British try do a deal for British hostage

Originally posted by kingbilly
Well CRB#33 i don't see any mothers or father running into the streets saying my son or daughter died for the good of the Country do you.

No its the same old story as long as its not my house i'm fine. Whats wrong with being a firefighter or a state-trooper. The CMC joined the part-timers so if its good enough for him.

Right here on this thread there are people who have family members who are proud of their service. Sure, they will be heartbroken if their family member is killed, but they are proud nonetheless.

Problem is you won't hear about that in the press. You only hear about the things that will sell the papers, or get people to watch their particular news station. The people who don't agree. BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT SELLS. And that's also what brings all sorts of junk right out of the woodwork :rolleyes:

As far as the public service, you missed my point. I'm talking about being fearful for my child's safety if they chose that occupation. My brother is a State Trooper in the Criminal Investigation Unit. I'm very proud of him, but very concerned for his safety. But if he is killed in the line of duty, I will heartbroken, but still proud as I can be.

Hey we're proud of all of them ( apart from some who over stepped the mark )

The point your missing is, its easy sitting here saying yeah don't give into their demands and never deal with them. Things aren't that simple we're losing the war we're losing in the muslim world and we need to try something different. And i say good on Britain if they are trying to save a life.

And i say good on Britain if they are trying to save a life.

You're only looking at today's picture. Great! One life is saved! That truly would be wonderful.

But....

Guess what comes next? What's in the mind of the terrorist? "Hey it worked!"

"Now let's go kidnap some more and get more of our murdering buddies out of jail to terrorize some more."

You can't really want that.

Or can you?

And the point you seem to be missing is that dealing with terrorists may save 1 life in the short-term, but it always endangers many more in the long-term.

Hey just maybe if we start talking we might be able to end all of this Just a thought - Because the war is getting no-where.

Do you seriously think that we can talk this all out with people who will not hesitate to behead innocents to make a "political" point?

Hey just maybe if we start talking we might be able to end all of this Just a thought - Because the war is getting no-where.

These terrorists are, for the most part, religious fanatics. You can not talk to them, and you can not reason with them.

Originally posted by Keli
I think that, if indeed, the British are trying to broker a deal that they are setting a very dangerous precedent. These insurgents broke into the house these men were staying in and kidnapped them. If they are successful in getting something they want then they step up their efforts to kidnap more British citizens in order to obtain more and more concessions. Giving in is the wrong thing to do and even though it's hard (and incredibly painful) I am thankful that America is standing strong. If I were the British I would be encouraging the American military to hold off on any planned releases for a while just so that the insurgents don't get the idea that their demands were met. Do not deal with terrorists! It won't work in the long run and you will pay a huge price for your efforts.

Absolutely correct. And, the aims of the terrorists aren't just to remove our troops. . . their aims are much more grand than that.

Alan Dershowitz wrote one of the best books on Terrorism I've read called "Why Terrorism Works". His argument on why countries should NEVER give in to terrorists is well-thought out, logical, and thoughtful (much more so than kbilly's nonsensical reasons asserting we should).

Has anyone tried it ???????

uhhh, yeah. . .way too many times. . .read dershowitz' book I just recommended. Many different countries--especially European--have given in to terrorism demands over the past decades. What did they get for it? An INCREASE in Terrorist groups AND acts.

Do some research. .. you obviously need to.

These people do not want to talk. That's laughable. They live for evil. What on earth makes you think they would "talk." And if they did, what is it they want?

Are you ready to give it to them? I think not.

You know this. Now you're just making noise.

Oh, and did you notice you haven't found one person here to agree that we should negotiate with terrorists?

So if your a coach of a team that keeps on losing, do carry on as if nothing is wrong or do you try something different in the hope that things will change.

Neville Chamberlain tried reasoning with a similar opponent.

So has it failed in Ireland Kendra17

CRB#33 what on earth makes you think they won't talk, they asked for a demand why bother if your just going to kill them in the first place.

I repeat.

Are you ready to give these terroists the things they want?

Forever?

And in the process legitimized hostage taking as a means to achieve political goals, thus endangering the lives of thousands.

What release 2 women - why not, your saving 1 live and could have saved 2 more :(

Are you purposely being dense?

You think that's it? Release two women and they'll skip away happy?

Yeah. You're purposely being dense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter