Budget Buster: Cystic Acne @ 32!!

southern_redhead

DIS Veteran
I am sooo tired of this. I have cystic acne. It can be controlled, I've found out how, and I'm glad that I know how to keep it in check but......it's expensive and it just p****s me off to have to do this when I'm in my 30's! I mean, as a teen, my skin was pretty darn good - how backwards is this?!

I have to do 3 things: Use non-flouride toothpaste (at $4 a tube *sigh* also the whole family must use it as my kids get white blisters in their mouths if they use flouride, our dentist says it is a flouride allergy.) Take an antibiotic. I take Minocycline 2x a day. Slack off and it's back to acne :( It isn't expensive in and of itself, $5 a bottle, but it causes me *other* female issues which then cost money for treatment and I worry about long term antibiotic use. Lastly, the only facial products I've found that work are Juice Beauty. $50 for two products :scared1: but they REALLY REALLY work for me. I used to buy them from Sephora online (never could find in stores) but it appears they're now phasing the line out. I did find some on another site and bought it but I'm worried they are going to stop selling it period and then back to the drawing boards...and throwing hard earned money out the window to try to find a new product that works...

Dealing with this ticks me off soooo much - can you tell? LOL How is it everyone else I know can use cheap-o whatever is on sale for their health and beauty needs and mine is so specific and hard to find? But I REFUSE to walk around with zits at my age :sad2: so I'll just have to hang in there. Anyone else with this issue - or one just as maddening? Misery loves company!!

I can't say that I understand... just wanted to send :hug:.
also, My friend sells Rodan and Fields (I think it's called) and they have an acne system. Probably won't be what you need since this seems pretty specific, but worth a look. They have a website. :hug::hug::hug:

I had bad acne in my teens then good skin in my 20's and I'm just about to hit 30 and I got acne again. I went back to the dermatologist and he says it is Roseca (sp?).

I have to take an expensive antibiotic now. It stinks. But it is really embarrassing at this age to have worse pimples than a teenager. So I do it. I figure we cut in so many other areas of the budget but if something is a need then that is just one area we can't cut.

Your story sounds almost exactly like mine(I'm 32). I still haven't found a good answer/solution yet though. I keep hoping some new product will be my breakthrough. Oh well... Hang in there!

I also just started getting acne again and I am now 34. I went to my dermatologist and she put me on epiduo gel and doryx (antibiotic). I tried that for over a month and saw no results, just extremely dry skin and burning. Now I am trying Ziana gel and Solodyn, but have yet to see results as well. Both are fairly expensive and my insurance will not pay for them. Luckily my derm gave me some discount cards from the drug companies to discount the cost. Hopefully I can continue to use these cards because the cost will be way too high if I continue to use these meds.

I can sympathize... I had gorgeous skin as a teen, but starting having issues about mid-20's. I tried seeing a dermatologist, and it seemed to help at first but then got worse. Then I started getting facials & peels, and again it seemed better at first but then got worse. I finally found a fabulous dermatologist that diagnosed me with cystic acne. I started out taking an oral medication (spironolactone) and 2 topicals (one at night, the other for day). And she suggested I use Neutrogena Fresh & Clean cleanser & their lotion. After a few months she took me off of the topicals as it did it's job and the oral medication would maintain the rest. I have been pretty much stable for 3 years. Hopefully you find something that works for you!

I use the Ziana gel mentioned by a PP. In it a topical antibiotic and Retin-A combined. It is wonderful. You just have to be consistent. I can't imagine having to take an oral anti biotic long term for the reasons the OP implied. Yikes!

Insurance ought to pay for the Ziana...acne is a medical dx.

I so feel your pain!!! I am 42 and have cystic acne also. Mine is all hormonal. I am on an oral medication & 2 topicals. It worked so/so. The best thing that has helped for me was what my derm calls is acne surgery. I go every 2 weeks...1 week is microderabrasion & then 2 weeks later is a chemical peel. Been doing this since October and I love the results! Bad thing is now it's a new year and I now have to hit my decuctable again before it's covered 90%. So $150 is a lot every other week. I might try just once a month for a while to see how that works.
My skin was always the greastest when I was pregnant and/or nursing. Now my hormones are just insane!!
Find a good dermatologist who will really listen to you...that is half the battle!

Thanks, I actually DO have it under control doing what I do (above)...it just burns me up to do it LOL Especially when I know someone with gorgeous skin and ask them what they use only to hear "Oh, whatever is in the shower." :scared1: Plus, cystic acne just flippin' hurts!

I had good skin as a teen and started getting the cystic acne in my 30's. When I became a vegetarian it went away. And now that I'm back on meat, it hasn't come back. I would say to try that for a few months. It cleared up my skin very nicely.

Also to the PP with rosacea. I had a baaaad case. I read Dr. Perricone's book. . .the Perricone Promise. He suggests washing morning and night with Cetaphil. I also took supplements and followed the diet in his book. It cleared up. I really think it's the Cetaphil though. Try that and see if it helps. It's usually bacterial.

Developing cystic acne in your late 20s/early 30s is not uncommon. What is uncommon, though, is finding a good dermatologist that will try to find the root of the problem. When I was that age, it took about 4 derms until I found one that wanted to find the cause and did lots of lab work. Turns out it was a hormonal unbalance and he sent me to an endocrinologist. All it took was 2 very old medications that cost literally pennies per month to balance it all out and clear away those painful cysts. Biggest bonus.....balancing the hormones also cured the fertility issues we were just starting to deal with.

I can totally sympathize!!! I've had cystic acne since my early teens.... did the whole array of acne meds starting with topicals... to doxicycline/tetracycline...and finally Accutane by my mid 20's.

Now in my late 30's, I'm still using Benzaclin and Retin A topicals at the tune of $50 copays each after insurance. I have some scarring :( but if I miss a day with the Benzaclin, I'll get a cystic eruption or two that takes over a week to go away :(

Huge (((HUGS))) to you! I know what you mean-it stinks to be concerned about zits in your 30's!!!!

I had cystic acne about 3 years ago. The derm tried me on a couple of medications, and then I did a course of Accutane for 6 months and that completely took care of my issue. I will get a little pimple once in a while, but very, very rare (I am 39 now)...

I'm 40 and I *still* have to deal with cystic acne. I use BenzaClin (my co-pay is around $20), but I use Olay's blemish control facial washes and scrubs.

Having acne at this age sux but when its under control, I look like I'm in my 30's. :thumbsup2

Birth control pills solved mine...same exact thing. So sorry... each of us has a different solution. Sorry yours had to be a budget buster!

My daughter had bad cystic acne. We found an awesome aesthetician. She recommended Sanitas skin care (very natural) and Jane Iredale makeup. They are pricey but she is worth it. She did go for microderm and peels and that helped also. Turns out she has a thyroid issue and now that she is on meds for that, her face looks great!

OP- :hug: I can totally relate, (except I'm still looking for something to help mine) which Juice Beauty products do you use?

I had acne as a teenager. It got a little better as an adult. Then I started getting it again in my 30's. My Dr. put me on spironolactone. Please ask your Dr about it. My skin is beautiful. It controls the oil production. I do have to have my potassium level checked once a year, but it is so worth it. Even my sister comments on how nice my skin is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter