Bringing a Newborn to WDW

cgorn

Mouseketeer
My wife and I are expecting our baby soon (any day now!), and for the last three Februaries we went to WDW, just the two of us (have you done the math? :blush:). This child is our first, and as much as I said we wouldn't go back for a few years, it's usually about Novemberish when we start to get nostalgic.

I did have someone tell me that WDW with a newborn (like three months new) is actually easier than with a toddler. Any thoughts? The key ingredient here is that we don't have any other kids, so it's not like dad and another kid can go on rides while mom and a newborn wait it out -- we'd be riding alone if we ride at all.

Thanks!

Chad

Chad....taking a newborn to WDW is awesome! It is much easier than taking a toddler. My son is now three and his 8th trip is coming up quickly. The easiest time to take him was at 3 months and 9 months (before he could walk). I shipped all his formula, diapers, wipes, etc. to the resort about 5 days before we got there and everything went very smoothly!

They won't remember anything, but you will still enjoy it. Take lots of pictures and make lots of Disney memories :thumbsup2

Good luck if you do decide to take the new little one and congratulations!!!!

Hey Chad! Both of my boys first trips were at 3 months old. They both did fantastic! They would sleep a good bit, but absolutely loved looking at things on rides (esp. IASW), characters, and parades! They even slept through the fireworks! The baby care centers at all the parks are wonderful!!! I say go for it and have a great time!! :thumbsup2

Taking a newborn is easy. We did it when my dd was 3 mo old. However, we did have another child going on rides. I guess you need to decide if you want to go on rides by yourself. Of course, some baby can ride on too.

Sounds crazy to me... especially if you are travelling a distance. Flu season, out and about with thousands of people, 2 month old...

I was born in January 1971, and our first trip was in October 71. I don't remember it, but I turned out alright.

I love to travel and have taken my 3 mth old cross-country. BUT every baby is different. I would hedge your bets and make a room only reservation at WDW b/c you can cancel 6 days out with no penalty. Then, see how it goes. If you fly, try to get SWA tickets, b/c you can cancel and get a full credit to use for 1 year. That way, if all is going well, great, go and have fun. And if you have a colicky baby who has you at wits end--well, they outgrow it---but you won't want to be spending the $$ to go on a big trip--trust me!
As for germs---take baby in bucket-type babyseat on the plane--even if you don't buy a ticket, the babyseat will fit in overhead (I've done it)--and decent chance there will wind up being an extra seat (another good reason to book SWA-no assigned seats). Drape a thin blanket over babyseat while waiting for plane, etc. to avoid unwanted toughing of your baby--and bring lots of germex and clorox wipes (wipe down changer each time)--better yet, change in your own baby stroller.
If baby is nursing, eating, sleeping on a regular pattern, there's no reason you can't go and have a fun time.

I have three kids. They've gone at 3 months, 2 months, and 6 months. All have been delightful trips to WDW. The first baby wasn't great because it was January & freakishly FREEZING! It was below 30 degrees when we arrived. But the baby had a great time & I have the most awesome photos of her in Dumbo ears on Dumbo. Sooooooo cute!

The second baby I also had an 18 month old. Even with two tiny babies at spring break time, we had an amazing time. The key is to truly treat it like a vacation & chill out. Also, schedule ADR's when the baby's nap time is & buy a cushy stroller. Baby will nap gently while you & Dh had lovely Mommy-Daddy time!

If you are worried about riding alone you will have to get use to it as it is going to be a least 4 more years before the baby can go on most rides anyways. I went on the Tot alone for the 1st time!! Then we switched off and my DH went alone--- went alone the 2nd and 3rd time too. Last time we didn't go at all as my youngest (6yo) chicken out (she had been on twice before :confused3 --

If you do go just take it slow and relax and enjoy the resort. The Epcot resorts(BW, Yacht & Beach Club and the Swan/Dolphin) are a great place to enjoy Disney without having to go into the parks all the time. You can see illuminations from the boardwalk and they have some great nightime entertainment where you can take the baby out for a stroll. If you must go to the parks, its a short walk to both MGM and Epcot.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE BABY!!!!

Well, we leave tomorrow with our 5 month old so I will let you know how it goes when we return :) We will have lots of help though because my siblings and their families as well as my parents are traveling with us.

We are taking our newest addition down in Jan. and she will be 3 1/2 months old. We love taking the kids when they are that young- they are so easy. Go ahead and take your new baby and get lots of pictures for great memories!! You wont regret it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter