Broadway Theatre strike IS OVER!!!!

If we're lucky, this will all be over by tomorrow... however I doubt it will be. If that's the case, I'm planning on dragging my group to the Gershwin Theatre to meet Annaleigh Ashford. :hippie:

How was the show?!!! I can't wait to go. 2 weeks and counting.
Well, as you may know the reviews have not been good. I went with a pretty low expectations and had a good time. I must say that is was not as good as The Producers, but I would say it's on par with Spamalot. Our party all enjoyed the show very much. The actors playing Frau Brucher and Igor were absolute gems.

After the curtain call, they sang a little ditty where the line "Next, The Blazing Saddles!" got a big laugh. I told DH that I would see The Blazing Saddles, the Musical just to see how they would stage Mongo punching the horse.

Oh, and prepare for a lot of flashing lights! I half jokingly said to my sister there's enough flashes to give an epileptic a seizure.

I am so bummed!!! We had fifth row orchestra seats for today's matinee of The Little Mermaid. We bought them months ago using presale. I picked today since it didn't conflict with my DH college football team's game. We got to NY at around 10:00 a.m. and heard of the strike shortly after. We called to get new LM tickets, and it is basically sold out until March. At least we got to shop and have a nice lunch.

I'm back from the matinee of Young Frankenstein, and everything went off without a hitch. The foot traffic around Time Square was lighter than usual, but not by much. The car traffic on the other hand was bad. It seemed like every street was having some utility work done. It took us 25 minutes to get from the 40th and Broadway to Midtown Tunnel.

When our show was cancelled, we went to the box office for Young Frankenstein to hope we could get tickets. We could get premium tickets if we wanted at $450 dollars a ticket. Ouch! Needless to say, we passed. How was the show? It will probably be the next one we go to see. (but not with premium seats...we'll stick to the orchestra or front mezz)

When our show was cancelled, we went to the box office for Young Frankenstein to hope we could get tickets. We could get premium tickets if we wanted at $450 dollars a ticket. Ouch! Needless to say, we passed. How was the show? It will probably be the next one we go to see. (but not with premium seats...we'll stick to the orchestra or front mezz)
Sorry about the cancellation. :hug: Will LM offer you a presale when the next block of tickets go on sale?

We enjoyed Young Frankenstein. The theater was packed so I guess somebody must have paid the crazy premium price.:eek:

Yos, I feel your pain. We had great seats for the 8:00 Little Mermaid tonight that I got the minute they went on sale, which were a birthday present for my sister. She's been looking forward to seeing this show since I told her it was a rumor Ariel would be coming to New York!:)

We had a nice time in the city (the weather was a perfect November day, I wasn't even cold), but we were really disappointed not to get to see the show, and everything we tried to get tickets for this afternoon (including Radio City) was sold out already. Oh well. I hope to speak to someone at the theater either tomorrow or early in the week and see if there's any way they can offer us comparable seats for another performance.

I'm happy some of you got to see your shows, but it doesn't look good for anyone with tickets for tomorrow on currently dark shows. When we went to the Little Mermaid box office just to see what was going on, they were giving people advice on shows that were still running tomorrow and said, "We don't know what's going to happen Monday." I took that to mean that dark shows will not show tomorrow either and they'll be back in talks on Monday.:confused3

Oh SHOOT!! I just remembered we bought these through a "ticket broker" read scalper I guess. I better get ALL my money back! I want to kick some teamster butt right now. Where is Giuliani when I need him?

It depends on the ticket broker: StubHub will refund shipping. Go Tickets will not refund shipping.

Even if you bought the tickets through a "service", if you are here on the day your show is cancelled, PLEASE go to the box office anyway to try to get a refund or exchange. I know the tickets say no refunds or exchanges, but I know a few box office managers. They have very upset people coming to them all the time because either the date is wrong on the ticket & they didn't realize it when they received it, or they showed up for the wrong performance, ie. the evening performance when the ticket was for the matinee earlier that day, or the star of the show cancelled performing that day. :headache: If a show is not consistently sold out, they WILL try their best to exchange the ticket for another night they can get you in on or maybe make other arrangements. If the star of the show, (name on the marquis) cancels, you are entitled to a refund.

This may not help if you won't be in town later, :( but at least you may be able to resell the ticket (at the same price or less, so it's not scalping,) or give the ticket to someone who can use it. Even a little money back is better than nothing.

Do you know if that includes the Jersey Boys national tour?

The stagehands might not be under the same union as this is for IATSE Local #1, but I'm not sure. :confused: I'll see if I can find the info for you.

Do you know if that includes the Jersey Boys national tour?

No. This affects only local stagehands. The people who travel with touring performances won't be affected, even if they hold a Local 1 card. (DH holds a card for Local 9 but when he was on tour he wasn't affected by Union actions outside of the local he was a member of.) Each local operates seperately, and IATSE from Local One don't work outside of their area except under very rare circumstances. (For example sometimes guys from Local 1 will pick up Local 4 overflow, etc.)

The IATSE in your area are represented by a completely different contract, and I highly doubt they will strike in solidarity, as people in KY could care less about a NYC union, and the local knows it.

This strike will only affect local 1 venues, although there might be some informational leafleting at Local 4/340/21 venues if the strike continues.

Oh my gosh...I am soooo dissapointed:mad: !!!I can't believe this . I have a bus tour and tickets to see Wicked on Broadway in NYC next weekend (11/17) . My daughter wanted to see Wicked again as we saw it last Feb. in Providence RI and she also wanted to go into NYC again on our "annual" Christmas bus trip to NYC. I called a travel agent and got both the tickets and bus trip ...it was going to be such a big deal for us ...our 1st ever Broadway show.:sad2: My dd11 doesn't even know that I planned the trip . I was going to tell her on Friday, the day before.
Keep your fingers crossed that maybe the strike will be over by next Saturday:thumbsup2 Now what will I get her for Christmas.:mad:

Are they making any progress? Do they see a end in sight? :confused3

Here is hoping it won't last long.:wizard:

Are they making any progress? Do they see a end in sight? :confused3

Here is hoping it won't last long.:wizard:

I just googled "Broadway stike" and according to the most recent reports , it looks like there is no end in sight for the near future.:sad1: I'm loosing hope for my trip in to NYC on Saturday. I'll hopefully get my $$ back for the Wicked tickets from the travel agent , but I don't think I'll be able to get the bus trip refunded. NYC 6 weeks before Christmas with no lighted Christmas tree:rolleyes: . We'll just head on over to the Disney Store and The American Girl Doll Store , I guess.
I hope we still get to see Wicked sometime this winter or spring...this is such a big trip for dd11 and myself...:thumbsup2

Unfortunately no progress. :( I'll try to update as soon as I hear something new.

Here's the latest local news report:
http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=1&aid=75514

No New Talks Scheduled At Close Of Day Three In Stagehands Strike

November 12, 2007

Stagehands with picket signs lined 45th Street Monday where shows like “Lion King,” “Seafarer” and “Chorus Line” have gone dark and are expected to remain so indefinitely.

Only eight theatres are not affected by the strike, but even the shows playing in those theaters are all dark for the Great White Way’s usual Monday off.

The stagehands union, Local One, said Sunday it will not return to the bargaining table until producers show them some respect. Union leaders also turned down Mayor Michael Bloomberg's offer to mediate a settlement.

Those in town to see a show aren't nearly as concerned about the finer points of the contract dispute as they are about their unused tickets.

"We are from Davis, California and we came all the way to see ‘Jersey Boys.’ We got tickets like a month ahead of time. We were so excited and then now we’re heartbroken,” said one tourist.

"We stayed in this area, particularly, because we could walk to Broadway, you know, and see any of the shows we were interested in,” added another. “Some were interested in going to maybe two or three shows. So we’re quite disappointed.”

With the holiday season here the city takes a big financial hit each day the strike goes on.

"The worst damage is to those who work in the theater – the stagehands, the actors, the ushers, the musicians and the people that own the plays, the investors,” said the mayor. “There are people in the neighborhood, restaurants that are going to have less business. I just this morning changed my reservation for dinner tonight – I’m having dinner with some friends – to a restaurant in the Theater District to see if I can help them."

The mayor also said that he wants to remind everyone there are other things to do in the city, but that isn't making tourists feel any better.

“I’m from Boston, and we came to ‘The Lion King.’ And when we went, they gave us a paper and told us it was no longer showing and that it wasn’t going to be showing the entire weekend,” said one disappointed ticket holder. “And we’re pretty upset, because we brought our little cousins to see it and they were really excited to see it. We had great seats, and now we don’t get to see it.”

“We don’t get to come to New York very often, so it would be our luck that the day we choose to come out, there would be a strike,” added another.

“We came over from Dublin, and we’re here till Thursday. And we wanted to go see a show. We wanted to go see either ‘Chicago’ or ‘Grease’ and we realize now we can’t go see anything,” said a third.

The major sticking point has been the issue known in the industry as "featherbedding." Producers accuse the union of forcing them to hire and pay more workers than are really needed – an accusation that has offended Local One's leadership.

"If they require us to be there three hours out of eight hours, are we supposed to get paid for three hours there's a day wages for the efforts that need to be at hand if people are going to just pay you for the three hours you're needed how is anybody going to protect themselves,” said Local One President James Claffey, Jr. “You ask me at the fire house, which we all value down there, if they only get paid to put that fire out, instead of the time they're waiting for the fire."

Producers released a statement that said Local One is, "protecting wasteful, costly and indefensible rules that are embedded like dead weights in contracts so obscure and old that no one truly remembers how, when or why they were introduced."

NY1 spoke with some famous Broadway names at Sunday night's opening of the new off-Broadway show "Peter and Jerry" to get their reactions to the strike.

"Well, I'm all in favor of what the poor stagehands are trying to do,” said playwright Edward Albee. “I think the League is behaving high hat and irresponsibly, but of course, I think that the stagehands union is behaving high hat and irresponsibly too."

"I think that hundreds and hundreds of people [will] suffer from this strike and maybe some plays we won't be able to see if the strike goes on, so I guess what I would like to say most is that I hope that it ends very, very quickly,” said actor Marian Seldes.

As the two sides dig in their heels, the 80s pop group Duran Duran moved its limited engagement from the Ethel Barrymore Theater – which is one of the venues shut down by the strike – to the Roseland Ballroom where stagehands are on the job. Ticket holders who missed Saturday's cancelled Duran Duran show will also be admitted to the Roseland Monday.

There will also be a brief pause in the strike Monday at the Marriott Marquis Theater. Stagehands will take down their pickets and work for free to allow a charity fundraiser to proceed.

No new talks are scheduled between the union and the league of theatres and producers."

My sister and my brother-in-law have tickets for Spring Awakening on Wednesday night. It's her birthday. She's also 7-1/2 months pregnant, so this was supposed to be their last big night out before the baby comes. So they are, to quote one of the songs from the show....totally screwed (and that's not the word they use in the show) :mad:

It's just ridiculous.

Refund Information For Broadway Shows Affected By Stagehand Strike
http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?&aid=75506&search_result=1&stid=14

November 11, 2007

The League of American Theatres and Producers released the following information to help advise theatergoers of show cancellations due to the stagehands' strike.

Telecharge

If you purchased your tickets from Telecharge.com, via phone and Internet, your tickets for cancelled performances, including service fees, will be automatically credited within two business days.

TicketMaster

If you purchased your tickets from TicketMaster, via phone or at Ticketmaster.com, your credit card will automatically be credited with the ticket price and convenience charges, and should post to your account within seven to ten business days. Please note, the $3.10 per order processing fee and any ticketFast or UPS delivery charges are non-refundable.

Box Office

If you purchased your tickets at the theater box office by credit card – Telecharge.com and Ticketmaster – your tickets for cancelled performances will be automatically credited within two to ten business days.

If you purchased your tickets for the following shows at these theatre box offices with cash or by check, you may return to the theatre box office for a refund. If the box office is closed, mail your tickets back for exchange or credit to:

Telecharge.com
411 Hackensack Avenue
Hackensack, New Jersey 07601

Federal Express delivery charges will not be refunded.

August: Osage County
Imperial Theatre (249 West 45th St.)

Avenue Q
Golden Theatre (252 West 45th St.)

A Bronx Tale
Walter Kerr Theatre (219 West 48th St.)

Chicago
Ambassador Theatre (219 West 49th St.)

A Chorus Line
Schoenfeld Theatre (236 West 45th St.)

The Color Purple
Broadway Theatre (1681 Broadway)

Curtains
Al Hirschfeld Theatre (302 West 45th St.)

Dr. Suess' How The Grinch Stole Christmas
St. James Theatre (246 West 44th St.)

Duran Duran
Ethel Barrymore Theatre (243 West 47th St.)

The Farnsworth Invention
Music Box Theatre (239 West 45th St.)

Is He Dead?
Lyceum Theatre (149 West 45th St.)

Jersey Boys
August Wilson Theatre (245 West 52nd St.)

Les Miserables
Broadhurst Theatre (235 West 44th St.)

Mamma Mia!
Winter Garden (1634 Broadway)

Monty Python's Spamalot
Shubert Theatre (225 West 44th St.)

The Phantom Of The Opera
Majestic Theatre (247 West 44th St.)

Rock 'N' Roll
Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre (242 West 45th St.)

The Seafarer
Booth Theatre (222 West 45th St.)

Spring Awakening
Eugene O'Neill Theatre (230 West 49th St.)

If you purchased your tickets for the following shows at these theatre box offices with cash or by check, please return to the theatre box office for a refund. In the event the box office is closed, you may mail your tickets to:

Nederlander Organization
1450 Broadway, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10018

Please remember to retain a copy of your tickets for your records.

Cyrano De Bergerac
Richard Rodgers Theatre (226 West 46th St)

The Drowsy Chaperone
Marquis Theatre (1535 Broadway)

Grease
Brooks Atkinson Theatre (256 West 47th St.)

Hairspray
Neil Simon Theatre (250 West 52th St.)

Legally Blonde
Palace Theatre (1564 Broadway)

The Little Mermaid
Lunt-Fontanne Theatre (205 West 46th St.)

The Lion King
Minskoff Theatre (200 West 45th St.)

Rent
Nederlander Theatre (208 West 41st St.)

Wicked
Gershwin Theatre (222 West 51st St.)

Broadway Ticket Center

If you purchased your tickets at the Broadway Ticket Center at 1560 Broadway, between 46th & 47th Streets, bring your tickets to the Broadway Ticket Center, located in the Times Square Information Center on the east side of Broadway between 46th and 47th Streets for a refund or exchange.

More Information

If you purchased your tickets elsewhere, contact the point of purchase for more information.

For more information about refunds and exchanges, call 212-575-3824.

Theatergoers can also visit www.ILoveNYTheater.com for additional information.

If you had tickets for Sat. Duran Duran show you can use them tomorrow (also tonight, but too late for that) at Roseland. The tickets will be honored or refunded if the venue or date change is not acceptable to you.

If you had tickets for Sat. Duran Duran show you can use them tomorrow (also tonight, but too late for that) at Roseland. The tickets will be honored or refunded if the venue or date change is not acceptable to you.

Roseland's a better venue for that show anyhow. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter