• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bringing Peanut Butter to Disney and Flying

NHWX

DIS Veteran
OK, so I can't bring in my carry-on anymore. I've heard that if we pack it in our checked luggage, the TSA will pull it because they won't be able to tell what the thick material is.

Anyone else flown and brought their own peanut butter? I did buy a test jar of Smart Balance today, just in case we end up ordering that from gardengrocer.

Anyone tried gardengrocer's store brand natural peanut butter? We try to stay away from partially hydrogenated vegetable oil so Skippy, etc. is not a choice.

Thanks!

NHWX

We took an unopened jar of store-brand peanut butter in our checked luggage in August and had no problems. I even brought the partially used jar home again.

Jen

I was figuring with all the bags piled on top of each other the peanut butter jar would split and we'd have it everywhere!

NHWX

Why not pack a small box of snacks you like, add in your favorite jar of PB, and then mail it to yourself at your hotel? You can also add in extra first aid things.

I haven't ever packed peanut butter, but I put LOTS of groceries in my checked baggage. I bring American products that I can't get here...salad dressing, bar-b-que sauce, dog treats, etc. I've never had anything removed and never had anything break open... oh! Yes I did... a 4lb bag of guinea pig food!!!! Since then I double wrap everything in plastic bags and haven't had any other problems. You shouldn't have any trouble!

I was figuring with all the bags piled on top of each other the peanut butter jar would split and we'd have it everywhere!

NHWX

it would be wise to put it in a zip loc and pack shoes around it so it's supported.

When packing food items I put them in shoe boxes in my luggage. It really helps. I actually bring bananas this way!

People travel here and bring lots of peanut butter in their checked backage. We had friends who just traveled into Jordan who brought 20 or more jars of peanut butter without any trouble. They flew out of Ohio. I don't think you'll have any trouble, especially if it's in a sealed container.:thumbsup2

We always travel with peanut butter. I just keep a jar in my carry on and peanut butter crackers in my purse. Best thing to have when you need a pick me up.

Just please don't drop any peanut butter crumbs on my son. You could kill him.

Ummm ditto for those thinking of carry on. PLEASE don't open a jar of peanut butter on the plane. The air is re-circulated and it could KILL people who have severe peanut allergies...thus the reason my 9 year old has never flown.

Just please don't drop any peanut butter crumbs on my son. You could kill him.

Good grief. She asked if she could bring it in luggage. Unless your son is roaming around the luggage in the plane opening suitcases I highly doubt there will be a problem.

I get peanuts on Continental flights all the time. Provided by the airline.

:confused3

But when a person with a severe food allergy flies, he/she can request a "nut free flight," and the airline will usually accomodate them by serving an alternative snack. The other passengers on the plane probably wouldn't know that they are on a "nut free flight," or the reason why.

Food allergies are such a hard thing to deal with. We don't want to infringe on other people's freedom to eat what and where they want, but we do have to keep our children (or ourselves) healthy and safe.

I always bring a jar of natural peanut butter with me when I travel. I put it in a ziplock bag, and then in another plastic bag with other snacks, packed in my checked luggage, and it's always been fine. I did this most recently on my February WDW trip.

Teresa

That's neat about a "nut free flight". I didn't know that. My godson has a severe peanut allergy, I'll have to tell his mom about that option.

I would assume that if they (the airline) go through all the "trouble" of not bringing nuts on a flight that it'd be really easy (even mandatory) that they inform the passengers not to open their own snacks if they contain nuts.

If they don't, maybe they should!

Good grief. She asked if she could bring it in luggage. Unless your son is roaming around the luggage in the plane opening suitcases I highly doubt there will be a problem.

I think they were talking about the people bringing it on as a carry on for a quick snack on the plane. As a parent of a child with a peanut allergy, some people get irritated and think we are being obsessive about it but we have to be.

All parents keep medicines and other chemicals away from our children so our kids don't get "poisoned" by them. For parents with children that have peanut allergies, peanuts are the poison we have to keep away from them.

Ok with all that being said, some people just don't think about it. They don't have peanut allergies so it is not even in their frame of reference. It's not because they don't care, it's because it's not part of their thought process. I know before our youngest was born, she's the one with the allergy, I wouldn't have even thought twice about bringing a pb&j sandwich on a plane.

So here we are, parents of a child with peanut allergies who seem obsessive about the issue, just trying to educate others about the dangers of bringing peanuts onto planes. Just like your childs doctor will tell you to child proof your house because of the dangers, we are just saying it is dangerous for our kids.

Ok so now for those who will respond well then just drive. To those I will respond years ago it was ok to smoke on the plane, now it's not. Yeah, I know second smoke is dangerous for all, but peanut butter allergies are increasing and more and more kids are allergic to it.

Off my soap box now

OP sorry this turned into a "peanut" thing. I think it's perfectly fine to bring it in checked luggage or even in your carry on as long as you don't plan on opening it.:goodvibes

OP sorry this turned into a "peanut" thing. I think it's perfectly fine to bring it in checked luggage or even in your carry on as long as you don't plan on opening it.:goodvibes

I've had peanut butter taken away from us by security in a carry on bag. We now put it in a checked bag, in double baggies, and have not had a problem.

I was responding more anyone who travels with peanut butter crackers in their carry on/purse/pocket. With airlines not providing meals anymore, more of us bring something to eat onboard.

IMO your "Good grief" was unnecessary. I wasn't kicking up a fuss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter