• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

bringing your own lysol on board/is this really necessary?

crissyp

Mouseketeer
just WONDERing if this is really necessary...Read this on one of the "things to pack" list to bring lysol and spray down your cabin upon arrival. I guess it's not really a bad idea, but will I be able to pack this in my carry on or checked luggage???? It's getting closer, and my brain is on "overload"!:Pinkbounc

6 cruises and that is one thing I have not brought...
but if I did feel I needed it I would just
ASK Stateroom Person for some..... I would say it is up to u .....................

I just cruised last month with a friend who had Diarreah (sp) for 5 days of our 7 day trip...YES I would bring it....I would have felt much beter knowing I could spray the bathroom when she was done. As it was I did not get it, but I considered swiping the lysol can from the climbing wall that I saw up there. They use it to sanitize the helmets and shoes. Royal Carribean has walls to climb.....not Disney. I am sure my stateroom attendants did a great job of cleaning, but the idea of using a bathroom after someone has been welll...sick...gives me the willies. Call me neurotic, but I did NOT catch it from her. Melissa

crissyp,

I just got back from the 2/19-2/22 Wonder. I did bring Lysol & I am glad I did. I used it to spray the necks of the life vests in the stateroom. You have to go to a life boat drill - wearing the life vests - just before the cruise leaves port. The life vests are only used for the drills (at least so far - fingers crossed!), but obviously lots of people have worn the vests. Waiting on deck for our drill, we were in the direct sun & we were sweating. The lifevests (ours anyway) were soiled around the neck & stinky. I guess others before us had sweated during the drill, too. So, to make a long story short, bring Lysol. You can use it to spray the lifevests, or to spray the toilet or door knobs if lots of people are sick on board, or just to "freshen up" the air in the toilet area if someone stinks it up. We got a small can of Lysol at our local Mobil on the Run (grocery store at gas station). That was the only place I could find a small lysol. They're giant cans everywhere else!

Have a great cruise!

With all the viruses that can "attack" a cruise ship, I think the cruise lines should supply a can of Lysol (or something similar) in every stateroom, just the way they provide a box of kleenex. This could be one more way of the cruise line or CDC trying to prevent illness from spreading....can't hurt! In the same way that they post flyers on handwashing, etc.

With all the viruses that can "attack" a cruise ship, I think the cruise lines should supply a can of Lysol (or something similar) in every stateroom, just the way they provide a box of kleenex.

I agree! I would guess that if enough of us started putting that on our comment cards, then Disney would respond. Just from an odor perspective it would be nice!

I always bring my own Lysol and use it often around the cabin. I feel better having brought it.

Hi!

I've never thought of myself as a germaphobe, but I brought something a bit "stronger" than Lysol. It is a product called "Virofree". It is supposed to kill both viruses and bacteria. Now, it looked like water and didn't have any odor so I could have been taken in completely! It is made by a company called Biocide and you can get it from their web site directly (can't remember the URL) or through other catalaouges (Magellans, First Steps, Baby Catalog). I sprayed it all over the room on anything we would be touching with our hands before I let anyone touch anything. I didn't think to spray the life jackets! I used it a couple of times during the week on our door latches and faucets as well. In reality, frequent hand washing and keeping your hands off the hand rails and elevator buttons would probably go a lot further.

Normally I just rely on hand washing and some travel size anti-bacterial hand gel. I guess I don't want to end up on a cruise with the flu if I can help it. I've never taken these measures in a hotel which is funny. You could just as easily pick something up there as well!

Juli

One other thing you might want to think about, you can buy lysol in wet wipes. that may be easier to bring in your carry on or lugage. I bring that with me on vacations. just a thought
tina

Originally posted by HLFDZN
I just cruised last month with a friend who had Diarreah (sp) for 5 days of our 7 day trip...YES I would bring it....I would have felt much beter knowing I could spray the bathroom when she was done.

1092.gif
....................::yes::

Yuck. I'm not sure what DCL uses so I'm sure some people will tell me I'm crazy but ....don't use Lysol. It actually has pesticides in it from what I've read. And you'd be spraying it in your little room and then breathing it for the next week. There are other alternatives that work better and are much healthier. Read the back of the can sometime. I don't think we pay close enough attention to warnings on chemicals as we should. Sorry---just my two cents.

DS came down with a stomach virus on our trip to WDW 2 weeks ago. We were stuck for a day and a half in a hotel room with a perpetually vomiting 3 year old and a 1 year old who was going out of her mind from the confinement. After that, he was still pretty out of it for a whole week. We ended up cutting our trip short. DH kept saying how horrible it would be to have this happen on a cruise. We've never done it before, but from now on, I will definitely bring the Lysol (wipes and spray).

BTW, DS and DD both came down with horrible colds after our 3 day cruise last summer.

I never would have thought to spray the life vests, either. That's a great tip. Certainly, you can't avoid germs completely, but you can improve your odds. Another thing I will always bring on vacation from now on (and use religiously) is hand sanitizer.

Now I'm sure that I will be bring it along....but will I be able to pack it in my carry on, or should I pack it in my checked luggage.
I guess I can call the airline (JetBlue) but I would think you guys probably already have the answer!;)

I will be bringing Lysol on my cruise also!

Tip: I put anything that could possibly spill or leak liquid in heavy (freezer) Ziploc bags, just in case.

I always bring Lysol on vacation. We usually drive to our destination and don't always know where we will be stopping. We even use it at the deluxe resorts. At the very least, I feel like I've tried my best to keep us healthy. And I always pack it in my toiletry bag. Have a great trip!

Bring the Lysol,
I learned after cruise number 3 to bring it along. We all came down with "THE VIRUS" on cruise number 3. DD got it during the cruise, near the end thank goodness. DH came down with on the last day and I got it the day after we got home. Since then we've learned to stay away from Mickey's pool which is just loaded with nasty bacteria. Wash our hands often, and to be careful about putting our hands on our face.
I also bring along bath and tub cleaner and I clean the bathrooms before we use them and every night before we use them. After all do you think that the stateroom host changes their cleaning rags after cleaning a room, no, they carry them from room to room along with your neighbors germs. I know this all might sound a little crazy to some of you but we've stayed well, not even a cold on the past 3 cruises.

After all do you think that the stateroom host changes their cleaning rags after cleaning a room, no, they carry them from room to room along with your neighbors germs.

I can't speak for how things are done at DCL, but I used to work for a housecleaning service, and not only did we use fresh cleaning rags for each house, but also we went through many fresh rags in each room of each house. It simply isn't efficient to try to clean with dirty rags.

I'd still bring the Lysol, though.:teeth:

I'll take my chances.....I refuse to clean a tub/bathroom on vacation!!! If it looked funky I would call housekeeping to have them do it over...but I am not going to clean the bathroom...do enough of that at home.

We have cruised DCL 10 times and other cruise lines as well and as long as you are very adamant about washing hands and using common sense you should be fine.

If we ever stopped to think about how many germs there could be in any given situation we would all be freaking ourselves out. Call me naieve (sp) but there are some things I do not want to know about.

MJ

My family considers me a bit of a clean freak, but I most definitely won't be taking Lysol with me on the cruise. If someone did get symptoms of something contagious I might consider asking our room attendant for extra attention to cleaning and for some antibacterial cleaner, but I think that paying attention to what you are touching and frequent handwashing are all you can do without making yourself crazy.

If you think about every thing that you touch on the cruise which someone else has touched you will get the willies. Instead of trying to douse your surroundings in Lysol just take care and use that soap and water!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter