Brother just diagnosed with ALS

rn4val

A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes
My brother who is in really good physical shape (use to do iron man) just got back from Mayo Clinic where he was diagnosed with ALS. He is just 49 years old. Has anyone else gone thru this with a family member? I am an RN but still hard to wrap your mind around a diagnosis like that

I was diagnosed in 2009. Tell your brother to travel and see what he wants before it is to late. I went to Disney world for a week with the family after being diagnosed.

rn4val, sorry to read of your brother's diagnosis. My friend's dad has ALS. It's a long struggle. I agree with PP, tell your brother to travel and do the things he's always wanted while he can. This isn't time to worry about the cost or whatever; it's the time to make memories. Sending :hug: and good thoughts your way.:grouphug::flower3:

Mickey guy, :hug::hug: to you too.

as pp said do what u still want to do now

a co worker of mine died within a year after being diagnosed

I have ALS and am on a ventilator but still travel. Take the advice given- do what you want NOW with him as it will be difficult later.----Kathy

Thanks for the advice especially from those of you courageous folks fighting this disease. God Bless you

I'm sorry to hear about his diagnosis.
This is a really good resource for families, patients and professionals:
http://www.alsa.org/als-care/

I linked to the patient and caregiver page, but there is lots more on the home page.

Research and know the different treatments available. Make sure to have 24/7 caregiving available. Register with MDA. :grouphug:

I just wanted to say that your brother and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers :hug: My mom's brother died from it a few years ago. I agree with the others that say to go ahead and travel and do as much as you can now before it progresses more.

Research and know the different treatments available. Make sure to have 24/7 caregiving available. Register with MDA. :grouphug:

I'm sorry to hear of your brother's diagnosis. ALS is a devastating disease. My cousin passed away due to ALS last night at age 27. It was an unbelievable diagnosis. He fought hard and did a lot from the time he was diagnosed in July of 2010 until now including getting married, having a baby girl, and spending time with friends and family. He did participate in studies that allowed him to use special devices to communicate after he could no longer speak. Do your research, lend your support, and do what you can do together now. God bless!

Prayers for you and your brother. I agree with the others as doing as much as possible now while he still can. I would also like to add that connecting with friends and family or should I say re-connecting is also a good idea. My husbands childhood best friend was diagnosed and we weren't told until after he was past the point of being able to communicate. He passed away a few years ago. We are still both very devastated. We had seen him as adults but it had been about a year as our son was also going through some health problems. We were there for him though as soon as we found out. Also encourage friends and family to get involved with the ALS foundation. Research progress is definately coming along.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter