Broken ankle healing....advice?

LisafromIndiana

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! My fiance and I will be celebrating our disneymoon in June! I have been many times but his first and only trip was in the 1980's. He broke his ankle in September 2016, requiring a metal plate, screws....you get it.

He has done so well with the healing, and is walking unassisted, but still experiencing some pain or tenderness.

We have 6 park days planned, and as many times as I have been...I no longer do the commando thing. Has anyone had a similar experience? And how did your trip go? What did you do to help prevent pain? Any tips or ideas are appreciated!

We will have a split stay....3 nights at CSR and 2 nights at Pop, if that info helps.

I've never had a broken ankle specifically, but I have been recovering from pretty extensive plantar fasciitis. I am very active, so it was killing me. While it was at it's peak late last year, we had a Disney trip planned. Up till then, I had been taking the stubborn approach, pretending I knew what was best. Knowing how many miles we do at Disney each trip, I finally gave in and went and talked to my doctor and just told him what the situation was. He was actually very accommodating, and gave me lots of suggestions on how to enjoy my Disney trip, yet not prolong an already painful healing process.

It won't be the same as for your fiance's situation, but it won't be far off, I imagine. I got fitted for good shoe inserts (these have made the biggest difference). I took ibuprofen as needed. I strictly followed some stretching exercises he gave me, doing them each morning and evening. I was not afraid to tell everyone I needed to take a short break. It worked out just fine, but only until I wised up and checked with my doctor.

I hope you guys have a great time!

I have also been to WDW after plantar fasciitis also.Take lots of breaks. At the larger parks don't be afraid of renting an ecv for the day. Some might suggest going back to your resort midday but it"s a long walk in and out. You might be better off just taking breaks in the parks and going slow.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! My fiance and I will be celebrating our disneymoon in June! I have been many times but his first and only trip was in the 1980's. He broke his ankle in September 2016, requiring a metal plate, screws....you get it.

He has done so well with the healing, and is walking unassisted, but still experiencing some pain or tenderness.

We have 6 park days planned, and as many times as I have been...I no longer do the commando thing. Has anyone had a similar experience? And how did your trip go? What did you do to help prevent pain? Any tips or ideas are appreciated!

We will have a split stay....3 nights at CSR and 2 nights at Pop, if that info helps.
Take things slow ( witch it sounds like you are doing)

if he finds he just can not walk or stand on it then look into getting a wheel chair or an ECV so that he dose not need to stand walk on it too much ( but hopefully you will not need one)

first aid if he need to rest it or ice it they also have OTC and ace wraps ( or they did when I needed then) and a place to lie down for a bit)

Keep some plastic bags in your purse or day pack. When you are going back to your room stop and fill them up with ice so you don't have to make another trip. I always pack ankle braces and knee braces where ever we go on vacation. Dh and I have both twisted ankles on trips and having them helps.

Just a few fast thoughts:

- put the contact information for rental vendors in your phone ahead of time, so if you need to rent an ECV or wheelchair, you won't be fumbling for the best vendor in a stressful moment. You will find many posts here on who is the "best" - search using the box in the upper right corner to find the most recent posts regarding vendors! :)

- Every Park has a First Aid Station, and the location is marked on the paper map you can grab as you enter (as well as in the maps that are part of the My Disney Experience app for your smartphone). At First Aid, he can lie down if he needs to, or get an ice pack.

- Since you no longer do "commando-style" touring (and good for you, I say!) plan your days with a "Resort break"; maybe get in the pool (which will feel AWESOME for his ankle, because the water will take all of the weight off of his foot) or just relax in the room for an hour or two. Plan your movements around the Parks so that you have plenty of "seat time", and remember that you can always sit with a free cup of ice water at Quick Servs for an additional break. See if you can afford a Dessert Party for fireworks at night, to give you a place to sit during fireworks with a good view after a long day.

- Disney Springs is HUGE now - you will need to allow plenty of time - and rest breaks - to cover it!

- Finally, remember that you don't have to do *everything* in one trip. In fact, it's nearly impossible anyway, so don't make both of you crazy and tired and hurty trying. Leave something to look forward to, and go home with happy memories and everyone in good shape!

Have a super trip! :)

Lots of breaks, ice it, and think about renting a wheelchair for the parks, esp the larger ones.

Have fun! :)

Broke an ankle end of Feb 2 years ago. Surgery... plate, 9 pins, 2 large screws. Devastated to cancel a May trip.
Had many sessions of therapy, faithfully did my exercises and was determined I was going to WDW as soon as I could. I wore a Disney shirt and earrings every single session for motivation. Could never, ever have dreamed of doing Disney without ECV prior to 6 months and glad I waited the extra month or two.

Ended up going in October and did very well. Did our usual LOT of walking....3 parks a day....but I did stop and rest occasionally massaging and flexing that foot.

At night at the resort I put on a Dynarex Instant Cold Pack faithfully. Brought a bunch in suitcase.

He should be fine. I was old when it happened and I did exceedingly well on the trip.

The downer is I doubt his ankle will ever be truly 'normal'. Still have some swelling & soreness (Ortho Surgeon says normal) and struggle with temp changes. Screws sometimes drive me nuts but can't fathom more surgery and have been saved by a certain ankle support from Amazon. I have gone to WDW at least 5 more times since, so nothing stops WDW.

Good luck to you both. Hope you have a wonderful time.

Disability Access could be helpful as it will limit the amount of time spent standing on the ankle in lines. My mother had foot surgery a few months ago, and we used it at WDW (in addition to renting an ECV, and she brought crutches along as well just in case). It was very helpful for her to not spend excessive time standing on it while waiting in lines.

I would definitely recommend renting an ECV. I have bad ankles and broke mine before our last Disney trip. It had mostly healed and like him I had tenderness and a little pain. I figured I could go without. I managed to last about 30 minutes. We ended up having to rent an ECV. That being said I did walk and wait in line, but getting from ride to ride was made easier.

Take it from someone that's been there. It would be better if he isn't in pain during the trip. It will be much better for everyone.

Disability Access could be helpful as it will limit the amount of time spent standing on the ankle in lines. My mother had foot surgery a few months ago, and we used it at WDW (in addition to renting an ECV, and she brought crutches along as well just in case). It was very helpful for her to not spend excessive time standing on it while waiting in lines.
The DAS is not for someone with just mobility problems like a broken ankle since the lines are assessable ( for the most part and the one that are not they have alternative entrances ) you can stay in a wheel chair or ECV or use your roller in line and you can sit in any of these things while you are waiting in line just as you can out side of the lines. OP I would not plane on getting a DAS if all you need is some help with mobility

The DAS is not for someone with just mobility problems like a broken ankle since the lines are assessable ( for the most part and the one that are not they have alternative entrances ) you can stay in a wheel chair or ECV or use your roller in line and you can sit in any of these things while you are waiting in line just as you can out side of the lines. OP I would not plane on getting a DAS if all you need is some help with mobility

I'm not talking about mobility. I'm talking about people who cannot stand in line for a medical reason. Walking and standing on a recently broken ankle could cause excessive pain and swelling, for instance. I think that's a valid reason, though obviously that is at the discretion of Disney guest services representatives. If he doesn't use an ECV for the entire trip (and who could blame him for not wanting to do so?), he may medically be unable to stand in line for any great period of time without being in a lot of pain. For instance, my mother: She used an ECV for the second part of our trip when it became too much for her to walk, but the first part she attempted to walk with just the aid of her crutches. She needed the access because if she spent too much time standing, her foot would swell to the point that her incision would break open. And at one point it did, thus her decision to use an ECV, even though *technically* she was able to walk.

I'm not talking about mobility. I'm talking about people who cannot stand in line for a medical reason.

Unable to stand or limited walking IS a mobility issue -- at least by Disney terms. The recommended accommodation is to use a mobility device -- be that a wheelchair, ECV, walker, rollator, etc. If your parent was given a DAS for a broken ankle or recently healed ankle, consider yourself in a minority as DAS is not typically granted for such needs. To avoid standing/walking in line, a person can sit on a wheelchair or ECV. If they don't wish to sit the whole day, they are welcome to park it and walk some, or push it and sit when needed. It's just how WDW handles accommodation and is stated in their literature. I'm glad you and your family enjoyed your vacation, but others shouldn't expect to receive a DAS for a broken ankle.

OP -- I suggest he talk to his doctor or physical therapist. They may have some suggestions or specific limitations. Most people walk 6-10 miles per day at WDW, for multiple days in a row. For most of us that is considerably more walking than our bodies are used to doing. I agree that an ECV might be a very good option for him.

Enjoy your vacation!

DH broke ankle in May 2016 and we did DLR in August 2016. No surgery, so less than what you're coping with. Took mid-day break and he had his ankle up resting and iced. We used essential oils all through his healing and on our trip- especially lemongrass and the Doterra Aromatouch blend (peppermint, basil, lavender, marjoram). These seemed to help a lot. He also got a flexible ankle brace that he wore in the mornings. He was pretty swollen in the afternoons. He wasn't 100%, but we had a great time and he was able to do a lot. Good luck!!!

i already gave my opinion that a broken ankle was not normily Disney will give a DAS out for and like Ladejudy said people should not exspect to get a DAS for broken ankles and should plane to get a mobility device to help make getting around easer

Last edited:
I like the idea of using essential oils. Can you tell me more about how you used them?

DH broke ankle in May 2016 and we did DLR in August 2016. No surgery, so less than what you're coping with. Took mid-day break and he had his ankle up resting and iced. We used essential oils all through his healing and on our trip- especially lemongrass and the Doterra Aromatouch blend (peppermint, basil, lavender, marjoram). These seemed to help a lot. He also got a flexible ankle brace that he wore in the mornings. He was pretty swollen in the afternoons. He wasn't 100%, but we had a great time and he was able to do a lot. Good luck!!!

I like the idea of using essential oils. Can you tell me more about how you used them?
I would put a carrier oil (coconut oil) in a roller and add about 15 drops of EO and used it to massage feet/ankle. When I was using multiple ones, I'd just put drops in my hand with the coconut oil. The rollerballs are better for travel- neater

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter