Broken ankle

sgedeon

Earning My Ears
September 28 we are taking our 6 year old to Disney for the first time. I just fractured my ankle and needed surgery so I can't walk. We were going to rent a wheelchair but after reading this board I think we will rent an ECV. Our daughter has an appointment at BBB. Can I go in with the ECV to watch her get her hair done? We are also going to MNSSHP? Any advice regarding any of our trip is greatly appreciated.

They are so accommodating for disabilities- you'll almost feel VIP. Our best vacation was with my disabled brother on his ECV.

First off so sorry about your ankle! Hope it heals up nicely! I know I'm in the minority here but while wheelchairs have their frustrating times, they also allow for adaptability in some situations that ECV's do not. If you have good upper body strength they are a nice option to consider. Though I would not rent one from the parks themselves as all seemed overlarge and challenging to maneuver. Things some with ECV's mentioned to me were difficulty in turning, dealing with crowds (around parade times and such), even handicap bathrooms not being big enough for the vehicle to turn. While some of these are true in chair as well (especially the last) I could usually carefully and quickly get out of super high traffic events, get myself wherever we were headed, and as the chair is small I could easily watch for darting children. I use ECV type machines at grocery stores sometimes, and while quite nice if my arm or back is injured, I'm always relieved to be back to my chair. Just choose whatever is best for your body and self and it will work out great! There are some tough moments with any mobility device, but an amazing vacation can still be yours! Enjoy your trip to Disney! ~Rebecca :goodvibes

The last time we went to WDW I had just gotten out of a cast after breaking my ankle. Although I was cleared to walk at that time, it was pretty painful and there was a lot of swelling. I rented an ECV. I think that unless you have a good bit of upper body and hand strength, managing a wheelchair by yourself for several days might be daunting. I think you can rent an ECV off site that might have a carrier for your crutches. That way you'd be able to walk yourself into and out of buildings and bathrooms.

No way could i have done it without the ECV. Even with the ECV my ankle swelled up the size of a paint can~! For the record, if you take your ice pack to First Aid they will fill it up with ice. I did this several times each day and just wrapped the ice pack to my ankle with an ACE bandage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter