• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Broke down and gave DC a phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh, I'm suddenly remembering this poster from long ago, when she wasn't afraid to refer to her "DC" as her daughter. Didn't she buy her daughter a cow? Or a sheep, or something? And then have an over-the-top elaborate birthday party for her with a limo? I may be remembering some of the details wrong. :happytv:

Lol! I remember that poster vaguely.

I do think OP is a reincarnation of someone though.

The class was $85
Shoes were $25
Ref kit, bag, flags. Whistle, yellow and red cards, game score card, coin, bag and watch were $91

Our agreement is DC pays back half of everything earned until what we have invested is paid back. It isn't about not having the money for it, it is to make DC realize there is a cost to earning money.

OP have you ever been on Wife Swap?

The class was $85
Shoes were $25
Ref kit, bag, flags. Whistle, yellow and red cards, game score card, coin, bag and watch were $91

Our agreement is DC pays back half of everything earned until what we have invested is paid back. It isn't about not having the money for it, it is to make DC realize there is a cost to earning money.

Certainly that is one way to view the situation.

About the soccer-I would see it differently. If a tween was providing a service to her community and stepping up as a leader/role model, I would encourage that. I would never want to even accidentally infer that there is a price to be paid for getting involved in this kind of work.

It never bothered me to "pay" the reasonable basic cost when my kids/teens were helping others, or making a difference in our community, even if they were getting a smallish paycheck in return.
(Sometimes they got paid, sometimes they got a very nice reference. The important thing was, though, they never had to make their decisions to help out based on how much it was going to cost them.)

The class was $85
Shoes were $25

How very generous of you. :rolleyes:

Dis is all kind of Crazy

And...

Downright Comedy

The OP has me on ignore :dance3:, so I guess I will never get the answer as to why he is so concerned about bullying, yet buys a phone for his daughter that guarantees, by his own admission, more bullying.

Also, if the phone is a convenience for him and not for the daughter, why does the 11 year old daughter have to pay for it? It is for the OP's convenience.

Does the OP make it a habit to have other people pay for stuff that is for his convenience? Maybe that is how he can shut down Palo to an entire ship for his party of 20 so that they can have some privacy.

Wife Swap??? :lmao::lmao::lmao: Oh my goodness. Love it.

But according to previous posts, this poster claims they are not married and does not believe that monogamy is part of a human's biological makeup. So their wife swap would be a very interesting episode :rolleyes1

I think the fact that she even posted 'DC' got a phone was the admission.
:thumbsup2

From the forum Description:
Join our moderators in a discussion forum for any topic, Disney or otherwise. Swap stories, information, ask questions...just be friendly :)

Several have not been friendly and no rule was broken by posting this story which was a backpedaling of an earlier stance I had taken.

We believe that money is earned and not given which is why we are requiring our child reimburse us for the cost we have spent for DC to be able to referee soccer games and babysit. Both are activities which will earn money.

We have paid an allowance of $1 per grade level since DC started school. We tie it into chores being completed. Don't do the chores, don't get an allowance. It is how things will be in the real world, don't do the work and you don't get paid.

By the way, we have given our DC a phone and are paying for a basic plan for two years as posted in the first post. DATA will be permitted after one year as long as DC pays the difference. After two years, we plan on having DC take over full cost of the phone. And yes we made the contract between ourselves and DC based on the one found in the link I previously posted.

It is our opinion of how we prefer to do things in our family. It doesn't make us right or superior, just how we view the world. Others are free to do as they please. This works for us and frankly for DC.

Hrhpd: The poster put me off when she/he said a job applicant wouldn't even be considered if they pre-salted/seasoned their food , due to " snap judgments" Then to add insult to injury find out that it was an IBM internet thing.

You reminded me who the poster was. I was FUMING that day with that thread. Certainly came across as superior to me. I had spent that day doing no less than 20 frustrating on-line job applications. I won't forget again who is real around here.

People think we have short memories. I mean I do but can always count on friends to catch things.

Like I said Dis is Crazy. We need to walk away and not feed into it anymore.

I feel like the op is trying to wow us with how morally superior she is as a parent and person.
We of course need to know how fabulously wealthy they are - like they are the only ones who work hard and sacrifice. We also have to know all about her extravagant trips and gifts. But hey! I'm teaching my children responsibility by making them pay me back for everything.
I call Bully! If you were so worried about that you would be more humble. You'd also know and be teaching your children that you are very, very lucky to be so fabulously wealthy because not everyone who works just as hard as you do will achieve the same level of wealth. And you wouldn't be sending mixed messages to us and your children about teaching them responsibility by nickel diming them on classes to better themselves or drawing the line in the sand over a cell phone when you are supposedly living such an otherwise extravagant and privileged life.

me, too... :surfweb:

Otherwise I wouldn't open this up because the OP likes to :stir:

:thumbsup2

The OP lost me when they used an old urban legend about IBM hiring practices as something they do regularly in their job searches.

I very, very seriously doubt his housekeeper's friends' kids are driving 2015 Lexus's and Navigators. Sounds more like a fast food burger from BK than something really happening.

As for what the original post intended to convey, :confused3

Oh hell that's where the OP sounded familiar to me from. I'm out of here I have better things to do on a Sat evening then play this game any further.

hrhd: The poster put me off when she/he said a job applicant wouldn't even be considered if they pre-salted/seasoned their food , due to " snap judgments" Then to add insult to injury find out that it was an IBM internet thing.

You reminded me who the poster was. I was FUMING that day with that thread. Certainly came across as superior to me. I had spent that day doing no less than 20 frustrating on-line job applications. I won't forget again who is real around here.

People think we have short memories. I mean I do but can always count on friends to catch things.

Like I said Dis is Crazy. We need to walk away and not feed into it anymore.

This bears REPEATING.

She's baiting. Do NOT take the BAIT.

:badpc::badpc::badpc:

The class was $85
Shoes were $25

I really feel sorry for your child
To make an 11 year old girl pay any of thiss back is sad

I really feel sorry for your child
To make an 11 year old girl pay any of thiss back is sad

Soccer refs here have to be 15 - ds16 has reffed some younger rec games, but he is scared of reffing the older travel kids (because of the parents). He's going to face his fears in the fall, because those games pay $40 a game (instead of $20). We paid for the classes, his grandfather bought him the shirt (87 and still a soccer ref - just gave up softball this year).

I can't imagine an 11 year old girl dealing with any of the soccer parents! They can be brutal! I also wouldn't let an 11 year old babysit - mother's helper, yes, for $6 an hour.

Thanks, wondered what it meant too.

Why not just say son or daughter. Why do people on dis refer to their children as ds or dd? I've never heard anyone other than here call refer to children in the manner.

::yes::

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter