Bringing your own Snorkeling Gear to Castaway Cay

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by sejejoemmiev, Aug 21, 2006.

1. sejejoemmiev

sejejoemmiev Mouseketeer

I was planning on buying my kids their own snorkeling gear for Christmas to use at Castaway Cay. We are cruising the Western 2/24/07. I have read on a few threads that disney does not allow you to snorkel in their snorkeling area with your own gear. Is this really true? Thanks in advance!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. musicgirl

musicgirl <font color=coral>Pooh lover<br><font color=teal>M

You are allowed to bring your own. We've done this 4 times. They do make you have a vest, but you can borrow theirs.

4. Pooh's Purple Pal

Pooh's Purple Pal <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ

We always bring our own, you just have to use one of their bright yellow vests so they can keep track of you. :thumbsup2

5. skibum

skibum DIS Veteran

We also bring our own. You can purchase for about what they charge to rent (at least for the kids), you know how they have been cleaned, and you know that the mask works for you.
    Should be a great gift. Try to find a pool for them to use their new gear before the cruise, so they know how to breathe with the snorkel.

6. sejejoemmiev

sejejoemmiev Mouseketeer

Where do you get the yellow vest? At the snorkeling rental area? Is there a charge for use of the vest only? Thanks!

7. scootermom32

scootermom32 Mouseketeer

I'm not 100% sure where to get the vest, but you can borrow it for free.

8. thegales

thegales Mouseketeer<br><font color="purple">Says he is hap

Yes, get vest at Snorkeling area, at the place where they rent all the other equipment. No charge for the vest.

9. nextcruz

nextcruz Mouseketeer

Vests are free since DCL requires a vest for everyone in the snorkle lagoon. If you choose to snorkle in the regular swimming area, though, one is not required. My kids have taken their own gear to CC twice, and they love it!

You can get the vests at the snorkel pick up area "Gil's Fins". If you "get caught" in the snorkle lagoon without a vest, the lifeguard at the 1st station has a supply at his stand, too. We saw that happen repeatedly throughout the day. :dance3:

10. unixadm

unixadm DIS Veteran

I have high end snorkeling equipment that I purchased for scuba diving that I will be bringing.

My wife didn't have anything and I ended up getting her this at Amazon:

[​IMG]

It includes a nice carry bag for the equipment, the Dry Snorkel so water doesn't go in and split fins. She hasn't used them yet....we will be trying them out at our pool.

I had a $10 certificate and Amazon Prime so I got it for $35 and free shipping.

We have 2 days at Castaway Cay, so it would have cost $50 to rent. This was a much better option.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...6010/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-7149450-0934534?ie=UTF8