• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Broken ankle dilemma

TeresaMc

Mouseketeer
I broke my ankle right before Thanksgiving and healing is not going very quick. I have had my cast off for about 4 weeks and walking on level ground is mediocre at best with rest stops as long as I go slow and take frequent breaks. Stairs on the other hand are virtually impossible (thankfully we live in a ranch house). I am concerned about all of the attractions that have steps, is there a way to avoid steps, do I need any documentation saying I should avoid steps? I do not plan on renting an evc, I can walk intermittently and I only need sit down breaks of a couple minutes.

You can speak with Guest Relations about how to avoid stairs in the few lines that have steps. But I also suggest you consider using an ECV if you are still having difficulty walking. WDW is not flat, and most people walk somewhere between 6-10 miles per day. With an ECV, you can bring it right into lines (and that will be the obvious cue that you need to avoid stairs) or park it for a while and walk a bit to stretch your legs.

Enjoy your vacation!

As was mentioned, you dont need anything to use an ECV or wheelchair in lines.

You can get a Guest Assistance Card that would let you avoid stairs and get on where the moving walkways can be stopped or slowed. There is more information in post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread. You can find that thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.

Post 2 of that thread has information about renting ECVs and wheelchairs.
Posts 18-22 on page 2 have information about attractions that have a step in or out that might be difficult.

I am really going to avoid needing an evc. I have done some trade shows/car shows the past few weekends and survived. I am walking slow but walking for several hours. I am also trying to use the treadmill a couple times a week. I still have a few months before our trip, but sadly this is the second time I have broken this ankle and I remember last time recovery was long and I was in my late 20's then, so I'm sure late 40's will be even worse.

I was thinking that too, but the more I thought about it the longer my list got, which brought me to ask this question.

Post 28 on page 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread has information bout attractions ith stirs and moving walkways.

There are also some attractions, like Soarin' and Big Thunder Mountain tht do not have stairs, but o have ramped queue, which may be n issue for your ankle.

If you o start out walking, but find it's too much, you can always call one of he offsite rental companies (post 2 of FAQs thread) to arrange for an ECV.

I broke my ankle right before Thanksgiving and healing is not going very quick. I have had my cast off for about 4 weeks and walking on level ground is mediocre at best with rest stops as long as I go slow and take frequent breaks. Stairs on the other hand are virtually impossible (thankfully we live in a ranch house). I am concerned about all of the attractions that have steps, is there a way to avoid steps, do I need any documentation saying I should avoid steps? I do not plan on renting an evc, I can walk intermittently and I only need sit down breaks of a couple minutes.
I was wondering if you have had any physical therapy since your healing? They can help a LOT in making you less painful and strengthen your ankle to where it needs to be again! Just getting up and walking on it helps continue bone growth and strength but therapy will take you a whole lot further and FASTER!!!
:cheer2:pixiedust:

I broke my ankle and leg a few years ago and I found that even after a few months my ankle would swell up even when I used an ECV. If you are having problems doing stairs, I would suggest that you reconsider the renting of an ECV. Why make it harder on yourself? The rest of your party would probably be thankful that you can keep up with them. Finding a place to sit down for a break in WDW is not as easy as it may seem. With an ECV, you always have a place to sit. If you are dead set upon not using an ECV, think about using a rollalator. That is the type of walker that has a seat. At least you would always have a place to sit in line if you became fatigued.

I was wondering if you have had any physical therapy since your healing? They can help a LOT in making you less painful and strengthen your ankle to where it needs to be again! Just getting up and walking on it helps continue bone growth and strength but therapy will take you a whole lot further and FASTER!!!
:cheer2:pixiedust:
That is a good point.
We had a foreign exchange student from France who had broken her ankle more than a year before she came to us.
When she got here, she was quite limited in how much walking she could do, etc. Then, stepping off the school bus one day, she stepped 'wrong' and her ankle swelled up more than normal after a school day.
It turned out that the original ankle break had healed, but the bone and muscles never got strong and she kept repeatedly getting stress fractures.
They put a cast on for about a month, then she started a Physical Therapy program. She started out slow with non-impact things like using a cross country ski machine, exercise bike and elliptical trainer. The therapist gradually added things like treadmill, stair climber and weight machine.
A few months later, she was no longer in pain and was skiing and running and has no problems since.

She and her family were very happy because she had been athletic (skiing and competitive synchronized swimming) but had benn very limited in what she could do.

I am doing therapy twice a week and working it myself on off days. Really hoping to just "be all better" but every time I go up or down stairs I have serious doubts. My husband is a smoker...trust me he knows all the hidden place to take a sit down break.

I have a folding cane that I carry in my backpack and take out and use occasionally. However, I've found that if I have my cane out when I enter lines, the CMs always offer me a way to access the attraction, bypassing any stairs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter