Budget board sure has changed

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by writersblock42, Feb 10, 2013.

1. pooh4evr

pooh4evr Mouseketeer

Agree! We need a good eatin' a can o' corn on Main Street thread every now and again!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. crisi

crisi DIS Veteran

And the ways there are to save have almost completely gone by the wayside - or are more effectively covered on other boards.

Want to save on airfare? - the transportation board is a better spot. Want an offsite hotel? - there is a board for that.

And we've gotten too judgmental. We've gotten to the point where if someone suggests splitting meals it must be because their family will have their house foreclosed on and face bankruptcy if they spend the full cost of the meal. But, you really don't need that many calories :) Not everyone needs to do a Disney trip with three character meals and Bibbity Bobbity Boutique - and I think we need to be a little more tolerant of the shoestring budget - it doesn't mean that they are living beyond their means, they could simply be trying to live within them.

That doesn't mean you should bring your can opener and can of corn :) But it does mean I think we should be more open to "hey, the Days Inn is clean and close and since you'll have a car anyway" and not so quick to say "by the time you pay for parking you might as well stay at a Value, its so much nicer and not that much more expensive after factoring in parking"

4. tink2dw

tink2dw <font color=peach>Pixie Dust or Bust!!<br><font co

You should have been here at Christmas! I was amazed at a post, Which tablet is better for a 5 year old, the $1,200.00 or the $800.00? Which one is best? :scared1: :eek: :faint:

I did not have that problem. My 5 year old wanted a Disney movie, a Barbie, and Candyland [a board game, you played on the floor, with your friends or cousins, you laughed out loud, and someone complained someone had 2 turns!] Those were the Days!!

In the whole of my life time I have never had $800.00 I could spend on gifts for a whole family, let alone one 5 year old. My used car cost $600.00 and I still drive it!

5. disneychrista

disneychrista DIS Veteran

:thumbsup2

6. Colleen27

Colleen27 DIS Veteran

:thumbsup2 That's the one thing I'd change about this board. Ask a question about saving or cutting corners on a Disney trip and you get the third degree from the Dave Ramsey disciples over whether you can really afford the trip in the first place. Ask a question about a real-life budget concern and the first thing you get is people picking apart any future or recent past trips in your signature. It certainly gets very judgmental at times and I think that sends a lot of average people - the ones doing a little better than paycheck-to-paycheck who have managable credit card debt or car payments and haven't fully funded their retirement and kids' college, but who <gasp> vacation anyway - to other boards with their budget-related questions or concerns.

7. KCmike

KCmike Never have fallen asleep on any

I literally and uncontrollably laughed out loud while my family and I was watching tv. Hilarious.

8. Robbi

Robbi DIS Veteran

I remember lurking here several years ago when planning a trip to WDW and seeing a Budget Board thread about people dumpster diving for Wendy's cups to get a flight with Air Tran. I didn't join. :lmao:
    Came back a few months ago and finally signed up for the DIS.

9. crisi

crisi DIS Veteran

I'll be among the first to be judgmental when it comes to "we can't pay the mortgage and my husband has been laid off for a year - but we DESERVE this trip." But I do think we scare off people for whom taking a Disney trip is a reasonable ambition.