Bringing food on the plane

DisneyBrooke81

Mouseketeer
Can you bring food in your carry on as long as it is sealed and unopened? I am just wondering since DD is 1, I want to make sure I have plenty of her snacks for the week. My mom seems to think you can not bring any food on the plane. TIA.

I always bring snacks on the plane and have never had a problem. This year our flight is during lunch so uncrustables, frozen grapes and chips are going in my carry on.

We always bring snacks on our flights. We have a five-hour flight to MCO on Southwest--and the snacks are heavy on the carbs and preservatives! *LOL*

There is another thread--perhaps on the transportatoin board--mentioning not to bring a container of peanut butter, jelly or cream cheese, but it's fine to make sandwiches containing these ingredients. Anything that is liquid or gelatin (including yogurt, pudding, Jell-o) cannot go through security, although you can purchase those items on the concourse. Medical and some infant items excepted, but must be hand-checked by security separately.

Some flights may be declared peanut-free to a severe allergy of a passenger. That can include peanut butter. So, while you can carry peanut butter sandwiches on board, make alternate plans in case you end up on a peanut-free flight. It isn't announced until you are on board.

Some flights may be declared peanut-free to a severe allergy of a passenger. That can include peanut butter. So, while you can carry peanut butter sandwiches on board, make alternate plans in case you end up on a peanut-free flight. It isn't announced until you are on board.

This happened on our flight last year. The mother was on the plane and wiping down everything before the child could sit on the seat. It was announced to not open any package that contained anything with peanuts.

Thanks for all the info. I feel better knowing my Gerber Puffs and yogurt melts will not be tossed at the gate!

Yes! I brought a small soft side cooler on the plane with lunch and snack foods for the kids. I only had a security blip for my square Sprout baby food pouches. lol I took it out and the scanner was like "Oooo, convenient!"

Keep in mind the 3 oz limit on any liquids you carryon. We just got home from an Allegient flight to/from WDW and no problem with dry ingredients. We enjoyed our waters (poured into containers AFTER security), trail mix and crackers with no problem. Parents with small children were enjoying everything from water to goldfish crackers to candy. It certainly helps the vacation budget:)

So today at Logan airport in Boston I saw someone bring two full sized Papa Gino's pizzas through the checkpoint, so I guess you could bring these on the plane as well.

I think it depends on the security person.

I have brought soy milk, jello cups and even a cake with a plasic knife in the container (the knife was a mistake). I once was questioned about the jello cups, I just told them it was for my lactose intollerant niece. I had the jello cups in a ziplock bag along with a plastic spoon.

In all the flights I have been on lately..Quite a few just not to disney. The security has been VERY strict with liquids. If you purchase it after you have been through security not a problem if you try to bring it in through security it is a problem. I am not sure that jello would count as a liquid or not but I would highly recommend checking out the TSA website for facts. They has extensive lists on what is allowed. Sometimes people get through lines with items that are prohibited but I wouldnt base my packing on what someone squeezed through..:)

So, I won't be able to bring a pre-made bottle with me? We will be traveling with our 1 yr old DD. We've only made her bottles with nursery water and not regular ol' water...here's a silly first time mom question...can you use regular old water or bottled water? Is there a limit on the amount of powdered formula? Any help is appreciated!!!:goodvibes

So, I won't be able to bring a pre-made bottle with me? We will be traveling with our 1 yr old DD. We've only made her bottles with nursery water and not regular ol' water...here's a silly first time mom question...can you use regular old water or bottled water? Is there a limit on the amount of powdered formula? Any help is appreciated!!!:goodvibes

Powdered formula should be fine. Not sure about nursery water (don't know that anyone here uses it). I don't know what the requirements are for formula, but you have to be able to bring bottles for infants. I'd make sure you have enough, that's one thing that would be very bad to not have enough of.

I wouldn't use regular tap water, if you daughter isn't use to it. You can definately get bottled water after going through security.

Yes and yes.
You can use regular bottled water (the kind you and I drink) to mix with powdered formula. I always did that with both of my babies! It makes it easy when you go out, you can grab a bottle of water anywhere!!

In 2008 and 2009 I brought pre mixed bottles through security in the Philadelphia and Orlando airport. (At that time dd could only tolerate ready to feed formula) I asked right before we went through, and they told me to just have it out where they could see it. Only once did they ask me to step aside and let them use a "sniffer" to check out the bottles. It was no problem at all.

Double check with your airline/airport but I am pretty sure things like baby formula and medications are fine.

I have been able to take unopened individual size juice bottles (over 3oz) for my kids who were 2 and 4 so I would hope you can take pre-made formula.

As mentioned up thread the best source for information on secuirty and air travel is http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/index.shtm

I recomend everyone read through prior to air travel - it has all the info you need including traveling with food, traveling with children and the security process.

You can bring food through security as long as it isn't liquid or gel. If it can hold its shape outside the container its fine.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/holiday.shtm

There are exceptions to the liquid restrictions for medicine and baby necessities. When traveling with a baby/ toddler you are allowed to bring formula, breasmilk, milk, juice and baby food in amounts that "are reasonable for the length of your flight".
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/formula.shtm

Can you bring food in your carry on as long as it is sealed and unopened? I am just wondering since DD is 1, I want to make sure I have plenty of her snacks for the week. My mom seems to think you can not bring any food on the plane. TIA.

You can bring snacks but you can't take liquids through security. You can buy water, juice or pop at the Airport stores after you go through security.

I always bring snacks for my son and it is never a problem. Have a great trip.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter