bringing our own food

hkkatie

Mouseketeer
This may be a silly question, but does Florida allow you to bring produce in from other states? Like if we want to bring a suitcase full of food to save money, could we bring a bag of apples and a bag of oranges, or is that an issue? We'd be flying in from another state. Yes, I know we can have groceries delivered, but dh likes to save money every way he can. Bringing in some of our own food would help with that... Thanks.

(As a kid, my family would take long road trips. I remember getting to some point in California where they wouldn't allow us to bring produce, so we always pulled over and rushed to eat all the fruit we had in the van... That's why I ask.)

We've never had a problem with bringing any type of food packed in a suitcase on a domestic flight. We've certainly packed veggies & fruits in the past.

I can't see it being a problem (except traveling International) but I imagine those oranges/apples will suffer from the abuse of baggage handling, plus maybe dirty clothes/items during travel. If you are bringing a suitcase of food then you'd have to figure in baggage costs $25 or more so each way. I'm all for bringing your own food...do it all the time. I even own a backpack style cooler! But I might stick to dry goods for the flight and pick up fresh produce on a quick grocery run or delivery (the added cost of delivery will still be cheaper than buying food at Disney or other parks)

You probably are better off carrying produce as carry-on in a backpack or sidebag cooler (whatever you already have). I wouldn't put it in checked bags b/c it would likely get too bruised (even the hearty ones)...

Think of how people transport their families' lunches on board and go from there:)...I always buy groceries in Orlando, but I've brought a bag with 4 PBJs or bagels with cream cheese, 1 big bag of M&Ms, 6 pieces of fruit (1 per person), and 6 single serve salty snacks...that way, I just buy an airport sandwich for hubby and I to split with the rest of the stuff and we avoid buying lunch for 6 in an airport and/or food meltdowns from hungry kids...this kinda carry on is GREAT if flights get delayed...

I've actually shipped a box to the Poly filled with Bananas, Apples, Oranges, pears and hummus. I made sure the bananas were really green. I shipped a week in advance, and all arrived perfect. I wrapped in bubble wrap.

I've also packed fruit in my suitcase and had no issues (domestic flight).

I cook most of our meals at Disney and fly with one to suitcases full of groceries (thank you Southwest for no baggage fees). That being said while I will pack bagels in my suitcase I would pack fruit in one. I would carry them on or as others have said, do a quick grocery run when you get there for your perishables. I always rent a car for a day or two when I get there to go to Walmart and any other grocery stores I need to. It's usually around $50 which is less than a taxi there. You could also try Uber as I hear they are pretty cheap.

When I've packed fruit in the past I just put it in a tupperware container inside my luggage so it didn't get damaged during the flight. It all made it through fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter