Budget buster laundry detergent

I started buying the Purex 3:1 sheets about 6 months ago and LOVE them:love:they really do a wonderful job of cleaning in all temps and it's good-bye to the $12.99 huge JUGS:eek:PLUS fabric softener. The sheets also force me to be more vigilent in doing only fuller loads. I've never used fabric softener--always seemed like a waste to me;)

I use All Free&Clear or any store brand Free& Clear. CVS, Purex, and Target all make a version of the free& clear stuff. I buy what ever is cheap!

I can't use most free and clear products because most of them still have sulfate in them. All is on the list I have of low sulfate or sulfate free detergents.

My MIL made the mistake of buying another brand of Free and Clear detergent and then washing my clothes in them :headache: I had to do all the wash again after rinsing the washer so I would stop itching.

I use the Sam's Club brand, looks like Tide. It costs about $12 and lasts me 2-3 months. We have a family of 5, but a HE washer, so don't need as much soap.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Sears brand powdered detergent, since I've read about it several times here on the Budget board. A huge box is $27 for 275 loads, which is just under 10 cents per load. It goes on sale several times a year (usually around holiday weekends). It is also sold in smaller containers, but the large size is the best value per load. If you're looking for it at Sears, it is sold in the paint department. Yeah....I can't figure that out either. :confused3

It comes in a liquid version too, but I prefer the powder since it doesn't leave a slimy buildup in my front loader. (I had that problem with Tide and Cheer.) I usually use a 1/2 scoop instead of a whole, so I end up getting about 500 loads out of the package...making it about 5 cents per load.

The only complaint that I've ever heard about Sears detergent is that it doesn't have a strong fragrance and that it doesn't suds much. Detergent actually doesn't need to suds much to get clothes clean, and low sudsing is especially preferable in a front loading washer.

This is the one that I buy: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03209898000P?keyword=ultra+plus&prdNo=2

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Sears brand powdered detergent, since I've read about it several times here on the Budget board. A huge box is $27 for 275 loads, which is just under 10 cents per load. It goes on sale several times a year (usually around holiday weekends). It is also sold in smaller containers, but the large size is the best value per load. If you're looking for it at Sears, it is sold in the paint department. Yeah....I can't figure that out either. :confused3

It comes in a liquid version too, but I prefer the powder since it doesn't leave a slimy buildup in my front loader. (I had that problem with Tide and Cheer.) I usually use a 1/2 scoop instead of a whole, so I end up getting about 500 loads out of the package...making it about 5 cents per load.

The only complaint that I've ever heard about Sears detergent is that it doesn't have a strong fragrance and that it doesn't suds much. Detergent actually doesn't need to suds much to get clothes clean, and low sudsing is especially preferable in a front loading washer.

This is the one that I buy: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03209898000P?keyword=ultra+plus&prdNo=2

I wish I could still use Sears detergent. As a child it is what my mother used (she switched from Tide due to my allergies). I have never been able to confirm the sulfate amount in it so I have to avoid it :guilty:

I wish I could still use Sears detergent. As a child it is what my mother used (she switched from Tide due to my allergies). I have never been able to confirm the sulfate amount in it so I have to avoid it :guilty:

I'm not sure what sulfates are, but Sears now has a Free & Clear version of their detergent...not sure if that is what you need though. :)

I use Norwex brand. There are no fillers in their detergent so you don't use much. A front loader uses about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon per load. We have a front loader and I do a TON of laundry one bag has lasted me about a year. It costs about 26.00 per bag. If I am doing a load of really dirty clothes or whites that I think nee a boost I throw in some Borax.

I put up my personal favorite homemade detergent recipe in the Vinegar Thread on page 1, if you are interested. Costs me about $30 a year for the supplies, and takes about 10 minutes to make a batch for 128 loads. Cost is about .03 cents a load not including the 1/8 cup of vinegar I add.

There is also another recipe for a homemade detergent using OxyClean instead of baking soda a little deeper in the thread.

I put up my personal favorite homemade detergent recipe in the Vinegar Thread on page 1, if you are interested. Costs me about $30 a year for the supplies, and takes about 10 minutes to make a batch for 128 loads. Cost is about .03 cents a load not including the 1/8 cup of vinegar I add.

There is also another recipe for a homemade detergent using OxyClean instead of baking soda a little deeper in the thread.

I just bought all the ingredients for this recipe and am looking forward to trying it out.

I finally made my own this year. I LOVE it! It comes to about 1 penny or so per load! I spent $3 several months ago and we still have more than half of it left, probably 3/4.

I thought it would be difficult, but it was SO EASY! I used the recipe from the Duggar's website.

I also use vinegar in the fabric softener container of the washer.

Dawn

The Purex 3 in 1 sheets are a terrific deal. They have the detergent, softener, and dryer sheets combined into one sheet that you toss into the washer and transfer to the dryer with the clothes. I've been using them for over a year. They work great -- and, they are a bargain!

I love them!!! Target and Walmart are about the cheapest on them...and I always see coupons for them.

You can go to trypurex.com for a free sample if you want to try them out first!

(I think thats the website...just do a search , it should come up)

It literally takes me 30 minutes once every 3-4 months to make my own. I would spend more time than that going down the laundry aisle at Walmart every other week:)

Mine costs me around $15 three or four times a year.

I was going to say the same. I've made both liquid and powder and have found the powdered is quicker to make and works just as well. I probably spend 15min on making a batch that lasts months, and I do it while I'm watching the kids or TV so it doesn't really feel like I spent any time on it.

ETA: I use the same recipe Carl_Fredricksen posted here: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=36662793&postcount=9. I grate the soap by hand with a cheese grater, which takes about 10min and is the most time consuming part of the process. I've used Fels but actually prefer Ivory for the light scent and the fact that it is so much more readily available.

We were told not to use any kind of powdered detergent because of our septic/well system.

Dawn

We buy the biggest box of powered tide that we can get at Sam's. We just can not be happy with any other brand. I use 1/2-3/4 of the called for amount and we stopped using the frabic softner. We only buy 2-3 times per year for our family of 4.

i personally like arm and hammer's natural mountain rain version. It's fairly cheap, concentrated, and good results with only a half cap. There's a free and clear version of the natural too.
there is no softner version, but vinager works well. And ther's dryer sheets that go with it. Usually with a rebate for them for free on the bottle.

I find that I get the best bang for my buck buying detergent from Target. They let you put a manufacturer's coupon with a Target coupon for extra savings (e.g., I have a coupon for ALL for $2.00 off, plus a Traget coupon for $1.00 off. That represents a 50% or more savings.)

Purex had a BOGO coupon a few weeks ago, so I'm still making my way through those bottles. I also use manufacturer's coupons for trial size bottles making them mostly free. Tide coupons usually do not say "trial size excluded" and Target has a one load size for $0.99, making it free. I stock up on those when the coupons come out.

I use the least amount of detergent possible and haven't noticed any difference in the cleanliness of my clothes, particularly on my kids' clothes. They tend to have a lot of stains, and the clothes still get clean as long as I pre-treat them. FTMP, we overuse detergent.

I use All Free and Clear which is on sale frequently for around $2.49 and I add just a tablespoon or so of Tide Sport because it does a great job of getting the odors out and that small amount doesn't bother anyone's skin. I use store brand "free and clear" type dryer sheets for softener.

I use All Free and Clear which is on sale frequently for around $2.49 and I add just a tablespoon or so of Tide Sport because it does a great job of getting the odors out and that small amount doesn't bother anyone's skin. I use store brand "free and clear" type dryer sheets for softener.

I alternate between ALL, Surf and Purex. The reason is that they ALWAYS have great coupons when they put them out. There's currently a $2.00 coupon out on both All and Purex. They're on sale for between $2.49 and $2.99. I'll buy 50+ bottle. You can get the coupons off ebay or a coupon clipping site for pennies and this allows me to stock up when it's cheap. I have 100+ bottles in my stockpile. (If you have a Krogers close it's on sale there for $2.99 until sometime in June).

I also use the homemade laundry detergent. I don't have time to make it but ironically my daughter who lives in California makes it and attempts to convert me every time she's home. It smells good and works well but I'm old fashioned and it has to come out of a bottle. However, my friends swear by hers (because I give it to them...lol).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter