• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Budget Buster-How Much Have You Paid for College Applications?

Lex33

Mouseketeer
All the applications are in and right now between application fees, transcript costs, and testing fees we are at $785. I am shocked. I guess it has been a very long time since I applied to college. This was for 7 schools and it doesn't include any costs associated with the music audition trips we have to take.

Anyone else keep track of what has been paid?

This definitely a budget buster.

I graduated high school in 1990 and I remember college application fees being between $50-100 per college so for 7 schools - the amount you quoted seems reasonable to me.

i have not kept track, but the application fee for all that went went out here ranged from $0 to $60. SAT and ACT fees on top of that. Sending scores....that is likely about the same amount I probably paid as well.

Add on the flights, rental cars and hotels for visits......a LOT more.

Doesn't seem unreasonable for 7 schools.

But 7 schools seems like a lot!! My DD narrowed it down to 3 and only applied to those.

Wait until you go visit the schools! Add in hotel, food, transportation, etc.!!

Maggie

Admittedly haven't really wanted to keep track: we have twins.

What made it worse is that we already had to pay $250 deposit on one school! One of our girls wants to be a nurse, and the deadline for that program, at a school we really like, was mid-December. Granted, if she doesn't go there we get the money back, but still!

We applied to 5 schools total. 3 Private and 2 Suny NY schools. We visited some of the schools prior. There was no cost for the College of St. Rose in Albany as we met with admissions and received a yes on the spot. Lebanon Valley College - we have a waiver. We didn't get a waiver for Hofstra and I think that was $40 if I am not mistaken. Then the 2 state schools were $50 a piece, then $30 to audition at Pottsdam for the pianist and an additional $50 for Fredonia Audition. We have been down to Lebanon twice so gas to and from. Hofstra once - gas and tolls. St. Rose, gas and tolls. I know we didn't spend that much compared to the cost you did. She has been accepted academically to 4 out of the 5 - haven't heard from Fredonia and probably won't till March but it isn't at the top of her list. She has been accepted all the way around for Lebanon. Hofstra is also at the top of her list. Those are the two she wants to go to. We won't know for about a month yet on Hofstra as her audition isn't till the end of the month for the music program.

I am not keeping track but ds#3 is already in college but now he is applying to nursing schools.

Between application fees, transcript fees, deposits which are refundable (One was $240) I am sure my credit card bill will be high.

It was so much easier with the other 2. Ds#1 picked 2 colleges, of course he didnt get into the first one (least expensive). Ds#2 just picked one college and that was it. One app. fee and we were done.

My son is a junior at college now and we did not pay anything. We visited 7 colleges and he applied to 3. I think he visited some during private college week and there was no fee to apply to any private college after you visited a few that week in Iowa. I have heard of the college waiving the fee and I have also heard of there being no fee based on how you applied, paper or internet? Call and ask.

We applied to 5 schools total. 3 Private and 2 Suny NY schools. We visited some of the shcools prior. There was no cost for the College of St. Rose in Albany as we met with admissions and received a yes on the spot. Lebanon Valley College - we have a waiver. We didn't get a waiver for Hofstra and I think that was $40 if I am not mistaken. Then the 2 state schools were $50 a piece, then $30 to audition at Pottsdam for the pianist and an additional $50 for Fredonia Audition. We have been down to Lebanon twice so gas to and from. Hofstra once - gas and tolls. St. Rose, gas and tolls. I know we didn't spend that much compared to the cost you did. She has been accepted academically to 4 out of the 5 - haven't heard from Fredonia and probably won't till March but it isn't at the top of her list. She has been accepted all the way around for Lebanon. Hofstra is also at the top of her list. Those are the two she wants to go to. We won't know for about a month yet on Hofstra as her audition isn't till the end of the month for the music program.

The app fees weren't too bad: $ 395 for 6 schools and 2 were free.

Sending the scores $ 51.

Extra Math II test $ 33, I don't remember the cost for 2 SAT's and 2 subject tests.

It's the AP tests that are killing me, it was either 87 or 89 for each of the 3 tests, and he wants to take 5 or 6 this year. :scared1: But by the time he takes the APs in the spring, he will know where he's going and if it's worth taking some of them.

We have to do CSS profile for 3 schools, so cost for that, too.

Fortunately, we haven't really traveled more than 2 hours to check out schools, so just gas and tolls.

We qualified for fee waivers. It was done through the guidance office of our boys high school. We have twins and were applying for both. The amount was more than we could do. They HS asked for very little documentation. Yes, it does make the process a little more complicated, but not enough so that it wasn't worth it.

Sending the scores $ 51.

Extra Math II test $ 33, I don't remember the cost for 2 SAT's and 2 subject tests.

It's the AP tests that are killing me, it was either 87 or 89 for each of the 3 tests, and he wants to take 5 or 6 this year. :scared1: But by the time he takes the APs in the spring, he will know where he's going and if it's worth taking some of them.

Fortunately, we haven't really traveled more than 2 hours to check out schools, so just gas and tolls.

The AP's killed me this year they were 119 each and she is doing three this year. She did one last year and will do a few next year as well. That $119 each is still so much less than the cost of a college course though! Here we don't have a choice-- if they sign up for the class they have to pay in September for all AP's in one big check no one cares if the school of choice will take them or not...you take up space in the room you have to test.

We began visiting over the summer and she will apply to her favorite 3. So far all she has taken the time to visit have given her fee waivers for the application.

SAT for some reason she took it in Novemebr but will take it again in May with her cohort group. So that will set me back whatever the fees were for that.

Look at the bright side education and the costs associated with it are expensive, the kid living in your basement making minimum wage at a fast food joint will cost you even more and be twice as painful!:lmao:

Sending the scores $ 51.

Instead of AP classes my DS took a lot of college classes that were offered at his high school. They counted as both high school and college credit. Luckily, they all transferred to the college he wanted to go to and he ended up with a full semester of college credit before starting college. He actually turned into a senior just now because he is a semester ahead. He is going to triple major so he needs all the time he can get. I don't remember all of the college credit amount but one was $85 for the credit.

My ds is a senior in college. He is planning to be a Civil Engineer so he had to take a national test. It cost $30 to apply and get a number and then $170 after that and he had to get a new calculator since he wasn't allowed to use the one he used all through college.

I know it is expensive. Good luck

So far i'm at $0. I applied to the 1 school I wanted to go to and was accepted (no ap fee there). There will be no fee for my placement testing next month, either.

Visits during Junior year -- no clue, but it was insignificant. Just gas money and meals. We visited her #1 choice three times, and the last time we did spend a little: We spent the night, ate out several meals, went to a football game, bought sweatshirts for the whole family -- that probably cost $350, even though I got the hotel free with reward points. Still, quite insignificant compared to the "cost" (I put that into quotations because it isn't all financial) of choosing the wrong school.

SAT @ $47 (is that right?) x 2 times = $94
$10 to go back and send SAT scores to an extra school at a later date
5 transcripts @ $3 = $15
No placement tests, at least none of which I'm aware

Actual applications fees paid: Only $60. One school had no fee, the others . . . well, it's good to know people. We only paid for the one out-of-state application.

I'm not unhappy with this amount. It was a necessary expense, though honestly I knew this time last year where she'd end up going -- she fell in love with one school and has not waivered. I've preached "don't get too settled -- let's see all the schools on your list", but the reality is that she fell for the very first school we visited (and her father and I think it's a great choice for her). She and I could've saved the time and effort on the other applications.

AP tests . . . I don't guess that should be included in this cost. That's not an application cost.

Last year, my daughter applied for 8 colleges (public and private) and i paid....$0.00!!!!

Most colleges offers online application or early bird application which the application fee is waived. :goodvibes

Also, keep in mind, any of you are on Welfare help, on food stamps, your kids get reduced or free lunches, you don't have to pay any AP's, SAT's and ACT fees either. Transcripts will be offered free too at some high schools, as well.

Ask your high school counselors about this. Also, it can't hurt to call the college and ask for application fee waiver either.

My husband got unemployed last year, and all this was a BIG help!!

Also, don't forget to apply for FASFA very soon so your college bound child can qualify for loans and or grants!!

Best wishes to all!!!

We have paid the most for the ACT tests - 4x - about $200. I wish I forced her to take a class, her scores never wavered but I wonder if a class would have helped her bump up a few points. She scored well but a few more would have put her in a stronger scholarship range.

The only visit that was not a day trip was in a city where DH's sis lives so no hotel fees there. We visited five and drove around a few others. She fell in love with a couple. It's funny, she was actually was adamant against what appears to now be her probable choice. It took awhile for her to realize that it's a great school and has a really good program for what she wants to study. It has become her fav and I can really see her enjoying her years there.

We paid application fees to 2 schools and the other 3 were free. So $100 there. Food and gas for the visits and a tshirt from her first official visit day.$20 to send ACT scores to 2 other schools and that was about it.

Luckily, in our district, as long as a student passes with better than a 1, the district pays the cost. We write a check and they hold it w/o cashing. Once scores are in, they either deposit or return it. She took 2 last year and will take 3 this year.

We have definitely paid more to her HS for senior things and show choir expenses!

A lot of scholarship money depends on the students' ACT score. My DS took a class and studied from a thick book and he got a great score. It teaches them what the questions are asking, how to take the test in a smart way, gives them good practice tests etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter