Bringing along SLR camera a bad idea?

Sputnik

Earning My Ears
Hi everybody,

I recently purchased a Nikon D90 SLR camera and would like to know if it would be a hassle for me to carry it around in the parks. Does anyone have any experience with this or does anyone have any recommendations?

Only 6 more days!! WOOHOO!!

Thanks! :yay:

I always bring my SLR camera with me. Carry it over one shoulder with no problems and carry it in my hand on ride just to be safe.

Oly problem I have ever had was on Main Street at MK when it was busy someone bumped into the camera walking by and knocked the lense cap off. Too crowded to find it. It was not a cheap to replace either.

Gary

I always take my Nikon DSLR into the parks, I figured that I did not buy an expensive camera to not use it in the place I am likely to want to tke a lot of pictures! I don't find it a hastle, I carry it around my neck then put in in a camera bag when I go on the rides.

Look in Trip Reviews for Topdog's "What a distaster" review. He carries a SLR and many accessories/lenses with it and seemed to have no problems. Also had a crumpler bag (it that right?) that seemed to hold a lot.
There are pictures of his camera and equipment/bags in the review, too.

I carry mine in a hiking pack which is water resistant. I have traveled with it several times with out a problem.

I prefer to carry a good compact camera.
I have a Fuji Z-1. size = 2.125" x 3" x .75"

While not as good a lense as your SLR, the pictures are good. I have prints of the castle blown up to 36" posters.
( I have acces to large format 44" printers )
You can see tinker bells wire in the print.

The advantage of the small size is key to me.
I always have it strapped to my belt.
If I had to lug around my SLR it would become a chore...
One trip just for taking picture would be ok but for day to day give me a small camera with a good lens.

Pop

We take our SLR cameras with us everywhere! DH carries it in a lowepro slingshot bag so he can just whip the bag around when he needs it. 95% of the time the camera is around his neck though. He loves taking pics of everything! :thumbsup2

You can get great tips on best way to carry and which lens or what not to carry for what the activities are for the day on the Photography Board as well-
Many many DSLR owners there- I have gotten some great tips! :thumbsup2

Hi everybody,

I recently purchased a Nikon D90 SLR camera and would like to know if it would be a hassle for me to carry it around in the parks. Does anyone have any experience with this or does anyone have any recommendations?

Only 6 more days!! WOOHOO!!

Thanks! :yay:

You get a much better photo with a digital SLR than any other camera . . .what I would do if I were you is think about what you want picutres of, make sure you know how to use your new camera (Learn to shoot on Manual) and bring it.

But, also bring a smaller camera for the days you want to ease up on the photo taking and just have fun. You can lock up your DSLR, if it won't fit in the safe in your room, just hide it under your dirty underwear in your suitcase:rotfl:, it will be fine.

In my experience, I've rarely had reason to not have my camera with me while at Disney.

If you are primarily going as a big time ride enthusiast, it could very well get in the way.

I have made due on all but a ride such as Splash Mountain. A few rules of thumb would be these.

Do NOT assume that you can get by all day with only a strap around your shoulder. You need to have a small protective bag if you intend on riding anything that bumps ( i.e. test track, space mountain, tot etc. ).

Something along the lines of a LowePro Toploader 75 AW would be EXTREMELY helpful. It's one of the bags I bring with me depending on how much I intend to shoot that day and selection of lenses I would be bringing. It is a fairly large bag that allows you to keep the camera at your side with access to it from the top. This means you can "holster" the camera in the bag as opposed to having it simply hanging exposed at your side, so no worries about bumps against turnstiles, other visitors etc. Yet at the same time you can get to it quickly without having to worry about other items falling out while the bag is open as you might experience with some other bags ( backpack types ).

The AW stands for all weather, and this is important. As rains can come more quickly than you can find shelter at times, and as it has a little built in raincover which you can be put in place in less than a minute you can feel a little more confident that your investment isn't about to be ruined. In lieu of one of the AW bags, make sure you have some sort of plastic bag that you can put over the camera bag ( or camera ) with the opening facing down.
Another suggestion is to take a little duct tape and with the bag opening facing down, cut two holes as small as you can for the bag straps or camera straps to fit through ( assuming of course that the straps have some sort of release mechanism ) and put the duct tape on around the slots you make for the straps so they do not open further when in use.

The camera I have toted around was the Nikon D2h, which is a lot larger and heavier than the D90, so you will not likely suffer the fatigue of carrying all day as I have at times.

If you are less inclined to be riding and more of a person that takes in what is around you and focuses on the slower moving rides ( jungle cruise, train, shows ) you might be interested in a backpack more. Again my choice is a lowepro which I've packed multiple lenses, a flash and external battery and body as well as autograph book and other things for my daughter. It does not allow for the camera to be accessed for quick use though as the toploader does.

There are smaller cases available and I'm not pushing Lowepro on you, I just have found in my experience they hold up real well, are right for my needs and comfortable. But any protection is better than just keeping the camera on a strap with nothing. I don't care how careful you THINK you are, sooner or later someone or something will bump into your camera and while it may not break it, it isn't worth the risk.

What I tend to use while carrying the camera around is called the Zing grip, which is a neoprene wrap that connects to the strap fitting and the tripod threading on the bottom of the camera. It allows you to hold the camera in your one hand and release your grip without the body falling from your hands. It's suprising how comfortable it is to hold the camera in your hand as when you don't have to actually grip it at all times.

To me, I will sacrifice convenience of a point and shoot over the precision an SLR gives me.

If you plan on any meet and greets, keep in mind that no point and shoot ( or built in flash ) will be as good as an external flash unit that you might use with the SLR. Even outdoors I'll use the flash for character greetings to fill in the shadows... something that is very very hard to do with point and shoots or the pop up flashes.

I've also found that people have a little more "respect" for someone taking photo's with an SLR. I think we can agree that 90% of what makes a great photo is the photographer and the subject... not the camera... but be it as it may, a lot of people are not concerned at all for the common place. Point and shoots ( and more and more pictures being taken with phones ) are the norm and passersby seem to be a little more oblivious regarding them, and when they do see an SLR seem to give you a little more room.

As someone else pointed out, you just paid a boatload of money for that thing... why wouldn't you want to use it.

Make sure the batteries are charged. They last a long long time nowadays, but if you are using the monitor a lot, make sure you have at least 50% otherwise charge it.

Carry more than 1 card. I don't care if you have the largest card in the world... sometimes ( rarely ) poop happens and a card can go bad. Nothing makes you go batty like having a $1000. camera and having a card go bad with no backup.

Go out and shoot shoot shoot and shoot in different modes with that new camera BEFORE you get to Disney so you can see how it meters... it should work fine in auto ( if that is what you want to use ) but you want to know how to change the autofocus modes or choose aperture or shutter priority modes as well.... you don't want to be experimenting with your new camera while you are at Disney.

Best of luck... and as you can imagine keep your eye on the camera at all times.

Under the stroller for the SLR. IT's a little bit of a pain, but sometimes there's not a photopass person when you want a specific shot. It was worth it for us in the long run.

I think NOT bringing the SLR camera is a bad idea!

I bought my first SLR in 1999 and have taken to WDW on every trip since (12 trips in all). When I'm at WDW, I take the camera with me EVERYWHERE I go - parks, resorts, shopping, dining, recreation, everywhere.

An SLR camera is nothing but a useless waste of $1000 unless you take it with you on your most important photo ops of the year - your WDW vacation.

I asked this elsewhere but seeing all these responses I would like your opinions here as well :-) Ds is bring his SLR..he has the slingshot aw..so all good there. For those that have that bag--do you store your camera in it and take it on Splash or Kali? Those are the 2 rides he is concerned about..and man-who wants to trek ALL the way back to the lockers to stash it for that alone!

Wow! Thank you all for your input - I have decided to bring my SLR but haven't decided what to store it in yet. I have a small swissgear backpack that comes with a smaller backpack inside. The camera fits perfectly in the smaller backpack so I may just use that for now. When I'm not on the rides I'll probably just have it around my neck. For added weather protection I may just use a ziplock bag or something similar. The LowePro Toploader 75 AW looks really nice but is a bit pricey for me right now (have to save for all of those souvenirs!).

Now I just have to decide whether or not to bring one lens or two! I have an 18-105mm lens and a 50mm f/1.8 lens.

Great advice on the Zing grip and extra memory card! I've never heard of the Zing grip before but after doing little research I will probably pick one of those up :)

:banana:

I asked this elsewhere but seeing all these responses I would like your opinions here as well :-) Ds is bring his SLR..he has the slingshot aw..so all good there. For those that have that bag--do you store your camera in it and take it on Splash or Kali? Those are the 2 rides he is concerned about..and man-who wants to trek ALL the way back to the lockers to stash it for that alone!

Splash is not that big a deal. You only get wet on one drop toward the end, and although it's possible to get pretty wet, just about any good camera bag will protect your camera gear from the water, because it's a single, brief splash, not a prolonged soaking.

Kali is a lot wetter, and you can get a pretty prolonged soaking there, but all you need to do to keep your camera gear dry is put a plastic bag (like a garbage bag) over your camera bag. Keeping yourself dry, however, is a horse from a different time zone.

For those keeping their cameras on straps all day, a camera poncho is a great option.

I love the ziploc bag trick! I'm definitely going to use it on our trip because we all know it will rain at least a little bit. ;)

Now I just have to decide whether or not to bring one lens or two! I have an 18-105mm lens and a 50mm f/1.8 lens.

:banana:

I would bring both lenses on the trip . . . maybe leave one lense in your room on some days. The 1.8 lens will be great for the areas where no flash is allowed and your zoom will help you get closer to get a better shot.

I brought my new D90 on our trip in March and I will never travel without it now. The pictures were just a much better quality. It did get a little heavy by the end of the day but I had it in my crumpler photo bag (which also doubled as our park bag - meaning carrying other items as well). I would like to find a smaller bag to hold it though just to have a choice depending on the day.

We have the same camera and since DH did not come on the last trip I was the primary carrier of the camera. We have a sling like bag that we bought at Best Buy that worked great. It was hard at times to get it out quickly to take the shot, so I wore it around my neck a lot...here comes my sugestion. Buy yourself a different more comfortable neck strap. The camera gets heavy and in the heat you start to feel like it is strangling you. It really began to bother my neck. I looked for something more comfortable (anything) but could not find anything at Disney that was not similar to what I had. I did carry the camera itself like a sling to get it off my neck and tucked it under my arm. This too worked but I was worried about being bumped or taking a small kid out. :rotfl2:

Hope this helps.

I have a big DLSR and a point and shoot. Some days I take one, some I take the other.
Have a big ziploc bag to put your camera in "just in case" you go on a splashy ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter