• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Budget and kid friendly all inclusive punta cana or cancun?

jrw118

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

I am looking to book an all-inclusive vacation for April 2014. We have two boys Who will be almost 6 and almost 9. I am considering going to come in the Dominican Republic and Cancun and similar areas in Mexico. I'm looking verbal budget friendly and kid friendly with kid activities for mom and dad downtime. I am looking for resort suggestions that offer all-inclusive and decent food. Thanks.

Our family really likes the Iberostar resorts. We've found them to be very family friendly and we all have a great time. We've stayed in several and have never been disappointed. In fact, DD#1 is in the midst of planning her wedding/honeymoon and is going to book at one of the Iberostar resorts (she and her fiancé just haven't decided which one yet). I encouraged her to look at other places too, maybe some adult only resorts but she said she knows she'll have a great time at the Iberostar and "doesn't want to mess with perfection".

We've also had a great time at Iberostar in Punta Cana. We stayed for two weeks with our DD who was 4 at the time. She had a blast. We did not take advantage of kids club activities, as we were eager to all just spend time together at the beach, but the kids who did participate seemed to be having a good time. Pool was great; beach was well tended; food was good with lots of choices, including much that a small child would enjoy. DD loved the ice cream and juice bars by the pool.

We also stayed at the Catalonia Grand Bavaro and thought that was good, too. DD was 3 at the time and loved swimming over the swim-up bar every day for a banana. Again, we didn't use the kids club, but it didn't look as nice as the one at the Iberostar.

Iberostar - better food; better kids club

Catalonia - better beach; liked the villa layout better

We have vacationed in Mexico a few times and my kids loved the Beach Palace, Gran Caribe Real, Great Parnassus............not so much Crown Paradise (I think that's what it is called)

The Great Parnassus was great value for the money we thought, but it is loud with lots of kids. It is shaped like a cruise ship so noise tends to echo there. We did miss the mini fridge in the room and found the food to be mediocre.

The Gran Caribe Real is the only place in Mexico we have been to more then once as we all really enjoyed it and found the food quite good.

The Beach Palace is a family favorite but not quite so budget friendly.

We always stay in family suites (3 kids) so you may find even better deals on regular rooms for 4.

Never been to the Dominican - trying there for the first time in April 2014

We have vacationed in Mexico a few times and my kids loved the Beach Palace, Gran Caribe Real, Great Parnassus............not so much Crown Paradise (I think that's what it is called)

The Great Parnassus was great value for the money we thought, but it is loud with lots of kids. It is shaped like a cruise ship so noise tends to echo there. We did miss the mini fridge in the room and found the food to be mediocre.

The Gran Caribe Real is the only place in Mexico we have been to more then once as we all really enjoyed it and found the food quite good.

The Beach Palace is a family favorite but not quite so budget friendly.

We always stay in family suites (3 kids) so you may find even better deals on regular rooms for 4.

Never been to the Dominican - trying there for the first time in April 2014

Where are you trying in the Dominican Republic.

We have 4 children and have stayed at Crown Paradise (Cancin) twice and loved it. This year we are trying Great Parnassus (Cancun). We did look in Punta Cana, but the flights were dbl the price then Cancun

I can tell you where NOT to go - Dreams Punta Cana. We just got back from there on Saturday. The food is mediocre. 10 out of our party of 12 of us got sick and are still sick from going there.

I read a few of the reviews on trip advisor before going and didn't think much of people saying they got sick, just thought it was a coincidence, however LOTS of people that I talked to that were at the resort with us were all suffering. No one drank the water and no one went outside the resort. The bacteria/virus/whatever it is is at that resort.

I have never been to DR, but have been to a few in Mexico.

Budget is subjective. Many are family friendly...especially south of Cancun. (any that aren't "adults only" are family friendly!)

Check sites like allinclusiveoutlet.com
bookit.com
cheapcaribbean.com

Then, go to tripadvisor.com.

We LOVE Mexico!!!! (DR may good as well...just don't know!)

I can tell you where NOT to go - Dreams Punta Cana. We just got back from there on Saturday. The food is mediocre. 10 out of our party of 12 of us got sick and are still sick from going there.

I read a few of the reviews on trip advisor before going and didn't think much of people saying they got sick, just thought it was a coincidence, however LOTS of people that I talked to that were at the resort with us were all suffering. No one drank the water and no one went outside the resort. The bacteria/virus/whatever it is is at that resort.

I am so sorry. I also saw that on trip advisor. Feel better.

We just booked the Grand Palladium (Kantenah) in the Mayan Riviera. Great reviews on TripAdvisor. Also, much cheaper flights for us to Cancun vs. Punta Cana. Got a great deal from allinclusiveoutlet.com. It looks like a great place for families.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter