• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bringing alcohol on board questions

MisterOJ

Mouseketeer
Well, in less than a week, my family and I will be sailing on the Magic. I came up with a few questions about bringing alcohol on board and if anyone knows the answers, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

1) If we bring it on the boat, does it have to be consumed before we come off because of customs of whatever? I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere. But does that apply to just liquor - or also beer and wine?

2) We're in a porthole room. Are the fridges' sufficient for keeping beer and white wine cold?

and 3) I know about the corkage fee for brining a bottle of wine to dinner. But what about a bottle of beer? I'm going to be brining at least one bottle of Duvel Triple Hop.

DuvelTripleHopAle.jpg

Well, in less than a week, my family and I will be sailing on the Magic. I came up with a few questions about bringing alcohol on board and if anyone knows the answers, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

1) If we bring it on the boat, does it have to be consumed before we come off because of customs of whatever? I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere. But does that apply to just liquor - or also beer and wine?

2) We're in a porthole room. Are the fridges' sufficient for keeping beer and white wine cold?

and 3) I know about the corkage fee for brining a bottle of wine to dinner. But what about a bottle of beer? I'm going to be brining at least one bottle of Duvel Triple Hop.

DuvelTripleHopAle.jpg

Not sure of the regulation for bringing half full bottles off the ship but we usually never have any left and the few times we did we just gave it to our room host (did not want to lug anymore off the ship than we had to).

The Magic's cooling boxes (they are not real fridges) are hit or miss....we never had any problem with keeping things cold but some reported they did. We put wine in and by the next day it was cold and stayed cold. I have also put a bottle of wine in the ice bucket to chill it quickly and then it stayed cold in the fridge.

Yes, you can bring a bottle of beer or a glass of wine into the dining room with no problem. I would not bring a six pack but a bottle should be fine.

MJ

I always take zip lock bags with me. If the cooling box does not keep things cold, get your steward to fill the zip lock bag with ice and then throw it in the cooling box. That should do the trick..

Vicki:)

We're also bringing our own alcohol on board too. As for your beer, I would probably bring a bottle opener with you because I'm not sure if they would charge you anything to open it.

We just finished cruise #4...and have brough alcohol every time. The last two times I ended up with way to much (sort of the eyes bigger than the stomach syndrome!). We actually gave it to our servers at breakfast on the last day. Every time they seemed very happy about it. While the drinks are cheap for the crew...I'm thinking free is even better. :thumbsup2

As one of the posters above said, it's easier to give it away than to lug it off the ship. I don't know that they would care about open alcohol bottles...just don't bring any food off that's open.

Have a great trip!

DZ

oh, and you can probably get a bottle opener from room service...but buy one of those cheep $1 one from a liquor store and just have it in your room, it's easier. Enjoy!

We have only been on two Magic cruises and by no means are experts, but we never had any trouble carrying on alcohol. The only requirement I am aware of is that it must be in a carry-on bag. We carried on beer and wine.

We also had no trouble carrying the leftover alcohol off, along with other alcohol we purchased at different ports. Once again, I believe the only requirement is that it is in a carry-on bag.

As for keeping it cool, on the Magic, we had inside staterooms, and we could only fit maybe a six pack and one bottle of wine in at a time. It wasn't freezing cold, more chilled.

We never carried our drinks into the dining rooms, so I do not know what fees could be added. However, we did carry our drinks around on the ship,and we never had any problem.

We have always taken our own alcohol on board. We have done it two different ways as it depends opon what alcohol and what restaurant it is we are eating in. We always send the Champagne and Wine up to Palo the day before we are eating there and they put it in their frigde. For this we pay a nominal corkage fee.

For the rotational dining we always open the bottle in our room and take a glass of wine with us to the restaurant. We leave the open bottle in the Ice bucket (topped up twice a day with fresh ice by our fantastic little person that services our room, at which time he also leaves us fresh glasses if the others are used) We just leaveour glasses in the restaurant and go back to our room after dinner for the other clean glass at which time we go up to The Cove for cheese and biscuits before having a coffee. Doing it this second way there is no corkage fee.

We always take our own alcohol. Not because we dont like to spend, but because we dont like the Wooded (Oaked) wine that they serve on board. Even the Sauvignon has a slightly woody flavour to it in our opinion. There has never been an objection to us carrying it on board as long as we carry it on ourselves.

As for bringing it off. We have never had any left as we calculate our normal cunsumption but there is a shop on board and the Louis Trez is a good price. They bring it to your room on the final night and you take it off the ship yourself so I cannot see there being a problem carrying more off. But the staff would always like some for their staff parties and I am sure would really appreciate any offers.

Have a good one

Sailing on the Dream in July :cool1:
Just wondering, if we open a bottle of wine in our room prior to dinner, can we bring the opened bottle to dinner with us?

Thanks,
Karen :)

EDITED: I just read through some more forum and see that a soft-sided cooler is the way. Thanks!

----

I'm wondering how you carry your alcohol on board? Do you put cans of beer in a cooler (soft-sided I guess) and just carry it on with your day bag? Or do you have to still hand it over with your luggage (this will be our first cruise, so I have tons of questions!)

I would really like to bring some beer and a bottle of wine on board. I know we will still enjoy a few drinks on deck from the bar, but after our daughter goes to sleep, it will be nice to enjoy the balcony with a drink as well!

The "corking fee" is applied whether they open a bottle for you or whether you just bring it into the dining room. It is basically a fee for bringing the bottle in with you. However, you are welcome to carry in a glass of the beverage of your choice at no charge. Got any LARGE glasses????

As to taking off an UNOPENED bottle--if you save your receipts and can prove that it was purchased in the US, it will not count against your Customs allowance. Sorry, I don't know the rules regarding an opened bottle.

Any beverages brought on board must be in your CARRY ON luggage, not your checked bags. You can use a soft sided cooler or any type or rolling suitcase that suits you.

We just got off the Dream a couple of weeks ago, and did bring 4 bottles of wine, and a bottle of Grey Goose vodka on board with us. I held onto the receipt from the liquor store where I purchased everything to prove it was purchased in the US, and kept it right in the wine tote i carried everything in just in case we had anything left. Got off the ship with 2 bottles of unopened wine, and about 1/2 the bottle of vodka. The Customs agent didn't even bat an eye when we carried it off the ship.

Sorry, I'm a little 'late to the party' on this thread!! So, is there a limit to how much alcohol you can bring on with you? If my husband and I wanted to bring 4 bottles of wine, is that okay? Will they provide wine glasses in your stateroom or did you bring your own? Thanks so much!!!

Your only limit is how much you want to physically carry onboard...

If you ask your room steward politely, they will usually bring you wine glasses. Our last cruise, when he saw we had white wine on the desk, he brought a bucket with ice and put the bottle in without asking. :cool1:

We are tequila drinkers and plan on bringing a bottle on board, any idea where the best place would be to get limes? Maybe room service?

We do get the good stuff and i only drink it neat, but still like a wedge of lime in the drink ;) When we were on the Magic in January i made friends with the Signals bar tender and he made it perfectly. I switch back and forth between Patron and Cabo Wabo :)

I just booked our 1st Disney cruise and am SO EXCITED to hear you can bring your own booze on board. That seems to be our biggest cost on the other cruises we have sailed.

I know hubby will be excited when I tell him this!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter