Bro doesn't wanna go

Chrissie-riel

proud member of Mickey Moms Club!
I need some help and ammunition for a sales pitch. My MIL (mother in law) is planning a group outing on DCL. Her youngest son, who is single, 30 & with no kids of his own, doesn't want to go on the cruise basically because it is "Disney". MIL is going to pay for most everything for him (and his girlfriend) to go because having a whole family outing is way important to her.

Personally, I would never turn down a trip to the Caribbean in January no matter what, but he is different - glad I married the oldest son who does enjoy the Pixie Dust of Disney!!

Anyway, I know that there is a lot of adult only space and entertainment on board DCL, but I would appreciate any first hand stories from this board on the topic that I can pass along to him.

Thanks!! Chrissie

Chrissie, our family has had some of the best vacations because my Mother has arranged and paid for us (dh, me, our 3 boys, my db, his dw and dd and, of course, my Mom) to go on cruises and some other places. Cruises, however, are easy since there are 9 of us. She wanted to do this to bring us all together after my Dad passed away 11 years ago. By doing this she has created memories that my children and my niece will never forget!!

I have to say that while we have cruised with our kids, both my dh and I agree that we would cruise on Disney without our kids in a heartbeat. There are plenty of things to do that are adult-related. I would understand if your BIL's hesitance if he were going alone but the fact that his girlfriend would be going would make it all the more fun. I hope your BIL decides to go!!

I'm assuming others in the family outing are children. So, one pitch to him is: "BIL, this is the perfect family vacation! We can all be together, there are fun things we can do with the kids (Plenty of "family" activities during the day to keep the kids happy and the adults entertained), and at night, we'll all have adult fun at the clubs (etc) while the kids are doing their thing in the kids' clubs." Also, there are adults-only day activities (ex: spa, pool, demonstrations, excursions). There is something for everyone!

Good luck!

We are two adults and are going with 2 other couples in December, none of us have any children.

The one thing about Disney Cruise, is that there is so much for the children to do, they do not interact with the adults.

The Nightclub area is for adults only after 9 pm. There is an adults only pool area, no children under 18 allowed. The CM do ask them to leave the pool if they happen to get in there.

There is an adults only restraunt, Palo. No on under 18 admitted.

If you want to go to a group activity, you know you'll see kids there, but if you want adults only, you can plan that too.

There are 3 nighttime clubs, easy listening (piano), nightclub atmosphere and one other.

Also at the Adult only pool there is a bar there. Also there is a coffee shop in this area.

I suggest late dinner seating, since most families request early seating. This also is advantageous when doing shore excursions.

Hope this helps.

6 adults only going on Wonder Cruise on 12/5 - 2nd cruise for the adults only.

:teeth:

DH and I have no kids and are not kid people at ALL. Our very first cruise was 9/9 on the Wonder, and as we were enjoying the pool before the lifeboat drill, we were talking to the only TWO other couples that were in the pool, and neither of them (as a couple) had kids and we all ranged in age from about mid- to late-twenties on up to mid-fifties.

They will definitely not be the only childfree couple on board!

And as for activities - unfortunately most of ours seemed to involve sleeping, at least the day at sea, :rolleyes: , so I can't speak of all that many, but as we snoozed on deck 4 we definitely did not feel surrounded by kids. Nor at dinner, or in the clubs at night, etc, etc.

Everyone is amazed when my husband says we went on a Disney cruise, knowing his attitude about kids, but he reassures them that we hardly knew they were there, but we DID know we were enjoying the Disney Difference!

Hey Chrissie - I'm 28 and went by myself, well my mom was there and my brother does work on the ship... but I had a really great time! I did the western so there were lots of ports to get off at and I just basically vegged and loved it.

My husband and I have gone twice on DCL. We don't have kids and we're in our early 30s. While I love Disney, my husband is so-so about it. Here has been our experience:

1. Plenty to do for adults - special adults-only areas (including a pool) which are pretty strictly enforced; activities such as beer and wine tastings; port destinations that get you away from Disney and family overload. DCL ships do have less adult entertainment than many other lines, but there's enough for people like us.

2. Disney motifs are fairly subtle; the ship is quite classy and well-designed, not too cheesy or overly commercial. During character signings, etc., we simply avoided the common areas.

3. Late seating has fewer children.

4. Cabins are comfortable; I love the split bathroom.

We had such a wonderful, relaxing time but we're lowkey people who don't need constant entertainment. For example, when we were in Nassau, we just enjoyed staying on the ship, eating a late lunch, hanging out at the Cove Cafe, reading books, and playing board games. We visited the spa, attended the ship tours and Art of Entertaining sessions, and relaxed on our private balcony. Diversions was a favorite hangout for their big-screen TVs to watch football and World Series of Poker. For us, this made for a great vacation to get away from our busy, stressful lives. Even DH who is not a big Disney fan had an awesome time.

The reason you sail on Disney is because of the excellent kid programs. (I assume that there are kids somewhere in this family group). The kids can have a blast at the kids programs so that the adults can have some adult time. Emphasize that the kids clubs are open late so that the adults can all go out together.

He probably views DCL as a hellish experience with way too many kids. Turn it around and emphasize that it will allow some time for the whole family group to be together but also plenty of time for the adults to be together while to kids are off on their own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter