• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bring your child to work day....anyone participating?

Lisa L from MI

<font color=0099CC>Just call me the handing out ke
Today is National bring your child to work day. Anyone doing this today? My sister took my 2 kids with her to work this morning. She works for AAA headquarters. They are suppose to have planned activities from 8-5 with a movie, snacks, activities, crafts and they even needed their t-shirt sizes...so I assume they will be getting a t-shirt.

I never worked anywhere worthwhile to take them....especially now.....they would have been bored to death.

My friend said that she thought that schools actually are "for" this day (can't think of the word:confused: ). I did, although, feel funny calling them in today at school. The secretary asked "are they sick?" and I said "no, they are participating in bring your child to work day" and she just said "ok".

They haven't missed much school all year so I felt it was ok.

Can't wait to see what they are going to be doing.......my sister is suppose to keep me updated throughout the day via email.

Just wondered if anyone elses kids are doing this today???

Me, me, me! And this will be the first time the store has ever done it. I guess no one else has asked. :confused3 Anyway, being very customer oriented I know my boss is worried about behavior and such, but I guess she is trusting me. I could see the questions running around in her head when she was talking to me.
Anyway, she will be introduced to everyone this morning. :)

Not this year. DH was travelling and got home really late last night, so he is getting some sleep now. Their schools do encourage that kids participate, so I wouldn't worry about them missing school today. There were a lot less kids and cars when I dropped them off this morning at their schools.

THATS THE WORD I WANTED...."ENCOURAGE".......thanks Rita!! I was going nuts trying to think of the word!!!!

I think it's a great idea, but I can't understand why they don't have it during the summer when most kids are off. :confused: It would make more sense than having all these kids miss school.

My kids won't be participating this year. I already work part time at their school, and my husband said they's be bored to death at his office.

I was hoping DH would stop home and pick up the kids for a little while(they are on vacation this week), but Cam isnt feeling too well today so, there goes that idea. And I was so looking forward to this. ;)

My older DD is going to work with DH today. They have a program for 8-12 year olds at his store. (He's a manager at a grocery store). She went last year and LOVED it!!!

Originally posted by browneyes
Nope. My kids are having state tests today (Georgia's CRCT).
Pete took his last week. I am glad that is over. Any ideas when the results come back?

Originally posted by Pete's Mom
Pete took his last week. I am glad that is over. Any ideas when the results come back?
My dd's teacher told her he thought they'd have the results back in about 2 weeks. I hope so. School's out in 4 weeks.:eek:

My "baby" is 18, so I don't really pay much attention to these things anymore, I hadn't even realized today was the day. I work for a major corporation, and they do a big thing with it every year.

The funny thing is, I'm working from home today...I was out late seeing a concert last night, and working from home lets me get a few extra zzzzz's. :)

Anne

Originally posted by browneyes
My dd's teacher told her he thought they'd have the results back in about 2 weeks. I hope so. School's out in 4 weeks.:eek:
You know this year, they were making it mandatory that all 2nd graders pass the reading portion of the CRCT in order to be moved up to the 3rd grade, but they decided to let the counties decide for themselves this year whether to enforce it. All counties in Georgia decided against it except the one we live in. So, even if the student has straight A's in class, if they fail the reading portion, they automatically get held back. :(

Pete is in 1st this year so we won't have to deal with that until next year. :teeth:

You know this year, they were making it mandatory that all 2nd graders pass the reading portion of the CRCT in order to be moved up to the 3rd grade, but they decided to let the counties decide for themselves this year whether to enforce it. All counties in Georgia decided against it except the one we live in. So, even if the student has straight A's in class, if they fail the reading portion, they automatically get held back. :(

Pete is in 1st this year so we won't have to deal with that until next year. :teeth:
I haven't heard about that. My ds is in the 2nd grade. No wonder they've pushed reading so much this year. They must be seeing how far to push reading to get ready for next year's 2nd graders CRCT tests.

My dd said next year they'll make it mandatory for the 5th grade students to pass all portions of the CRCT to make it to the 6th grade. She was happy because she'll be in 6th grade next year and won't have that added pressure this year.

My kids love to do take your child to work days and have always taken the day off school for it. DH's work has a really great program.
Unfortunately this year our district also has state mandated AIMS testing today.
My oldest dd really needs to be there for the tests. (HS sophomore)
I considered pulling the younger ones anyway, even though the disrict is being pretty high pressure about not missing the tests, but ended up sending them to school.

Not only can these tests hold kids back, but it can also push them forward when they aren't really ready. We have the FCAT in Florida. My son had been struggling through the year (and the year before) in 3rd grade. By the end of the year we had had several conferences w/ teachers and decided that my DS would be held back. :( We were pretty bummed, but accepted that it would be best. DS has a July birthday so he is always one of the youngest in class. And he's very short too. At least he wouldn't stand out as older/bigger. Anyways, 3 days before school let out I got a call from DS's teacher. He had done so well on the FCAT that she said they couldn't hold him back, even if we wanted too. Of course I was proud and so was DS. But what worried me was the constant struggling he went through.....forget about 1 good test score.
Needless to say it was not right for DS. He is now finishing up 5th grade and it looks as though he'll be there again next year. :( It would have been so much better to have done it in 2nd or 3rd grade. It really isn't doing much for his self confidence.

My kids went to DH's office for take your kid to work day; they have a great program which includes acting out plays, making posters, visiting all the offices in the building, and getting lots of attention from all the office assistants. The kids loved dressing up in their button downs and ties to go to work-- dressing up was their idea-- and because I homeschool, I get the whole day to myself.

I didn't hear anything about this...but...I have a friend who lives about 40 minutes from you in Clay Township! Small world!!

I took my DD to my middle school. She was so funny, as we went to class to class she said "Honestly Mom I don't know how you do this every day". Actually the kids were particularly annoying today because we had projects in Science in SStudies. I"m an aide for learning support but I help everyone. In algebra she showed up some of the kids by beating them to the answer. She is in 4th grade and this was 7th grade algebra.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter