Browns vs. the Mexican Riviera, March 4-11, 2012 (completed 3/20; added Navigators)

Small question, what time did you arrive back from the Las Caletas tour? I am thinking of booking the 1030 tour, not sure if I will get back too late to make it to our dinner seating....

Great trip report! Thank you! We are sailing in a little over 2 weeks! I'm so excited!

So bummed that the Wonder is going to leave the MR. Looks like it will be an awesome vacation! :goodvibes

Wonderful TR, I really enjoyed reading it! I am trying to find out as much info as I can about the Wonder and what things there are to do on it, my DH and I are not going to the MR, but we are going on the Wonder to Alaska in June for our 5th Anniversary, so your report with all of the food and activities was super helpful! I'm glad you had an enjoyable trip, and thanks again for the spectacular report!

Small question, what time did you arrive back from the Las Caletas tour? I am thinking of booking the 1030 tour, not sure if I will get back too late to make it to our dinner seating....

We were on the 7:30AM tour, and we were back probably around 2:30 I'd say. I don't remember exactly, but I do recall thinking that if I wanted to I'd have enough time to run across to Walmart or explore a little bit outside the port confines. If you have the early dinner seating, you may or may not make it in time, particularly since you are pretty much guaranteed to want a shower.

We were on the 7:30AM tour, and we were back probably around 2:30 I'd say. I don't remember exactly, but I do recall thinking that if I wanted to I'd have enough time to run across to Walmart or explore a little bit outside the port confines. If you have the early dinner seating, you may or may not make it in time, particularly since you are pretty much guaranteed to want a shower.

Sorry for the all ticky tack questions, but I take it you got to Las Caletas around 830ish, but lunch isnt till 1:30, do they have some snacks around to eat in the mean time, even a bannana or something? Water? Soda? That is a long time to go wihtout eating, especially when you are active.

Thanks for a great TR!
Twindaddy

Sorry for the all ticky tack questions, but I take it you got to Las Caletas around 830ish, but lunch isnt till 1:30, do they have some snacks around to eat in the mean time, even a bannana or something? Water? Soda? That is a long time to go wihtout eating, especially when you are active.

Thanks for a great TR!
Twindaddy

I don't mind at all. :) They said there were going to be tacos when we first got to the island, but I didn't see any (or anyone eating them), so I don't know what the deal was there. I have read of people getting tacos, so either we just completely missed them or something went wrong on our trip. Other than that, there are plenty of drinks. They have big barrels of bottled water on ice right on the beach and you can go to the bar for sodas, juices, or cocktails. They also sold coconuts after a little while, down on the beach. I can't remember how much they were, but I want to say $3. After you finished drinking the juice, they'd offer to cut it up for you, and then they'd sprinkle it with lime juice and chili powder. If you think you may need a snack, bring something prepackaged, and completely sealed (like a little box of cereal from the buffet), because they are incredibly strict about food coming into the country and if you attempt it you could be fined. Definitely no fruit and no dairy![/B]

Thanks so much Erin for your TR. I'm missing the Wonder and it brought back great memories!!

Great Trip Report and thanks for posting all the Navigators! I just booked one of the last MR cruises in November and yours and a TR from December has really helped my out with my potential schedule for the days!

They also sold coconuts after a little while, down on the beach. I can't remember how much they were, but I want to say $3. After you finished drinking the juice, they'd offer to cut it up for you, and then they'd sprinkle it with lime juice and chili powder.

You mention this coconut snack and that you also enjoyed the Pirates night menu more than others. From what I saw from the Dec TR I'm reading it appears that the menu was heavy on the coconut. That's my main reason for wanting to go to Palo that night. I'm guessing that you like coconut and that could influence your liking of the Pirates Menu....just curious?

Ok, so I have the dumbest question ever. Look on google earth, there doesnt seem to be much around the port area in Cabo, just a big dirt lot. Our girls LOVE dress up, so we want to buy them some standard tourist junk, like sombreros and maracas, maybe a dress or something. I assume stuff like that is everywhere in Cabo?

You mention this coconut snack and that you also enjoyed the Pirates night menu more than others. From what I saw from the Dec TR I'm reading it appears that the menu was heavy on the coconut. That's my main reason for wanting to go to Palo that night. I'm guessing that you like coconut and that could influence your liking of the Pirates Menu....just curious?

I didn't actually eat or drink the coconut at Las Caletas, but my sister's family did. I like coconut flavor in stuff, but not so much real coconut. :) I am pulling up the menu right now..... ok, so I did have the pineapple appetizer that has some coconut on the banana on the side, but I also had the pot stickers, which were coconut-free. The main reason I liked the pirate night menu so much was the amazing beef dish I had. No coconut, but it was SO TENDER and cooked perfectly. There was also a little toasted coconut sprinkled on the plate that my crepes came on, but I didn't even pay attention to that.

I'm a picky eater, though... I don't like seafood at all, and I really like beef. So, any night there was a beef dish I ordered it. Personally, the Parrot Cay beef was too big and wasn't a great cut. I was so excited about rib eye, which is one of my favorite cuts, but the fat was chewy, not melt-in-your-mouth bits, and the meat wasn't that tender and a GIGANTIC portion that I couldn't eat half of. The caveat here is that it was the first night and my stomach isn't necessarily ready for a huge heavy meal on a travel day. The Golden Mickeys beef was also a gigantic portion that I couldn't eat, and it wasn't as tender. My least favorite night was probably actually the Captain's Gala! There was no beef on the menu, and the only thing on the menu that I'd eat was the chicken fettucine. It was fine, but I'd have preferred a nice steak that night. That's the night I'd skip for a future Palo dinner. My husband would gladly skip the lobster for Palo, I think, too. The lobster was fine, but I suspect he'd find something even better at Palo. :)

Ok, so I have the dumbest question ever. Look on google earth, there doesnt seem to be much around the port area in Cabo, just a big dirt lot. Our girls LOVE dress up, so we want to buy them some standard tourist junk, like sombreros and maracas, maybe a dress or something. I assume stuff like that is everywhere in Cabo?

You won't be able to avoid it. :) I'd skip the very first flea market thing when you get into port, because it's probably the most expensive. But if you turn right out of the dock and walk around the edge of the water... you turn right to keep on the water again, and then when it gets to a point where you'd turn right one more time to continue at water's edge, on the left side in the corner is another flea market under a tent. That one is probably cheaper and FILLED with every chintzy (or awesome) souvenir you can imagine, including all sorts of clothes.

Hi, Erin!

I noticed your stateroom review on 2114, as I was researching it for a future cruise. Was it quiet? What about movement? Was there a steamer trunk?

Thanks again for the magnets. They look so cute on the frig!

Hi, Erin!

I noticed your stateroom review on 2114, as I was researching it for a future cruise. Was it quiet? What about movement? Was there a steamer trunk?

Thanks again for the magnets. They look so cute on the frig!

I found it to be quite quiet... There was a tiny bit of noise in Cabo when they were getting the tender dock ready, but that didn't bother us at all, and then on the last night there were people out in the halls being loud. That was the only time I ever heard anyone at all.

We didn't notice any movement until the last night, and even then it didn't wake me up or anything.

There was a single steamer trunk across from the bed.

Yay, I'm glad you like them! I put a set on our fridge, and every time I see them they make me think of the cruise... I need to plan another one!

Such a great report! Wonderful pics, beautiful family - but, most of all, your writing conveys the joy and special time your family had on this trip. Thank you for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter