• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Broke down and gave DC a phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyTogether

Mouseketeer
DC passed soccer referee class and has been asked to babysit for several families on the street. No way I am sitting at a field all day and most friends do not have home phones (though I think one of the couple should leave their phone at home for an emergency!).

Had a GSM quad band unlocked phone I got for $10 on eBay about five years ago. Went to Cricket and got a $25 a month talk and text only plan, no data slapped in their SIM card and was done. We will pay $25 a month for first year, kid can buy a phone with data next year and pay difference. After two years, kid is responsible for talk, text and data .

Could not add to my plan as I would have to give up unlimited Data.

We found a happy medium that works for us! Friends making fun because of no data and no glass screen, (old blackberry style keyboard).

And your issue is? Or question. What am I missing, sorry?:confused3

Does "DC" stand for your child? I feel really dense today.:lmao:

How old is your child? My friends with young kids don't quite get it yet, but most parents give in eventually. We did have to give up our unlimited data when the kids got iPhones. It does stink, but it's still more cost effective than having 2 separate bills.

As far as to what type of phone, I'm not sure if my kids know anyone that doesn't have a smart phone anymore. DS was on a travel baseball team of 15 boys this past summer- they had a group iMessage going- all 15 of them had iPhones. None of them were old enough to have a job (just finished their freshman year of high school) and especially didn't have time for one with their travel baseball schedules.

I would love to be a kid these days! :lmao:

Why would you forfeit unlimited data by adding another phone? Ours just charges for the line( a nominal fee, $15) per month and everyone has unlimited data. Most plans allow for the older versions of Samsung, Iphone or similar/smart phones with no cost when you add a phone for a two year plan. Not sure why you would need to get an older model. Are you TRYING to make it difficult for your "DC"?

I'm not sure what you are looking for here either. Sympathy? Advice?

I'll just mention that I only carry talk and text (unlimited both) on my phone and my bill runs about $13 a month with taxes.

What is connection of soccer referee and babysitting?

I took it as those are the reasons the kid needs the phone. Mom/dad doesn't want to go to every game he/she referees and the houses that he/she will babysit at do not have home phones.

Why would you forfeit unlimited data by adding another phone? Ours just charges for the line( a nominal fee, $15) per month and everyone has unlimited data. Most plans allow for the older versions of Samsung, Iphone or similar/smart phones with no cost when you add a phone for a two year plan. Not sure why you would need to get an older model. Are you TRYING to make it difficult for your "DC"?

Exactly. We just added a family member to our plan. Just talk and text. The phone (new) cost $1.06 with tax, there was a $40 one time activation fee and it's $15 a month.

Also don't know what DC stands for. My dd got her phone just before the start of middle school. I wanted to be able to get in touch with her when she was with friends.

DC stands for Dear Child. I had been against getting DC a phone, but relented.

I am grandfathered into unlimited data. Adding a phone for a family member would take away my unlimited data. I also feel that DC does not need data and talk and text would be sufficient.

I wanted a separate line and phone bill as I want DC to be able to take it over after two years and did not want a contract.

I am grandfathered into unlimited data. Adding a phone for a family member would take away my unlimited data. I also feel that DC does not need data and talk and text would be sufficient.

I wanted a separate line and phone bill as I want DC to be able to take it over after two years and did not want a contract.

Thanks for the definition of DC!!! I'm still wondering if you had a question or concern in your original post. I'm guessing it's just a vent of sorts or a post to let the world know you relented and got your kid a cell phone. I probably don't know your "back story" so I guess that's why I'm wondering what the post is actually about.

Never say never....lol.

I had to get my youngest a cell when she was in 5th grade because we were moving and had NO landline.

It happens.

Thanks, wondered what it meant too.

Why not just say son or daughter. Why do people on dis refer to their children as ds or dd? I've never heard anyone other than here call refer to children in the manner.

Thanks, wondered what it meant too.

Why not just say son or daughter. Why do people on dis refer to their children as ds or dd? I've never heard anyone other than here call refer to children in the manner.

DC is a new one for me. My guess is the OP does not want us to know the gender of the child? Maybe I'm wrong, but if you look back at both posts, there are no gender pronouns used.

I prefer the old fashioned words spelled out so that people can understand who you're talking about. I once read a post full of SIL, DIL, STBX-BIL, DD, DH, SS, etc. I had to stop reading. No one knew what the heck the poster was talking about!

DC is a new one for me. My guess is the OP does not want us to know the gender of the child? Maybe I'm wrong, but if you look back at both posts, there are no gender pronouns used.

!

I saw that too-odd

I remember in the "olden days " when mine were preteens-BEGGED for a beeper! we finally gave in -so silly, really;)

Then they would use my phone when in the car....finally it made more sense for them having phones. It happens to us all :)

I saw that too-odd I remember in the "olden days " when mine were preteens-BEGGED for a beeper! we finally gave in -so silly, really;) Then they would use my phone when in the car....finally it made more sense for them having phones. It happens to us all :)

Oh how cool beepers. Lol

The day my husband handed in his beeper for a cell phone was a happy day.

I know I'm a dinosaur. I can't get past the fact that parents who hire babysitters seem to assume all babysitters come with cellphones and therefore they don't have landlines. If you're a parent what do you do if the sitter doesn't have a cell? Don't hate; I said I'm a dinosaur. ;-)

I think OP's solution is pretty smart though her kid probably thinks he's shamed for life with the nerd phone.

My sister and her husband are grandfathered into an unlimited package too.

They can't add a line or be late on payment. The deal is so good, when their two kids get little older, they plan on getting separate plan with different company just for them.

Op I would just die without data, die I tell you die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter