Bringing Peanut Butter to Disney and Flying

Just please don't drop any peanut butter crumbs on my son. You could kill him.

I was responding more anyone who travels with peanut butter crackers in their carry on/purse/pocket. With airlines not providing meals anymore, more of us bring something to eat onboard.

IMO your "Good grief" was unnecessary. I wasn't kicking up a fuss.

Yes, you were (kicking up a fuss, that is). You wrote what would be considered by most people to be an inflammatory statement.

You could have written something much nicer and calmer, noting (for those who might not be aware), that there are times when people are on your plane with peanut allergies, and peanut butter in the cabin can be dangerous. In other words, attempting to educate and inform. The statements you make are the reason other people respond with answers such as "drive instead" (and so on)

I almost always fly with peanut butter crackers (for my kids). I have never been told it was a peanut free flight. If am told told that (sometime in the future), of course I wouldn't open the package. But why should I not fly with something, on the off chance there might be an announcement.

Julia

We flew a large jar in a ziploc in our checked to Hawaii and no problem.
DH has been on a flight when it was announced "Someone has a peanut allergy on this flight so there will be NO snacks served".

In reply to the OP:

I found an official answer from TSA on being allowed to bring it:

"Canned or jarred goods such as soup, sauces, peanut butter, fruits, vegetables and jellies Carry On: Yes - 3 oz. or smaller container Checked:Yes"

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#10

Thanks for the link-it's very helpful. I wasn't going to bring pb but now I think I will-in my checked bag, in a ziploc bag. :goodvibes (and maybe even a jar of our homemade plum jelly. :banana:

We flew to and from WDW last week and I was wondering the same type of thing regarding airborn peanut allergies. I packed several PBJ sandwiches for us to enjoy on the plane not realizing. It did "dawn on me " while in the airport that PBJ might not be a good thing on the plane. I was ready to ditch the sandwiches in the airport but first asked at the airline desk . They said it would be fine , as they serve peanuts as a snack on the plane! I was surprised they still do this??? ( Southwest)

On another note, I did also pack a new jar of peanutbutter in our checked luggage . ( In a ziplock)

We flew to and from WDW last week and I was wondering the same type of thing regarding airborn peanut allergies. I packed several PBJ sandwiches for us to enjoy on the plane not realizing. It did "dawn on me " while in the airport that PBJ might not be a good thing on the plane. I was ready to ditch the sandwiches in the airport but first asked at the airline desk . They said it would be fine , as they serve peanuts as a snack on the plane! I was surprised they still do this??? ( Southwest)

On another note, I did also pack a new jar of peanutbutter in our checked luggage . ( In a ziplock)

We are flying out SW, first time flying with our DD who has the peanut allergy. I called SW to request a Peanut Free flight and was informed they would hand out pretzels instead of the peanuts and make an announcement. I was fine with that, and I'll make sure they make an announcement.

So I guess what I am saying is I hope people that do want to eat snacks with some kind of peanut butter would respect the announcement made. My guess is most people will.

So if you want to bring something with peanut butter and there is no announcement made by all means feel free to snack away! But if there is an announcement made please be respectful and be prepared to "ditch" your snacks.

I just wanted to add, we are flying into MCO on SW but flying home Airtran. I called airtran and requested a peanut flight also, I was told that there were not peanuts served on the plane so it shouldn't be a problem. So I asked if it would be possible to note on our reservation to be a peanut free flight.

Get this, he told me it's a short flight so most people won't bring snacks (obviously hasn't flown with children :rotfl2: ) but I could request an announcement to be made if it made me feel better.

I just kind of laughed and told myself, yep, I'll be requesting an announcement.

The only reason I always have peanut butter crackers with me is Dr. said it was great protein and a great healthy snack. DD at times feels faint and the crackers always seem to help.Obviously if there was an announcement about a person having an allergy on the plane she would not eat the crackers.

I think I'll be taking a hard look at our gardengrocer.com order and ditching everything that's not a perishable or really squishy item. I'm not packing bread, for instance!

We do bring snacks for the plane, in a variety of forms. We've had planes canceled, delayed (but don't leave the gate area!), sat waiting to push away from the terminal, sat waiting to get to the gate, circled due to bad weather and had to wait (in the Southwest line) while they found the crew members who had been delayed themselves.

I'm a 4-H leader and I've learned to ask all the kids "Do you have an allergy that will cause you harm?" because some kids say "I have an allergy to N" and mean "I can't stand that stuff!" We have two peanut allergies in our group but they're at the level of "I can't touch it but if you have it, I'm fine."

NHWX

You can get a six-pack of small tubs of jif peanut butter now--Jif-to-go. They're in little containers like single-serving applesauce and such. They are perfect for keeping under the 3oz size required by TSA for carry-on luggage. They don't have lids, though, so once opened you'd have to discard or wrap in something.

To answer the OP's specific concern (and despite at least one person already posting both the TSA link and their policy on peanut butter :))...

The TSA may open your/our/any piece of luggage, either in random inspection or because something looks suspicious or they can't tell what it is. But they wouldn't remove that item from your luggage.

As for Garden Grocer: as a grocery delivery service, they would not offer their own 'store brand' of any item. I'm thinking they do all their shopping at a particular chain, which is why they can post prices/brands/sizes - but any store brand item would be from THAT chain, not from (i.e. labeled) Garden Grocer.

Now, Goodings is a different story. As a supermarket chain that also offers a grocery delivery service (think Stop & Shop and PeaPod), any store brand item they would offer for delivery would, yes, be Goodings store brand - or whatever label they use.

We are flying out SW, first time flying with our DD who has the peanut allergy. I called SW to request a Peanut Free flight and was informed they would hand out pretzels instead of the peanuts and make an announcement. I was fine with that, and I'll make sure they make an announcement.

So I guess what I am saying is I hope people that do want to eat snacks with some kind of peanut butter would respect the announcement made. My guess is most people will.

So if you want to bring something with peanut butter and there is no announcement made by all means feel free to snack away! But if there is an announcement made please be respectful and be prepared to "ditch" your snacks.

You know you can also board the plane before anyone else and pick what you consider to be a peanut free seat. My friends, who have two children with life threatening peanut allergies fly SW. They go to the desk before boarding and let the airline know. They are then allowed to board before anyone else. They look at all the seats and the surrounding floor for any peanut discards then chose their seats. If there is an announcement you don't have to toss the snacks. You just shouldn't bring them out and eat them.

But when a person with a severe food allergy flies, he/she can request a "nut free flight," and the airline will usually accomodate them by serving an alternative snack. The other passengers on the plane probably wouldn't know that they are on a "nut free flight," or the reason why.

I would like to request a nut free flight but it would have nothing to do with allergies. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Re: Peanut Butter. We went down in May and also in July and I brought Peanut Butter and Rice Cakes both times. I packed them in our suitcase and did not carry them on. Had no problems at all. Both times I brought a new jar which was sealed. I also brought a bottle of coffee syrup and no problem. Going again Oct. and going to do the same.

Yes, you were (kicking up a fuss, that is). You wrote what would be considered by most people to be an inflammatory statement.

I guess this is one of those cases where the written word didn't convey my meaning. I didn't intend to kick up a fuss and was calm. It was just the literal, plain truth.

I get peanuts on Continental flights all the time. Provided by the airline.

:confused3

We received peanuts on a Southwest flgiht just last weekend which really surprised me due to the number of nut allergies that I've read about. Apparently, airlines are not afraid to hand out peanuts on their flights. Guess the recirculation of air is not a concern to them.

I guess this is one of those cases where the written word didn't convey my meaning. I didn't intend to kick up a fuss and was calm. It was just the literal, plain truth.
But not applicable to the specific questions asked, unless the peanut-allergic person was going to be crawling around inside the luggage of a passenger transporting peanut butter in their checked luggage.

In response to some other things mentioned in this thread: no airline is going to ban peanut products if there is no accompanying request, i.e. if there is no allergic passenger on the plane. Also, some airlines will create a peanut-free buffer zone around the passenger (2-3 rows in each direction on both sides of the plane) but will not ban peanut products outright.

While there are varying degrees of peanut/tree nut allergies, and some CAN be life-threatening, the actual prevalence of these allergies (to all degrees) in the population as a whole is less than 2%. It seems like there are a lot of peanut-allergic people because those relatively few who are in danger are, well, in danger.

Many, many, many more persons are allergic to non-food items than to any type of food item. In fact, more than twice as many food-allergic persons are allergic to seafood than to peanut/tree nut products.

This is NOT to negate the seriousness of any allergy that could cause anaphylaxis.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter