert, car tune-up. We just brought home a weedwacker today and I bought a 3-day ticket for Universal for my June trip. We're buying a Weber Grill sometime this weekend. Oh, and we adopted a kitty, so all the stuff for him wasn't cheap either.

Next month isn't going to be any easier. DH & I both have teeth cleanings (no dental insurance), we have to buy our airfare to go back to Seattle (DH's family) for Christmas, tickets to see King Tut when DH's parents are here in July.

All I have to say, is the first time homebuyer credit works...we turned around and spent our $8K to help the economy! :lmao: And most of the stuff is of the "fun" variety so that helps. We've been putting everything on our Disney Visa, with the intention of using the Dream Dollars for "Eating Around the World" during Food & Wine in Oct. At this point, it will not only pay for that but for a bunch of souvenirs too.

We had a huge budget buster this month. DS(16) who just got his driver's license in March decided that it was smart to drive around a sharp curve in the rain at 45 mph. The car flipped on it's side and slid down a huge wooded ravine. How it didn't hit a tree, we don't know. Thank the good Lord that he is alive because in all reality of where the accident happened, he could have easily been killed.

Overall, it is probably going to cost between $800 - $1000. Damage to the car was about $500, towing fee was $150, and the ticket he will get for violating his probationary driver's license will be salty. We have no idea what that will be. And to top it off, they have automatically scheduled his court date during our three day vacation we are taking this summer. I have to call on Tuesday to see if that can be changed. Since I have never experienced going to court, I don't know how easy this will be. Yikes!

At this point ds does not have a job because it is very difficult for a 16 year old to find employment in our area, but he is helping working it off by jobs around the house and helping his grandparents out. Unfortunately, we still have to come up with the money. The car that was wrecked is not his car, it is one of our family cars. If anything, he has proven to us that he is not responsible enough for a car of his own! I was in the process of saving money for a surprise cruise next spring break, but I think that is going to be put on hold now. Still hoping I can come up with the money, but not looking too good!

Bad month of may here for sure.....looking forward to June!

Basketball hoop fell into our Trailblazer during storm...replaced window...no cost due to full glass but bad anyways!
DH got a ticket...110.00 fine 85.00 court surcharge.
Bats in our attic.....2300.00 for a nuisance wildlife company to seal up and evict.

We got double-whammied this month. I had to have an upper GI done. After insurance pays I am looking at about $1300. Our water heater had been leaking at the valve so DH replaced the valve. Apparently when he turned the water back on it shot gunk from the pipes up and messed up the water flow to the bath tub. I paid a plumber $163.00 to come out and TRY to fix the problem. I was informed that the problem has to do with our very old galvanized pipes and it will cost $6000 for the cheapest repair or 13,000 to re-pipe the entire house. I have neither the cash nor the credit for that. We are hoping to find a plumber that does side jobs who can do it for a more reasonable price.

We had a huge budget buster this month. DS(16) who just got his driver's license in March decided that it was smart to drive around a sharp curve in the rain at 45 mph. The car flipped on it's side and slid down a huge wooded ravine. How it didn't hit a tree, we don't know. Thank the good Lord that he is alive because in all reality of where the accident happened, he could have easily been killed.

Overall, it is probably going to cost between $800 - $1000. Damage to the car was about $500, towing fee was $150, and the ticket he will get for violating his probationary driver's license will be salty. We have no idea what that will be. And to top it off, they have automatically scheduled his court date during our three day vacation we are taking this summer. I have to call on Tuesday to see if that can be changed. Since I have never experienced going to court, I don't know how easy this will be. Yikes!

At this point ds does not have a job because it is very difficult for a 16 year old to find employment in our area, but he is helping working it off by jobs around the house and helping his grandparents out. Unfortunately, we still have to come up with the money. The car that was wrecked is not his car, it is one of our family cars. If anything, he has proven to us that he is not responsible enough for a car of his own! I was in the process of saving money for a surprise cruise next spring break, but I think that is going to be put on hold now. Still hoping I can come up with the money, but not looking too good!

So sorry to hear about your son's accident! We went through the exact same thing with our son this year! It was stressful. He also can't find a job due to the economy in our town. Now he has to drive a purple minivan!:rotfl2:There is still justice in this world!:thumbsup2

The last 15 days of this month have been hell on our budget.

First, Leaf Springs broke on the truck, $1500 to replace and get alligned.
And then in PA we have to have vehicles inspected. They found leak in exhaust and muffler and brakes going bad. $800 for muffler/exhaust and $250 for brakes.

Second, my boy complains of an upset stomach about 2 weeks ago on Monday. By Tuesday AM he cant walk, trip to ER X-ray and CAT Scan followed by emergency Appendectmy followed by 4 days in hospital.

Third, About a week after boy gets discharged from hospital, he is running small fever and starts getting sick. Call Hospital and we are told to bring him back hiim. After another ER visit and more x-ray and CAT scans ANOTHER emergency surgery to take out a pocket of infection and 4 more days in hospital.

No, clue on total costs of Hospital stays yet. We have insurance but we have it on our own, so we have a high deductible, and then a percentage of costs up to a max.

But the cost of either my wife or I to stay with him and the other spouse to go home with the other 3 kids to get them off to school. As added about an additional $300-$500 in gas and food.

It's been a terrible week at my house!!!! My glasses broke beyond repair, so I had to buy a new pair because my time isn't up on my insurance-$220.00. I suddenly experienced excruciating tooth pain on Wednesday; had to have a root canal-$879.00.

Paying for my Dad's funeral. :(

Now that he's gone, Mom has no income until she starts receiving survivor's benefits on my Dad's retirement. They said it would be 4 to 6 months before the paperwork gets processed (military retirement). Mom has no saving anymore because Dad's nursing home bill ate that up completely so I'll have to support her until she starts getting a check. The one brother that I do have that is financially sound just got out of the hospital and is facing a mountain of bills related to that so he won't be able to help. The other two have yet to stop bumming off of my mother, brother, and me so they are of no help at all. When they call me asking for money, I ask them for their share of Dad and Mom's bills. Shuts them up really quick, but still makes me sick.

And yes, I am still going on vacation next week. I love my parents dearly and will do everything I can for Mom (she lives next door to me), but it sometimes gets a little frustrating that everyone looks to me to be the family's personal bank account. Sorry. Just a small vent there. I realize that I shouldn't complain. I know I'm lucky.

Our furnace went kaput in May, so we dropped $5600 to replace that and have some additional duct work done. Not. Fun.

My 10 yr old Boston Terrier needed surgery.:scared1:
We are 2 weeks later and $1400 poorer today:sad2:

On the happy side, she is so much better:wizard:

First, Leaf Springs broke on the truck, $1500 to replace and get alligned.
And then in PA we have to have vehicles inspected. They found leak in exhaust and muffler and brakes going bad. $800 for muffler/exhaust and $250 for brakes.
For this, I'd say you need to find yourself a new mechanic. Even all the leaf springs being replaced, which you should only have to replace the single broken leaf as I highly doubt every leaf broke, should have only cost about $200. I don't think it cost me that much when I had a leaf replaced on my truck. Exhaust, might cost you $200 for parts if you went with factory stock parts. Typical car buying at a normal parts store would be about $50-80 for a pipe and $30-50 for a muffler, then add labor, which is normally $70/hour and maybe 2 hours of work. $250 for brakes could be good if you had to replace rotors or a caliper. The problem with the calipers is, they don't tell you they can be rebuilt with new seals for about $10 and tell you that it needs replaced with a $150 unit.

Leaf springs (most basic and easy to work on suspension system) and exhaust though, those numbers are outragous and out of this world!

UGH..joining this club that I don't want to join. DD7 was in the hospital last month for an asthma attack and the bills are rolling in. Needed a new furnace which we thought we had time to save for, but we don't because the central AC won't run with out fixing the furnace. That's a big one, not totally unexpected, but still... DH needed a new car(well used) in Jan (his just died AFTER putting $500 of repairs into it) so we are tight because my car pymts are not done till Sept, we were planning on buying a new car for him when my pymts were done.

And this month specifically, CLOTHES and SHOES. My 3 DD's seem to have outgrown all of their clothes and need new summer stuff, plus I lost 30lbs and need some new stuff too. DD15 usually passes down stuff to her 12 yo sister, but this year it just seems like hand me downs are not working with sizes. We went to our pool club opening on Sat. and Sun morning we were out shopping for bathing suits before a friends barbeque/pool party. They both told me their suits fit but not so much...

BUT, I will squeeze it all out of the budget somehow because we ARE going to WDW in Aug :banana::banana: Unexpected expenses will not come out of trip funds! Anyone want PB &J for dinner??? LOL

BUT, I will squeeze it all out of the budget somehow because we ARE going to WDW in Aug :banana::banana: Unexpected expenses will not come out of trip funds! Anyone want PB &J for dinner??? LOL

Let's have a potluck. I'll bring rice and beans. ;)

Pasta... I'll bring the pasta; I just got a bunch at 3 lbs for $1. Also grilled cheese and tomato soup!

Jeez... I remember when "budget meals" meant hamburgers or macaroni and cheese. Anyone looked at the price of real cheese lately? Even LOL american is $6/lb :scared1:

Well I don't feel so bad for our bad month now that I read some other posts!

Our umbrella stroller broke a week ago Sunday. The foot rest part. I emailed the company to find out how much it would be replace it. $20. For a $35 stroller. :eek: And the part wouldn't be here in time for our trip...well it could be for another $20 :eek: And at this point we are still without a stroller because I just couldn't swallow buying another stroller yet. I'll wait until Friday when my 20% BRU coupon goes into effect.

Then this past Monday, we came home from work to find our fridge not working. With about $65 in groceries in it that we had just purchased on Sunday night. :mad: We put what we could salvadge in our basement fridge and we'll be looking for a new one when we come back from our trip.

Thursday morning my DH woke me up at 5am with severe pain. We made a trip to the ER with a CAT scan and lots of tests and he has a kidney stone. Several RX's and an appointment with a urologist this coming Wednesday.

And of course, to top it off, my DSS9 comes out Thursday night holding his glasses in 2 pieces. He broke them while he was cleaning them. Wonderful. $45 to replace them. Thank goodness we bought the extra insurance on all the kids glasses!!!

I really hope this week is a quiet one leading up to our trip!

Pasta... I'll bring the pasta; I just got a bunch at 3 lbs for $1. Also grilled cheese and tomato soup!

Jeez... I remember when "budget meals" meant hamburgers or macaroni and cheese. Anyone looked at the price of real cheese lately? Even LOL american is $6/lb :scared1:

%6/lb? It is usually $2.99/3.99 lb here and that is the "normal" price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter