Bringing alcohol onboard

carcam51

Mouseketeer
Hi All, I'm a first time cruiser and BF and I were thinking about bringing a couple bottles of wine with us. What is the best way to do this? I see it must be carried on and not in checked bags, but how do you get wine through TSA? Maybe you all make a stop on the way...that is out of the question for us since we will be on disney transportation....any ideas?

Buy it at home, then pack in your suitcase. There is something posted here somewhere where you don't put the Disney tags on the suitcase with the alcohol, then claim the bag yourself, switch it to your carryon, then turn it in to Disney transportation yourself after you put on the tag.

No idea where I saw that, but I swear I did. :coffee:

A little correction on what was said above. Do not put the DCL luggage tag on this bag and give it to DCl transport. These bags are checked at the port. The liquids need to be in your carry-on bag for boarding the ship.

So, you need to check it on the plane and carry it on the ship.

Just be careful - that could be a big mess in your suitcase, and all of your things ruined. I also hope it doesn't mess with your luggage weight - some airlines are charging high fees for luggage in general, and really hitting people for overweight luggage, so make sure to weigh. Just a caution!

The ABC stores here are now selling some liquor in plastic bottles. No chance of breaking and lighter!

The ABC stores here are now selling some liquor in plastic bottles. No chance of breaking and lighter!

If a plastic bottle of hair stuff can break ( as DD's did), I would imagine that a plastic beverage bottle could break if subjected to sufficient force.

As above, you must carry the beverages in your checked luggage on the plane. DO NOT put the DCL tags on the bags, and claim then at the airport. Take the beverages out and apply the luggage tags. Give it to the DCL people at the Welcome Center or to the porters at the terminal....

But if you are giving the luggage to the porters at the terminal, you are not using DCL transportation. In that case, you can make a stop on your way to the port and purchase your necessities at that time. Most towncar services allow a 15 or 30 minute stop at the store of your choice; if you have a rental car it is totally easy.

If you are flying in the day of your cruise, then yes, the above method is what you'll have to do - check it for the flight, claim your bags, swap it to the carry-on, tag the checked bag and turn it in to DCL. DH and I decided it was too much of a hassle!

We tacked on a day to the start of our vacation and stayed at the Hyatt in the Orlando airport. It felt like a LOT less hassle to move the alcohol from the checked to carry-on bag when we combined it with changing clothes and a nice swim in the rooftop pool! :cool2: Then, since we were using DCL transportation, we got to just leave our checked baggage in the room the next morning and had Hyatt/DCL worry about schlepping it around for us!:goodvibes

Not a different solution, and definitely more expense than some people would want - but it's a thought we had, LOVED, and will most likely do again when we cruise out of PC!

Your other options, of course, are to 1)not bring the alcohol at all:sad:(they don't even have our favorites on board!) or 2) use a private transportation option (town car, limo, rental) and stop on the way to the port. Other than those, I don't know of any way around it.

In regards to the breakage issue, I've used bubble wrap to great effect, and put the entire thing in a large ziplock bag (they make extra big ones! :) ) on a few occasions, and I've also used Wine Skin bottle bags. They work great!

Enjoy your trip!!!

You can also check with a local winery that ships bottles, they should have wine shippers that will protect your bottles from even the most aggressive baggage handlers. Uline.com sells these, but only in bulk.

Thanks you all for your thoughts. BF and I have decided that it is too much of a hassle - especially traveling with my 2 kids. I don't want to have to claim bags, switch booze, and then get bags to DCL...just to save a few bucks. I told BF last night that I'd like to have a glass of wine on the verandah in the evenings and he said, "so order one, we're on vacation." :cool1:

Thanks you all for your thoughts. BF and I have decided that it is too much of a hassle - especially traveling with my 2 kids. I don't want to have to claim bags, switch booze, and then get bags to DCL...just to save a few bucks. I told BF last night that I'd like to have a glass of wine on the verandah in the evenings and he said, "so order one, we're on vacation." :cool1:

Now that's the right attitude. If it's too hard to do, just skip it and go with what's on board. Have a great cruise!! :)

I loved my first one so much I've booked another. I took booze on the first time; won't do it next time--not worth the hassle IMHO. As your BF says, "so order one, we're on vacation." I like him!

Hi All, I'm a first time cruiser and BF and I were thinking about bringing a couple bottles of wine with us. What is the best way to do this? I see it must be carried on and not in checked bags, but how do you get wine through TSA? Maybe you all make a stop on the way...that is out of the question for us since we will be on disney transportation....any ideas?

Here's what i did. I pruchased my wine at my local wine store and also a bought some wine bubble wrap. To get it through tsa you have to put it in your airline checked bags. If you plan to stay at a hotel before the cruise then you have a chance to put your wine into you carry on bag for the cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter