Brutal honest re: halloween party

PocahontasLookALike

DIS Veteran
I really cant decided whether or not to buy tickets for the event or not.

My best friend took her family two years ago and she said it was the worst experience of her life. Way crowded. She said she couldn't believe it was an event that had additional costs, based on how crowded it was.

But then I read on here that the crowds are lower, lines are shorter, etc.

If we go, the only day available to go would be Oct 31.

I'll have my extended family and my 1.5 year old and almost 3 year old.

Give me you honest opinions!

We love MNSSHP! We have gone the past couple of years with small children but we usually go during the middle of the week. I have read on here that Oct 31 can be more crowded. We have never had any problems with over crowding. You can see there is a lot of people but the lines for the candy move fast and there are multiple stations per line. Waiting for characters has been the longest line for us. Most rides towards the night are walk on. It;s a lot of fun!

We went on Oct. 31 last year. I had read a lot about it here, and was prepared for crowds. It WAS very crowded, but the candy lines moved very fast and we still had a good time. We all agreed (my kids were 7 and 9) that it was fun to do, but it's probably not something we would pay extra to do again.

Well, we are doing it again this year! LOL. Now that a year has passed, the kids are begging to go and do it again. I will say that the week of Halloween was not crowded AT ALL last year. The parties seemed to be more crowded than it was during the day :)

I can't decide if it's a catch 22...

crowded at disneyland due to the event? or crowded at DCA because that's where everyone without a ticket to the event will be herded too. lol

Also, obviously, my 18 will probably want nothing to do with the candy but I'm kinda thinking my 2 year old will.

when you guys say crowded, do you mean like christmas/thanksgiving/easter crowded? or just like 'average' crowded. haha..

Keep in mind Oct 31st falls on a Friday this year.

We were there last year for the party Monday before Halloween. It was busy but not impossible. The longest lines we experienced were for the character meets.

Had a great time.

Geemo

I will say that there was a BIG difference between MHP at DL and MNSSHP at WDW. AT WDW it may be crowded to watch the parade, but the ride lines are non-existent, even Haunted Mansion. At DL, HM Holiday carried a hefty wait that I spent most of my party time in because it had been down earlier in the day. Lines were longer, though not as long as usual.

However...

I like the MHP at DL better because it felt more like Halloween. The fog on teh water, the acapella singers singing Grim Grinning Ghosts, the fireworks (best EVER!), everything just seemed more Halloween-ie. Maybe it was the difference in it being 58 degrees at night versus 95 (last October in Orlando. Yikes!). I still HIGHLY recommend the MHP at DL despite the crowds.

I would think that the 31st would be an exceptionally busy MHP.

We went on a Tuesday, the second MHP of the season and while I didn't find it too busy I did find it a little hard to navigate because it was so dark, areas were roped off and I was just overall unfamiliar with the Park.

We did some trick or treating and ended up with quite a bit of candy without even trying. What I did like was that we were able to do some of our favourite rides without too much of a line up because most visitors seemed to be focused on treats or character meet and greets. We did not have a very good view of the fireworks because we didn't invest much time in scouting out a good spot but what we saw was good. Would your kids even make it that late though?

The best part of MHP was that if afford us with basically an extra days admittance at a lower price. Being that we come from Vancouver and can only get 5 day passes it let us add an extra day at almost 1/2 the price.

Given the ages of your kids, the crowds and the late night I'm really not sure it would impart much value. Depending on the demographic of the rest of your party and where the MHP falls within your Park days, I would probably skip it.

Just an FYI, in Nevada, the closest Friday to October 31 is a holiday. So, since October 31 is a Friday, we don't have school or work in our state. I know a lot of my students head to Disneyland on three day weekends. And we have a staff development on Monday, making it a four day weekend. I would think there would be a lot of parents who will take their kids to Disneyland that weekend.

We are giving it a try for the first time every this year. We'll be there on Oct 17. Just dd (14) and myself...she'll want to go for the candy and the rides, not a lot of interest in the characters.

I did MHP* last year. It was the week before Halloween and we bought tickets for two parties a few days apart. Honestly, I wasn't a fan.

PROS

The atmosphere/ambiance was terrific. The lighting and the fog gave the park a really amazing look that's worth seeing in person, for sure.

The fireworks are spectacular. Possibly my favorite firework show at DL. Just simply breathtaking. I think buying a ticket is worth it just to go in and see the firework show, if nothing else! :rotfl2:

If you're into the characters, there's some really unique ones out and about. While waiting for the fireworks to start, I got to see some pretty rare villains as they posed for photos near the train station. I know I saw Hades, which was awesome as he's one of my favorite villains, but I can't remember who else...

CONS

It's not so much that there's a lot of people in the park (though there are), but that the people who do come tend to stay in certain areas almost exclusively. For example, Tomorrowland was surprisingly packed during one of the parties I attended, so much so that you could barely get through.

New Orleans Square and Frontierland were also packed. It seemed like everyone in attendance decided to hang out in those three areas of the park only -- and, to a lesser extent, Main Street -- which left Fantasyland almost completely deserted. Kind of funny, as FL is usually pretty busy!

That might change depending on the day of the week you go, but was, at least, my experience.

If you're buying ticket(s) with the idea of having zero lines and being able to walk right on most, if not all, attractions, get that out of your head right now. I had that idea going into the party, and was really disappointed to find that wasn't the case.

Star Tours was pretty busy (as was all of Tomorrowland, as I mentioned above), so we decided not to bother waiting. POTC wasn't exceptionally crowded, but wasn't a walk-on, either; the line was about the same as normal. Haunted Mansion was insane.

The CMs were also really, really rude. I can't say I blame them for getting grouchy, as the masses of people they were trying to deal with weren't being very kind or receptive to them. Still, it's never fun to encounter one mean CM, never mind several.

The trick-or-treating wasn't a big draw for me, though I tried it. Personally, I found it less riveting than "authentic," door-to-door trick-or-treating, due in large part to how limited the actual treats were. Each treat station had pretty much the same thing, and if you don't like the candy offered (I liked some of it, but very few; the overwhelming majority of it was stuff I never eat), it's really not worth your time.

Finally, MHP has a LOT of very pushy, loud, rude, annoying fans. That's not to say all the people that go to MHP are like this, because, of course, they aren't. Many were very polite (and a lot had some exceptional costumes that they made themselves!). But sadly, during both parties I attended, I noticed that MHP brings out a lot of creeps and jerks. There were people littering their empty candy wrappers all over the park (even with trash cans literally two steps away), not minding their children, pushing people and young kids over, et cetera, et cetera. I don't know why this is, but it seems like MHP attracts some rowdy and mannerless folk; I've heard other party veterans say the same thing.

I'm not sure if this type of behavior would bother you, but I personally found it insufferable.

OVERALL...

Overall, it really depends on what you're interested in and what you hope to do at MHP. If you're wanting short lines for your favorite attractions, I personally wouldn't recommend it. If you're more into meeting characters (particularly the villains) and up for a great fireworks show, then you'd most likely enjoy it. But definitely don't expect super short lines or an empty park! :thumbsup2

*MHP stands for "Mickey's Halloween Party."

I think it's worth it only because adults can dress up! We did, and enjoyed watching the others, who went all out. One family even all wore red contact lenses. It's also worth it if you like collecting character autographs and pictures because there are tons of villains out that you won't see any other time of the year.

I would skip trick or treating because it's a waste of time in long lines for candy you get anywhere, anytime. But they have sections with dance parties that the kids really enjoy.

We went for the first time last year, on a Fri night early in Oct.. It was myself, DH and DS, who was 5. It was a lot of fun, but we probably wouldn't do it again. It was crowded, but I wouldn't say it was insane. We mostly did the treat lines and a few characters. The treat lines move VERY quickly. Except the one at the top of the Monorail in Tomorrowland. OMG, that was the worst! It was also one of the last things we did, so we were already tired and verging on cranky. :rolleyes1

The fog on the water and the Dapper Dans singing was pretty incredible. Loved that!

The fireworks were cancelled on the night of our party, which was really disappointing. Thankfully, we were able to catch them the next night, on a non-party night.

We watched the little parade on Main St. before leaving the park for the night. It was cute and we had curb seats about 5 minutes before it started, which was nice.

We found that it was something we were glad to experience, but don't feel it's worth the extra money.

We went last year for the first time and LOVED IT! That said you should pick what things you care about... rides, TorT, or characters... because you can't do everything. We picked ahead which characters we hoped for and aimed for that. The fireworks were amazing!

I would totally go again. We have AP's included our Halloween party as part of a weekend trip. But another year if we didn't have AP's I would go early, spend the day at Downtown Disney, have a late lunch and enter the park as early as they let you (around 4ish depending on specific schedules for the day) then stay until close. You could make a whole trip just around the Halloween party.

Make sure you dress up! People watching was so fun.

Honestly, we went last year on a Friday in mid October and we weren't fans. It was a lot busier than I thought it would be and it seemed like several attractions were closed including Toontown (after the short, crowded pre-party). Getting into the park around 5 pm was a madhouse with lines back to the lockers. The trick or treating was fun for a couple of lines and then we realized the candy was just "eh" and that we'd rather stand in line for a dole whip (but that was closed, too). All in all, of someone gave us free tickets we'd likely go, at least for a bit, but it's not worth the price to me.
Last year we had 2 day PH tickets and one MHP. This year, we are getting 4 day PH passes and actually spending less $ than last year.

I really only go for the special villains, if that's your thing, or the trick or treating . The fireworks were great but little kids may not even be awake at that point. It might be fun to try with older kids- 10 and up. Just my two cents!

These are my thoughts, having gone to the MHP in 2010 and 2011. The crowds will be heavy, and there will be congestion spots throughout the parks, especially during the parade where it will be next to impossible to traverse different areas of the park depending on where you want to go, especially Tomorrowland, and Fantasyland up to an hour before the parade starts. That said here are my suggestions: First off, do not go to the parks during the day prior to the party, especially with young children. We did it with our kids who were 7 & 8, and even for us it was a bit too much even with older kids. Go to the pool, check out downtown DL and take it easy before the party. Bring a packpack with you with another bag inside of it. The bags they give you for the trick or treating are really small, so having the back pack to dump the candy into really helps and let's you get more candy. It also keeps the weight evenly distributed on your back. While the candy lines do get long, they move quickly. The CM's really appreciate a kind word, and they do have healthy snacks, so ask for them if you want them. The 4 of us without even visiting 1/3rd of the park during the MHP we went to ended up with over 20lbs of candy! Safe to say the backpack was heavy at the end of the night. IMHO the fireworks show is worth the price of the party alone. Hope this helps.
Trish

My best friend took her family two years ago and she said it was the worst experience of her life. Way crowded. She said she couldn't believe it was an event that had additional costs, based on how crowded it was.

My honest opinion on Mickey's Halloween Party is that is a nice complement to the Halloween Time offerings, which are somewhat limited, and it helps to fill out a Halloween season trip a bit more and make it more rewarding overall.

However, that said, I think that it's possible to enjoy Halloween Time, the season, without going to the MHP if money is an issue or if nothing at the MHP sounds too appealing. In other words, I think it's worth it only if meeting extra Villains/characters and seeing the party exclusives are important to you, but I don't think it's a huge deal to skip it. The tickets are costly, even with discounts.

I certainly wouldn't call the MHP the worst experience of my life -- on the contrary, it is quite fun -- but I definitely agree with your friend that it is too crowded for a hard ticket party at times. I think that Disney sells too many tickets to the MHP. The crowds can kind of ebb and flow on any given night, though. They move around and congregate in different areas. Some nights may seem less crowded than others, even if they are sold out.

I am thinking that Halloween on a Friday is going to be a big draw for the MHP this year. Most Friday parties are big draws, but the fact that the actual holiday is on a day/night when a lot of people can stay awake without worrying about work and school the next day is a big factor.

I think a Halloween Friday night party will be a lot of fun, though!:rotfl2:

We feel the price is worth the fireworks. The Halloween fireworks are the best fireworks of any Disney park I have seen.
Last year we did two nights. One night we did the TorT trails and some Villains, the second we did the rides/cavalcade/fireworks.
We will probably do the same agin this year. We tend to go to the mid-week parties to help costs.

We went last year on a Friday, but the first Friday in October. My daughter was almost 3. I would NOT take little kids on the actual Halloween night! Let them trick or treat in their neighborhood and wait when you can go not on a Friday night and not on Halloween! Just my 2 cents....

PocahontasLookALike said:

We go every year, usually on a Friday in the beginning of October. I disagree with it being crowded, but crowds are very subjective. Its all how you look at it. We get a lot done and really have a blast every year. The atmosphere is just magical!
We drive out from the Las Vegas area just to attend the party and we purposely avoid Halloween itself. I just prefer that we trick or treat in our neighborhood on the actual day. However, if I were in Disneyland on Halloween then I would definitely go. The fireworks alone are spectacular!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter