• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

bringing food down

DisVillianMomma

I'm a Villians Girl
Does any one have any good ideas on how to bring down some food in my carry on to cook at my dvc resort. I want to bring some food down so we can have dinner in my room. I am just not sure the best way to do this any tips will be helpful!!

well as long as it isn't a liquid or a gel you could pack a small soft sided cooler full...freeze some of the food and use that as ice packs since those aren't allowed on the plane. (or are they??)

put stuff in zip loc baggies.. ex gronla bars take out of box and pack in zip lock..:thumbsup2

I can't think of anything I would want to cook and eat after I had been carrying it around in my bag for the better part of the day. Consider ordering groceries:

http://gardengrocer.com/

No this is food that I would like to take from home to disneyworld like spaghetti, tuna, and more other items I could bring down to disney, so it will save me money I will have a kitchen and want to make all the kids meals in the hotel

put stuff in zip loc baggies.. ex gronla bars take out of box and pack in zip lock..:thumbsup2

Thanks for the tip, last time I put fruit snack in baggies try nutri gran bars but they were all crumbley when we got their so I am definetly gonna try granola bar.:goodvibes

For the last 2 trips I packed an 18 gallon rubbermaid tote with snacks, drinks (all in ziplocs or smaller containers) and then used our beach towels for cushion. I taped it up with heavy duty tape and shipped thru as a piece luggage. Nothing was crushed or broken. We were there for 11 days and used the tote to pack our breakable purchases for the way home. It worked really well for us.:thumbsup2

I'm bringing a rubbermaid tote with dry goods and snacks (hamburger helper, dry pasta, pasta sauce, oatmeal, muffin mixes [and muffin tin], pre-cooked bacon, bread, 100 calorie packs, slim jims, crackers, peanut butter, jelly, salt & pepper, condiments, cooking spray, etc). The only things I will have to buy when we get there are ground beef, chicken, lunch meat, eggs, and milk - all easy sections to find at any grocery. I might find the frozen foods and get some waffles too.

I cook nutricious food at home; I'm ok with junkier stuff on vacation, esp if it's easy to pack, like the hamburger helper. It's got to be better than chicken nuggets and fries for every meal.

Put spices you anticipate using in labeled, snack size zip-lock bags. Also, sugar in a baggie, coffee, coffee filters, tea bags stuff like that.

Oh, for making things easier, I have been looking for smaller packages at reasonable prices and deciding on a menu that doesn't more than a few things for each meal.

I will bring the picnic size salt and pepper and leave them there. Kroger has the most popular spices in small-sized generics for $1. I found room service style mustard, ketchup and mayo at Walmart (50 cents ea) and bought the mustard and mayo. I bought a small ketchup (but larger than the room service size) for $1. I can trash all of those at the end of the week.

Muffin mixes in pouches take up less room than muffin mixes in boxes. And now you can buy disposable muffin tins just like the aluminum cake ones. I will wash them to reuse while we're there, but they won't come home either. With luck, I'll find a recycle bin for them. Taking your own mixes is much, much cheaper and smaller than buying and bringing premade muffins. The same holds true for cookie mixes, and a cookie sheet is flat enough that it takes up almost no room in the rubbermaid bin.

Individually wrapped items like single serve twizzlers and slim jims can be fit into any number of small spaces in the Rubbermaid container. Just rubberband them to keep them neat.

Spaghetti only requires a jar or two of sauce, a box of pasta, and some meat - no spices. Hamburgers or hot dogs with fries and baked beans only needs meat, buns, a bag of frozen taters and a can of beans. Hamburger Helper is easiest of all - 2 boxes of HH and 1# of ground meat (and you can make it with ground turkey to make it a bit healthier. None of these meals requires special equipment or spices beyond salt and pepper.

I figure I'll still have room in the top of my bin for other things that won't crush the foodstuffs. And I'll have most of the bin for souvies on the trip back home.

For the last 2 trips I packed an 18 gallon rubbermaid tote with snacks, drinks (all in ziplocs or smaller containers) and then used our beach towels for cushion. I taped it up with heavy duty tape and shipped thru as a piece luggage. Nothing was crushed or broken. We were there for 11 days and used the tote to pack our breakable purchases for the way home. It worked really well for us.:thumbsup2

Yeah, but how much extra did you have to pay for those? It would wipe out the OP's savings (if you're only talking tuna and spaghetti)..

Does any one have any good ideas on how to bring down some food in my carry on to cook at my dvc resort. I want to bring some food down so we can have dinner in my room. I am just not sure the best way to do this any tips will be helpful!!

Yep, just like everyone else said... put your liquids in 3 oz containers in your zip top bag. Other than that, you can take ANYTHING (that wouldn't perish) like fruits, bread, salad, etc. They'll inspect it probably but you shouldn't have a problem. We're doing this in October! :cutie:

Why not take a cab to Publix? That way you can buy big boxes of bottled water, fresh milk, anything you want?

OH, sorry, didn't see the "carryon" part.

In the past,when I tried to fly with non-toiletry liquids (ie, strawberry drinks for older kids), they were confiscated and thrown away. I had searched for a couple of weeks for something healthy in less than 3 oz portions to take on our 8+ hr flight to keep the kids from living on soda on the plane. And it was taken from me. The little girl in front of me had her juice boxes taken as well (she was about 6, obviously not a baby). That same airport let me take embroidery scissors that were confiscated at the next stop.

I think that rules are open to interpretation, and I would not take non -baby formula/toiletry items in the carryon (or scissors LOL). Put them in your checked luggage or buy them in Orlando.

Just a tip for bringing coffee filters, I put them in a left over margarine tub. They fit perfectly and don't get crushed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter