Brita water bottle...anyone ever gotten a sore throat using one?

FINFAN

Mom to Tinkbell
We tried these in '01..mid way thru the trip DS and I got bad sore throats. I thought it was becasue he accidently put soda in his and it medssed up the filter somehow and we got sore throats from that...DS had put pop in mine thinking it was his, I didn't discover it until I took a BIG swig...but then I read another posters comment about her DS doing the same thing and the pop just tasted watery..so now I am not sure the sore throats we caused by the pop/filter dilemma. I have not used them( Brita) since, as the experience "left a bad taste in my mouth" :rotfl2: :lmao: ( PUN INTENDED) anyway, anyone ever run into a sore throat while using brita bottles?

Pam

Nope...I love mine, but only use it for water.
Just used it a lot on my recent trip to Las Vegas.
So sorry to hear they have discontinued them :(

Nope. And I use one ALL the time (one is sitting by my screen as I type this!).

There are lots and lots of germs flying around WDW. You probably picked up something that way.

Hi! I think I am the poster you speak of with the DS who put soda in the Brita! :wave2:

We've never had any problems getting sore throats from the Brita (even when DS had the watery soda ;) ), so maybe tkd lisa is correct and you both just happened to pick up something at the same time.

Try it again with a new filter -- oh, by the way, if you need more filters, some CVS's are selling them again.

Thanks, yes, Mom2DS...it was you guys! Glad no sore throat occured! I will try CVS for filters...and try it again at home...it's just that it burned when I took that gulp, so I associated it with the filter/charcoal. Does CVS carry the actual Brita filters or a knock-off brand? Do you remember the cost?

Thanks,

Pam

I just checked my local CVS and I was surprised to find the bottles and filters there. They were $8.49 for a bottle and $8.49 for 2 filters.

I was going to buy them the four of us for our trip but I figured I could buy a lot of water for that much. We are lucky that we have great Pennsylvania water to drink when we are home!

:tink:

We took our Brita bottle to WDW in October, but by about Day 2 I decided it was too much trouble to carry it around! I did come down with a wicked sore throat later in the week, and because we had been sharing drinks DS caught it, too. But I don't think it had anything to do with the Brita bottle because we didn't use the bottle that much, and DH felt fine.

Our CVS stores do carry the Brita brand bottles and filters. $7.99 for one bottle or a 2 pack of filters. I have purchased 2 more bottles so we will each have our own in August. It will still be a pain to carry them, but in the heat I think we will be happy to deal with it! Hopefully we will manage to stay healthy this time around. I am definitely going to have a very strict "NO SHARING" rule for drinks.

Oh - I just had a thought when you said it burned your throat when you took a drink. Did you squeeze a couple of bottles of water through the filter before you drank out of it? It needs to purge the excess charcoal dust at first. Just a thought...

some of the water filter bottles, including the brita bottle, is only a charcoal filter. it will not filter out any bacteria from the water. so you could have gotten a soar throat from something that came from the water.

there is only one bottle that will ALSO filter out bacteria, e.coli, and things like that. www.purewater2go.com

click on the "Biological" section under products. you can actually use the bottle from lake or stream water. or drink the water in mexico.

... so you could have gotten a sore throat from something that came from the water

That's highly unlikely if she was drinking from the Osceola or Orange co. municipal water supply. The water is perfectly potable; it is just that the mineral content might not be what your body is used to.

If the Brita filter was not properly flushed before use you would get charcoal dust in your throat, and that *would* taste wierd and might irritate your throat. You need to forceably express out at least 4 bottles' worth of water through the filter before you try to drink the water.

For future reference, if you are going to use the Brita bottle for anything other than water, REMOVE THE FILTER first. Sugary drinks, especially, will leave residue in the filter and cause it to not work properly anymore, and the sugar residue might encourage nasty things to grow if the filter was not properly flushed afterward with very hot water (not boiling, of course).

the purewater2go directions said not to put hot water through the filter. they also say not to freeze it.

Meriweather said:
Nope...I love mine, but only use it for water.
Just used it a lot on my recent trip to Las Vegas.
So sorry to hear they have discontinued them :(

you can still get the bottles at www.************.com

tonight is the last night of their free bottle offer, so hurry if you are going to get some.

:thumbsup2 we found our bottles at K-mart they were marking them down...3.00 for the bottles and refill pack for 3.00 too! dh doesn't want to take them but I said you'll be sorry! :yay:

It is my current opinion that if you catch a germ in your throat, carbonated drinks of any kind will exacerbate it.

Just that my experience has been that when I did drink soda after getting a catch in my throat, it ended up being "sorer" longer.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

i tried a brita pitcher and it gave me a sore throat and worse. So I returned that, waited a few months and then got a Pur pitcher. Wouldn't you know the same thing happened with the Pur pitcher? And that was after making 22 pitchers (about 6 gallons).

i tried a brita pitcher and it gave me a sore throat and worse. So I returned that, waited a few months and then got a Pur pitcher. Wouldn't you know the same thing happened with the Pur pitcher? And that was after making 22 pitchers (about 6 gallons).

How in the world did you find a seven year old thread to post your first post on?:rotfl: I can't even find a post I posted on a month ago.:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter