• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bringing Mom to WDW for MY bday, Sept '09! Day 4 Part 1..AK and Tusker House 12/30!

Hi! Thanks for all the good info and great pics! WE are doing Ohanna's this trip - Did Kona's last time and might do breakfast there - but not dinner anytime soon!

We really enjoyed breakfast! Hope you like it too!

wow - what a horrible experience at Kona - i can't believe you still tipped her. i know it was your birthday but i would have asked to speak to the manager - i'm totally understanding when a restaurant is busy but that was totally uncalled for and down right rude.

i would not have tipped for such poor service.

what a shame it was on your birthday too :(

ugh..I know. The more I think about it, the more upset I get with myself for NOT saying something at the time. :(

No worries take your time

New installment hopefully going up by 5pm today!!! :)

ahhhh i'm just in time for the new installment

Hey everyone! I'm back from my mini hiatus! Hope I didn't lose all of you along the way.

So I can proudly say that we put the worst of trip behind us. Everything from here on out went fairly well.

We woke up bright and early Monday morning and realized we never bought a banana so my mom can take her medication in the morning. Half asleep and still in my PJ's, I wasn't sure what time Sassagoula opened. I think the first time I stumbled out there it was about 5:45am. Closed. Figures! Headed back over there at 6am and by 6:03, I had purchased a banana using a snack credit. I know it's only 99 cents or something but we ended up with so many snack credits by the end of the trip!

Breakfast today was at the Wave, which I was really looking forward to.

Tweet Update, 7:37 AM Sep 28th: Heading to breakfast at the wave...then off to epcot!

Mom and I got ready and headed to the bus stop for the MK. When we got there we heard a family ask the bus driver about going to Chef Mickey's. He said he'd see what he can do about dropping them directly off at the Contemporary...sweet! Sure enough, after dropping a few people off at MK, we got door to door service right to the Contemp. This day was already looking up!

Tweet Update, 8:34 AM Sep 28th: Bus driver was awesome and took a few families right to the contemporary instead of having us take the monorail from mk

The new updates to the Contemporary are BEAUTIFUL! I can't wait to get a chance to stay here one day. It's just what I thought it should look like. Dark wood, modern, etc.

We headed over to the Wave and found it was pretty empty! Maybe 10-15 tables were seated. We were shown to our seats right away and Lisa was our server. Just what we needed after our Kona fiasco! Lisa went above and beyond a few times and I couldn't thank her enough. I was in desperate need of some good coffee and the Wave didn't disappoint. Mom ordered at tea as her drink.

When Lisa found out it was my birthday, she brought out a cinnamon danish with the drinks. It was delicious but too sweet for me so early in the morning! We only had a few bites.

For my meal I had the American - two eggs (over medium for me!) with breakfast potatoes and choice of bacon, pork sausage or chicken sausage $11.99. I chose the chicken sausage since I've never actually had it out before.

The eggs were cooked perfectly. I HATE when any part of the white is runny. But I LOVE runny egg yolks. The potatoes were very good as well, perfectly seasoned. The chicken sausage I wasn't too thrilled with, but it wasn't bad. Just not my favorite. If it was more well done I might have liked it better. I'd rather some really good bacon!

Mom chose the BYO Omelette - $11.49. I don't see it on any menu but it's on the receipt! I don't even think it was on the menu that they gave us. Mom saw the feta cheese scrambled eggs but hates scrambled eggs. They gladly made her a feta and tomato omelette, with potatoes.

Mom loved it. Perfectly cooked, and enough feta. Some places jip you on the cheese!

We both forgot that we didn't really want the biscuits, although they were good. I just like dipping real toast into the egg yolks, and mom just likes toast better. So we asked if we can get a side of rye toast and Lisa gladly brought some over free of charge.

We quickly ate our breakfast and asked for the bill. When Lisa came to bring it over, she also gave me a signed birthday card from the whole staff at the Wave. SO cute!

The breakdown:
BYO Omelette: $11.49
Tea: $2.19
American w/Chk Saus: $11.99
Organic Columbian Coffee: $2.19
Total before tip: $29.68
DDP credits used: 2
OOP: tip

Would we eat there again? DEFINITELY! I loved it and it was nice and relaxing. We actually had breakfast there again on our last day. The service was amazing, the decor was beautiful...couldn't ask for much more.

On our way out we stopped in the bar area and I was in heaven. It was a beautiful bar with TV's to watch sports, etc. On the sides was a little lounge area with couches, etc. Perfect place to go without the kids after a long day in the parks! Sadly I didn't take any photos though :(

We made our way upstairs to the monorail and walked right on to head to the TTC and then switched to get to Epcot. After getting into the park, we took a few photos with Photopass and took in everything.

We decided to start our day by going counterclockwise starting with the Character Spot. A quick check for the wait and noticed it was only 20 mins but the line seemed a little less than that. We decided to suck it up and got on line.

I know some people don't like the character spot but it's a great way to knock out the Fab 5 quickly and painlessly.

3987033966_3d765b3291.jpg

After meeting all our faves, we headed out towards Nemo. I know some people don't like the ride but I think it's adorable!! It's also a great ride to test out your dark ride photo skills. Not impossible to take photos, but not the easiest either.

3986276033_3e96b45080.jpg

We then spent some time admiring all our swimming friends. Don't think I got any decent photos though...I can also sit and watch the manatee's all day. They're so cute and graceful even though they're HUGE!

We decided to skip the Land Pavillion and kept on going. Mom wouldn't go on Soarin' and the only other thing we liked is Living with the Land. Since that wasn't running, we saved some time and went right to Journey Into Imagination to get my Figment fix. I really think that was the last time I willingly ride this ride. It sucks. I'm sorry!! Totally miss Dreamfinder!! I will go on it though in January just to show my newbie friend Figment. Mom was NOT a fan either. She said 'never again!' after the skunk smell!

We browsed around in the store for a bit because I needed to start using my Birthday Gift Card and wanted some Figment memorabilia, and I found some! Found the cutest little Figment plush magnet thing. He's about 4 inches tall and has magnets on his hands and feet. He's now clinging on for dear life on my cabinet at work. Let me tell you...so many people have walked by and gone 'OMG! Figment!'. Here...I'll take a pic with my blackberry and post it on here lol

4090924896_ee3d720489.jpg

After my little purchase, we continued on our way.

It was 11:15am by then and I wanted to see the Voices of Liberty before we had to go to lunch. We walked into the World Showcase and saw some of the food booths for Food and Wine. Could not WAIT to try them! Unfortunately I didn't try nearly as many as I wanted though. We walked a little bit just to see some of the booths and then decided to head to the boats and take a boat over to the other side.

A lovely Happy Birthday wish from the boat captain, and we disembarked on the other side of the lake. Walked right in to the American Pavilion and grabbed a seat next to this really nice older couple. It was their first time at Epcot and they wanted to see the American Adventure. We told them about Voices of Liberty and how they were one of my all time favorite things to see while at Disney. After waiting only a few minutes, the singers came out and wowed the couple (as well as mom and I)...

3986312533_bac69eedf7.jpg

After it was over, the couple thanked us for convincing them to stay and listen. We then all headed into the theater to watch the show.

This show seriously makes me get all teary eyed every single time. I have the Golden Dream song on my iPod and LOVE it!

We were starting to get hungry (wow...finally!) so we took our time heading over to Italy. When we got there we were greeted by Sergio! The kid that he had picked was hilarious.

I think this is a cute shot even though there's a shoulder in my way!

Tweet Update, 1:00 PM Sep 28th: Fabulous gorgeous day at epcot. Got teary eyes listening to voices of liberty. Now enjoying lunch at tutto italia

Ok, time to take a break..it's almost 5 and I have to run to a physical therapy appointment for my knee! EEK!!! Up next? Our fabulous lunch at Tutto!

I don't get why people don't like the Nemo ride. It's super cute! The Seas pavilion was a bit boring until they re-did it with the Nemo theme. What's not to like???

Can't wait to read more about your Epcot day!

YAY! Great update :) What a great morning! I'm glad that your breakfast was fantastic--especially since your dinner was so horrible. Gorgeous pictures of "the ball". I just love it against the blue sky. I'm so sad we didn't get to listen to the Voices of Liberty. I'm anxious to hear about the rest of your day!

Great update---definitely worth waiting for. :thumbsup2

It's a shame, but I usually just skip right by America in the World Showcase. I have seen the Voices of Liberty, but never gone inside for the movie. :guilty: Horrible, I know. I think I'll have to watch it this trip.

We always seem to shortchange World Showcase; next time we should really spend more time there. I can't think of the last time I heard Voices of Liberty. I know we saw The British Invasion in 2003; that and Maelstrom are about all I remember us doing in WS on that trip.

That Figment plush is great! I don't recall seeing it when I was there though.

Hey guys!

I'm alive! I have the GMATs on Saturday so i haven't had ANY time to get on here :( I will soon though to finish this crazy TR!!

Miss you :(

Hey girl! I've been thinking about you! I loved the update. How is your training going? Can you believe it's almost here? So excited!

Hey girl! I've been thinking about you! I loved the update. How is your training going? Can you believe it's almost here? So excited!

OMG I'm alive!!! :) I'm going to try writing an update tonight or tomorrow at work.

I can't believe the half marathon is less than THREE weeks away!!! OMG!

OK! I'm back! And I'm going to get a TR in if it kills me today. The trip details are starting to get fuzzy and it's making me upset!

So I left you guys off on a beautiful Epcot morning...and mom and I were just making our way around the world showcase and were heading to Italy for lunch at Tutto.

Our reservation was for 1pm and looking at our receipt as well as my tweet, I believe we were there right on time. We were seated right next to the tiny 'patio' area closest to the outside tables. It was a slightly tiny two person table but not too bad. Our waitress was Rena and she was delightful. She was very friendly and always made sure that we had everything we needed and that our glasses (mom had a soda, I had iced tea....both $3) were full.

To start off, they brought a basket of different types of bread and breadsticks, along with a plate of olive oil and a tiny bowl of olives. Yummy start!

For appetizers, I started off with my usual... Prosciutto di Parma - Prosciutto ham, seasonal melon $16

I'm pretty sure I can be considered a prosciutto snob. I can live on good prosciutto for the rest of my life. I might be bloated from salt overload, but it's a risk I'd take. I know a lot of people hate it since it's so salty...but if you find quality prosciutto, it's not as salty as most. Growing up with all these great Italian deli's in my area, I've had my share of the good and bad. This prosciutto? Perfect! Yes, it's very expensive for an appetizer, but even if I was paying OOP, I'd order it. Freshly sliced, not too fatty, not too salty. The melon was perfectly ripe and a great compliment to the meat. I'm definitely glad my mom doesn't eat it...more for me!

The melon is hiding under there somewhere...

Mom chose the "Bufala" Mozzarella - tomatoes, basil and Tuscan olive oil $12
Not sure why Bufala is in quotes but it's made from water buffalo milk instead of cow. It's softer/creamier than cow mozzarella. This didn't disappoint either.

I forgot to take an 'after' photo but after, the waitress came by and supplied us with olive oil to drizzle over the whole plate. This was delicious as well. Perfectly fresh mozz and the olive oil was a perfect compliment. The tomatoes could have been slightly riper but I know they weren't in season any more.

Needless to say, both our plates were completely bare by the time they came to clean the table!

Mom was excited when she saw filet of sole on the menu. It's her favorite fish so she ordered that... Sogliola in Tecia - saute breaded filet of Sole, lemon, caper relish $24

She LOVED this! Didn't eat the greens or anything but pretty sure she ate every last bite of the fish. It smelled actually good to me, and I hate seafood. I didn't smell the typical seafood smell. She said it was very light and had a perfect lemon flavor.

I couldn't really make up my mind so asked for a pasta recommendation. Rena suggested the Casarecci - Cavatelli pasta, sweet sausage ragu, tomatoes, pecorino romano $21

YUM! I devoured every last bite of this too. Cavatelli, if made wrong, can be way too heavy and pastey. This was fairly light and not horribly filling. The sauce wasn't too heavy either and the sausage flavor really stood out in the dish. I sopped up every last drop of sauce with some crusty Italian bread at the end. Ok...must stop talking about it..my mouth is watering!

I think it was around here when I tweeted about 'part' of my Tutto experience...

Tweet Update, 1:31 PM Sep 28th: It must be a requirement that if you're a male waiter at tutto...you must be beautiful lol

I'm sorry to all the guys reading this (Scott!) but it's true. There ratio of good looking men to not-so-good-looking men in there was staggering. Obviously I wasn't complaining...haha! And pretty sure Scott has been making fun of me ever since whenever I mention Tutto!

We were pretty much stuffed to the gills after eating every last bite of both appetizers and entrees but of course we couldn't turn down yummy Italian desserts, right?

I ordered the Cannoli - crisp pastry filled with sweet ricotta, chocolate and candied orange $6.50. The allears menu says it's $12 but not on my receipt!

This was a fairly decent cannoli. Not the best I've ever had but it ranked up there. Again, I'm pretty picky with my Italian food! The cannolis are definitely filled with cream to order and aren't just sitting around getting soggy. Bonus points for that!

Mom chose the Copetta Sotto Bosco - berries, zabaglione cream gelato and chocolate sauce $14

She did make a slight change though and asked for the dark chocolate gelato instead of the zabaglione gelato.

The berries were all very fresh and ripe, and the chocolate gelato went well with all of them. I forget what berries were included but definitely strawberries, raspberries, bananas (?) and possibly blueberries?

Oh! Before they brought out the normal desserts... I heard a slight commotion behind me. A few of the waiters all got together and sang 'Happy Birthday' to me in Italian. Very cute! They also presented me with this yummy dessert:

It was chocolate mouse in a chocolate shell with raspberry drizzle. Not too heavy or sweet..just right!

I think I can confidently say that Tutto was the second best meal after Citricos. I loved every single thing about it and wouldn't change a thing. The service was great, as well as the food. Liked it so much that you'll be seeing it again in this TR at some point, haha! Yes, it's expensive but they use quality ingredients and I think it's worth it.

The Breakdown:
Iced Tea: $3
Soda: $3
Prosciutto: $16
Bufala Mozz: $12
Casarecci: $21
Sogliola: $24
Cannoli: $6.50
Copetta Sottobosco: $14
Subtotal: $99.50
Tax: $6.47
Total before tip: $105.97

We paid the bill, thanked everyone, and made our way back out into the gorgeous Florida weather.

Of course we had to stop for a few minutes and enjoy the view!

3988305701_be8bbe94e9.jpg

Alrighty...gotta stop here for a bit, time to head home from work!! :woohoo:

That meal looks absolutely delicious!

I'm glad I booked an ADR for Tutto in Feb..

I chuckled when you "cleaned" the bowl with bread....I do the same thing....

Me? Make fun? Never... ;)

Haha...you? NEVER! Don't worry...you'll have another chance in Jan...it's our pasta meal before the half marathon! :thumbsup2

That meal looks absolutely delicious!

I'm glad I booked an ADR for Tutto in Feb..

I chuckled when you "cleaned" the bowl with bread....I do the same thing....

Haha...are you sure you're not part Italian? All (most?!) Italians do that! I can make a whole meal of just good yummy bread and a bowl of sauce. My dad and I usually just sit in front of the stove 'testing' the sauce with the bread to make sure it's warm enough...LOL

Theres another meal at Tutto coming up too so get ready!

Oh my. My stomach was already growling, but now it REALLY is! That food looks absolutely delicious! Italian food is my favorite (well, besides my grandma's and mom's Brazilian food :cloud9:) and I think Tutto is going to have to be on our list for next time! Everything looked so, so good! :goodvibes

Oh my. My stomach was already growling, but now it REALLY is! That food looks absolutely delicious! Italian food is my favorite (well, besides my grandma's and mom's Brazilian food :cloud9:) and I think Tutto is going to have to be on our list for next time! Everything looked so, so good! :goodvibes

I hear a lot of mixed reviews about Tutto saying that it's not authentic, etc and that service isnt the best but we've NEVER had any problem with anything. I want to see what people who say it's not authentic really think authentic is? I would even possibly consider some Tutto dishes on par with food I had in Italy and Sicily. But then again...what do those Italians and Sicilians know? :rotfl: I hope you love it as much as we do!

Alright...I'm determined to finish the TR before my trip in NINE DAYS if it kills me!

Last I left you, mom and I had just finished a fabulous lunch at Tutto and had just walked out of the restaurant.

Umm... I think I had tape worm or something this afternoon. Or the Food & Wine bug attacked me and I was determined to at least try a few things even if my stomach exploded.

We decided to head back to POFQ and take a little rest but wanted to see a few things along the way so we headed in the direction of Mexico.

first stop along the way was the Germany Bierline at F&W. I was craving a good yummy beer and what better place, right? I quickly ran over and got a Spaten Oktoberfest ($8) and we continued on our way. I'm pretty sure we wandered a little bit into the store and looked at all of the Hummel's. My grandmother used to be a HUGE Hummel collector and when she passed away, I was able to keep a few of them. There were a few really cute Disney Hummel's but they were definitely out of my price range. :(

Forward with our journey, I walked past the Australia kiosk by the Africa Outpost and the smell of the lamb chops stopped me dead in my tracks. I'm half Greek...we love our lamb! I quickly ran over there too while mom sat on a bench waiting and grabbed a chop using a snack credit.

Grilled Lamb Chop, Red Wine Sauce, Murray River Sea Salt $5.50

Headed over to mom and relaxed for a few minutes. The lamb chop was delicious!! Slightly fatty but nothing horrible. Cooked perfectly medium and had great flavor. I really don't see or remember any red wine sauce though. They could have used slightly more seasoning but I was still happy.

We continued on our way, skipped China for now (I think..at least I have no photos of it), and quickly stopped by Norway for a few minutes. I've actually never been in the Stave church so we went inside to take a peek. Cute little museum in there! The woodwork on the outside though is what was really interesting though!

We stopped in the store to look around and I yet again fell in love with sweaters that I couldn't afford. Also saw a pair of Helly Hanson snow boots that I LOVED but again, didn't feel like parting with that kind of money at the time.

Heading by Mexico, I wanted to go check out the new tequila bar so mom and I ventured in. I also knew that she'd enjoy the theming inside, which she did. We wandered for a little bit, watched the glass maker at work, and then took a peek into the tequila bar. Definitely have added it to my list of things I have to do in January!

And of course we couldn't leave Mexico without a ride with the Three Caballeros!! Granted the line was only 5 minutes long or we would have definitely bypassed it!

After Mexico we decided to head back to the buses to POFQ... got on a bus fairly quickly and we in the room in no time.

Tweet Update, 4:15 PM Sep 28th: Back at pofq from epcot for a bit...I need to be hungrier for food and wine but was able to try lamb in melbourne and spaten in munich..yum

As we were sitting in the room, we decided that our 8pm ADR at Teppan Edo was too late for mom so I put out a call to all my tweeters..

Tweet Update, 5:03 PM Sep 28th: Thinking about canceling teppan edo for 8pm... For 4 people...anyone want it?

Sadly no one took it so i called and cancelled. Instead of heading back to Epcot, mom and I wanted to go check out Downtown Disney for a little bit. I haven't been there in AGES so I didnt even really remember what it looked like.

Sadly don't have any photos for the rest of the night though but we headed over to the dock at POFQ and took a leisurely boat ride over to DTD. I wanted to definitely go to the World of Disney and grab a few souvenirs for myself and friends so we headed that way first. Luckily I also had my Birthday Fun Card so I had a bunch of money to burn through! :)

We ended up getting 3 mugs (mine, my friends, moms friend), a frame for the house, and a photo album.

Then we wanted a 2009 Christmas ornament so we headed over to the Christmas store and bought one as well as a reusable shopping bag.

By now it was about 6:30pm and mom was getting a little hungry. I had NO idea what mom would like to eat at DTD so we wandered a little bit. I think she was getting tired and cranky though because NOTHING appealed to her. AT ALL! :( I was trying for Earl of Sandwich or Wolfgangs but she wasn't having it. Ugh. So we headed back to the boat to get back to POFQ and eat at Sassagoula. The boat ride was fun since the captain kept making fun of me for my bday. :)

Back at POFQ, I reeeeallly wasn't hungry and mom never eats too much so we actually split one CS meal.

I got a Powerade, Banana (for the morning snack), and a Personalized Cheese Pizza with side salad. All for one CS credit. Nothing really to review here. The pizza wasn't as good as our arrival day, but it was still decent. I stole a slice from mom and ate the side salad. The salad was fresh but OMG the dressing was sooooo gross. I kinda ruined the salad with it. I grabbed the french dressing and THOUGHT I had mixed it enough in the package but when i tried to pour it on the salad, only the greasy oil poured out. Needless to say I was skeeved out so didn't eat much of it.

We then called it an early night and headed back to the room. :)

Morning everyone! Hope I can get another update in before I have to get ready for work...

Today was our AK day with breakfast at Tusker House... so we were up and out pretty early.

Tweet Update, 7:22 AM Sep 29th: Waiting for a bus to ak for breakfast with donald. Bus stop is empty so I'm guessing we just missed the bus...boo!

It was probably the longest time we had to wait for a bus, but still wasn't more than 15 mins. When we got to AK, they were already letting people with ADRs into the park. The CM had a clipboard but wasn't checking anyone. These two poor girls apparently thought that they could just walk up for the ADR and the CM politely told them that there are no walk ups. They looked defeated! They trekked all the way to AK and couldn't even get in. Sad, lol.

I wish I had more time to take in AK when it was pretty empty. It was beautiful but we were so hungry that we didn't even stop for any photos. We went up to the hostess stand, gave our name, and were quickly told to wait in line to be seated. We bypassed the group photo and were quickly brought to our table.

Our waitress was friendly, although she disappeared for a few times throughout the meal. Nothing horrible though. She brought us out their fabulous juice (which I can NOT remember what was in it!) and then took our drink order and explained the buffet.

Mom and I headed up to get food while she brought us the drinks. The selection of food was decent but I wasn't blown away, as you can see by my plate...

The ham was fresh and moist, and the waffle was the usual yummy Mickey waffle all over property. Potatoes were cooked well and crispy...The ham and cheese fritatta was just ok. The beef bobtie quiche was also good, but not great.

I also tried the bread pudding and it was a little too dry for me but I didnt want to put the vanilla sauce on it. Mom ate all the pecans and crunchy stuff on top and enjoyed it! She enjoyed breakfast here, I think mainly because she ate a million Mickey waffles and fruit!

3990003718_88e64014a9.jpg

Oh...the one thing that was really crappy about Tusker House? Their COFFEE!!! They serve the gross Nescafe stuff and I couldn't even drink it. Vile!

Tweet Update, 8:37 AM Sep 29th: Only problem with tusker house? Crappy nescafe coffee!

When the waitress came by once I asked her where in the park I can get real brewed coffee but I don't think she understood me well. She's the only CM we encountered that didn't joke and laugh about the crappy coffee that's sold around the parks!

So we had finished eating and still hadn't had any characters come around. I saw a few walking around but every time they came to our room, they would do a few tables and then walk out for their breaks.

Tweet Update, 9:02 AM Sep 29th: Tusker house was decent. Waiting for the characters...none came by yet..hmph! Donald was in the room and walked out!

While waiting I noticed the cool ceiling decorations

3990003876_7a8d2dc181.jpg

Finally The Mouse walked into the room! Score!

And Mr. Duck was right behind him...

Tweet Update, 9:07 AM Sep 29th: Yay just got mickey and donald...daisy and goofy are in the room

After waiting a few more minutes and making sure the bill was paid, Goofy made his way over to our table

Daisy was also there and of course right when she was supposed to come to our table, she went on a break. We decided not to wait anymore and headed out into the park.

So overall review? Tusker House was good, nothing amazing. Crystal Palace was much better by far. The character interaction was pretty much the same as CP, but a little more rushed. They would come and take a photo with me but some started walking away before my mom could get a pic with them. She wanted photos too! You have to somehow plan to be in their starting room if you have the first ADR of the day. We were towards the back of the restaurant so it took them a long time to get to us.

I would probably eat here again though. Definitely if I had kids with me. It was cute and I liked how the characters were all dressed for their safari. Service was friendly as well. Now if only they could fix that gross coffee!!

The Breakdown:
2 Adult Buffet: $41.98
OOP: tip

OK...if I don't end it here and get ready for work, I'll be REALLY late! I'll try to add another piece when I'm at work today :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter