Budget advice on New Puppy and Gear

greens_in_WA

Mouseketeer
We are getting close (hopefully) to getting a new puppy. My family had a dog growing up, but not much gear. Any advice on what we really *need*? I think b/c we'll be gone a few long days each week, that we will need a crate? Are wire kennels or portable crates better?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated...

TIA

We just brought home a new puppy last weekend. A wire crate is better as you can see what they are doing and also so they can see you. If they tend to cry, try putting a towel over the wire crate. This creates a "den" for them. Buy toys as puppies love to nip. Ours was constantly "biting" so we always had a toy ready in case she starts to "play bite". I wouldn't do puppy pads as that trains the dog it's ok to go in the house. We have had a few accidents but it hasn't been too bad, yet. She just wants to shred the puppy pads. You also need the common sense stuff like: food bowls, collar, leash, food, treats, brush.

I would definitely get a wire crate the size that your puppy will be full grown. We used pet taxis as she grew to potty train her but spent an unnecessary $45 in the process. If you start with a larger crate get the kind that can be separated to make it smaller. You want your puppy to be able to stand up and turn around comfortably but that's it. They will not potty in their den except as a very last resort and using a crate made potty training so easy with our Maddy. She was in the crate and as soon as she came out we took her out to potty. It wasn't long and she was running to the door when she needed to go out. Other than that you will need the usual bed, food, collar, leash, etc. And start a savings account now for puppy expenses. Vet expenses add up for the new puppy. You have all the shots and then spaying/neutering and we sprung for having a microchip put in. Then you have obedience classes if you want to do those. Around here they are anywhere from $75 - $120 for 8 weeks. Oh...and I'm sure all puppies are different but having the cover on the crate helped keep Maddy from crying. With it on she was quite content to lie in her crate quietly but with it off she would cry a lot. Good luck. We did a ton of research on breeds, etc before we decided on an australian terrier...then we had to find one. So overall it was probably an 8+ month process from the time we thought about getting a puppy and actually getting to bring her home. Oh...definitely get toenail clippers and start EARLY clipping his/her nails regularly. Maddy hates having her toenails trimmed so we deal with fighting her or giving in and taking her to someone.

We about 500 on the puppy, and then another 100 in accessories for her, crate/food/toys. Another 150 on shots/spaying/microchipping when she was about 4-5 months old.

My vet does not recommend wire crates. I found this out AFTER 3 dogs and no problems. I got home from work and DD found our youngest dog (1 yr lab) had her paw caught between the door. I guess she tried to open it. The paw was swollen and she couldn't walk and she was shaking (close to going into shock). I called the vet and we took her right over for an xray ($90.00 for exam and xrays) and luckily it was okay, but that's when she told me they have had crate accidents before, collars getting caught, etc.

I would take nothing over the wire crate for our springer. It's really nice b/c they come with a divider to section it off when they are smaller, which is def needed. The will not potty in the space they have to live in. Also, I second the potty pads being bad. I've heard of several ppl doing puppy pads and they couldn't get their dogs to go outside once they got used to puppy pads. I also recommend nature's miracle spray. We had a rug that our springer woud go on after being outside, and as recommended by our vet, we go that and sprayed the entire rug with it, and we never had the problem again. Lots and lots of praise is most important. Most dogs live to please, and over doing the praise is what we found best. Good luck and best wishes. What kind of dog are you getting?

Looking at a terrier mix from a shelter she's still a puppy but is already house-broken which we count as a huge plus. My DD7 has been asking for a dog since she was 4.... and its good timing for the family... I think.

Our criteria is small, short hair, youngish, hopefully not too yappy or too high strung... we'll see how it works out.

When we brought our puppy home, my favorite things were:

1. Bitter Apple Spray--Dogs hate the taste/stops them from chewing

2. Kong--stuff it with some treats and seal with peanut butter or "kong glue" (I don't know the name of it, but there is one for puppies and is gentle on the tummy). Great to distract the dog while you leave.

3. Stainless steel bowls (I like having two just for water so I can rotate it in the dishwasher.)

4. Dog Food Storage container, ours is more vertical and is one wheels.

5. A really cute collar and matching lease, of course.

Have fun with your puppy!

ETA: One thing I've seen that I would think would be fun to try, especially for a terrier, are flavored bubbles. I think the ones I saw were some kind of meat flavor.

Treats. lol

I originally bought a plastic kennel/crate and switched over to a wire crate. It lets more air in so puppy feels more comfortable when it gets hot. Putting a blanket in is a good idea also.
I don't know what you plan on doing for outside clean up, but definitely stock up on the plastic grocery bags or buy some of the little plastic ones for when puppy has to "go" while on a walk.
One thing I wish I had done was to not over invest with the toys. Just like kids, they will have their favorites and ignore the rest (and leave them where ever when play time is over).
Also find some good carpet clean up spray for accidents. Good luck and congratulations!

pet insurance.....VPI is good.

We got a puppy in Sept and the vet bills for all the shots and spaying would've been ridicoulous.

Just a tip also.....if you are going to crate train both the breeder and our vet recommended getting on just big enough for the dog to have enough room to turn around. Dogs tend not to urinate where the sleep so if the crate is too big they may have more accidents

When we brought our puppy home, my favorite things were:

3. Stainless steel bowls (I like having two just for water so I can rotate it in the dishwasher.)

We do ceramic dishwasher safe bowls. They seem to keep the water cooler.

Also greenies are wonderful for keeping fresh breath and clean teeth, and Bella only would play with her kong is it had a zanies in it, which is a chewy bone made to fit in the kongs.

I don't know if you have one there, but here we have a locally owned store and they have puppy kits that include everything you need to get started. Bowl, bed, crate, collar, leash, book breed specific, toys, bones, puppy spray, a brush and a bag of food. It came out a lot cheaper than buying everything individually. Just a thought to look into.

Don't forget Hartguard medication and Frontline too.

A few days ago our boxer was trying to get his toy in the corner of the crate - I have no idea what got caught, his paw or collar. I have never heard an animal in so much destress. He panicked and went crazy, the more he pulled, the louder/weirder the sound. My husband and I were right here (I was on the computer and my dh was on the couch - literraly 4 feet away from him). We could not get to him fast enough and really could not reach him. His butt was facing us. He was banging back and forth that the side gate opened which I forgot to try to get him from there for an instant. My son jumped and ran down from upstairs screaming "what happened to him" - he literally sprayed liquid feces. They do say not to leave collars on them when in crate - his paws seemed fine so I am assuming the collar but if it was, I am surprised that it did not wrip off from his since he is so powerful.

We use it very rarely. To give him a break/resting time, when I mop, sweep/vacumn and when someone stops by and he won't stop jumping on them.

Good luck with your decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter