Bring the dog? Don't bring the dog?

suemmck

Earning My Ears
Hi, I mostly just lurk here, but I need a little help deciding whether or not to bring our dog with us on our next trip to the Fort. I had DH convinced to bring her & he heard from a friend that it will cost us extra to have a pet with us. I know there are many here that bring their dogs with them. Does it cost extra for the dog? If so, how much? Thanks

$5.00 a day. Just let them know when you make your ressies, so they will put you in a pet loop.

Loop 100 - Preferred
Loop 200 - Preferred
Loop 300 - Preferred (Pet friendly loop)
Loop 400 - Premium (Pet friendly loop)
Loop 500 - Premium (Pet friendly loop)
Loop 600 - Premium (Pet friendly loop)
Loop 700 - Premium (Pet friendly loop)
Loop 800 - Premium (Pet friendly loop)
Loop 900 - Premium (Pet friendly loop)
Loop 1000 - Premium
Loop 1100 - Premium
Loop 1200 - Premium
Loop 1300 - Premium
Loop 1400 - Premium
Loop 1500 - Partial
Loop 1600 - Full (Pet friendly loop)
Loop 1700 - Full (Pet friendly loop)
Loop 1800 - Full (Pet friendly loop)
Loop 1900 - Full (Pet friendly loop)
Loop 2000 - Partial

There is a $ 5.00 per day fee, I am asuming you are using a camper (enclosed) as the kennel is quite exspensive. You can bring a whole Litter and still $ 5.00..

My dogs have been going to Ft Wilderness with me in the motorhome for the past 12 years and they LOVE IT. I would'nt have it any other way. The fee of 5.00 a day is minimal to the peace of mine that the dogs are being cared for in a proper manner. I do come back to the motorhome at lunch to check up on them and take them for a walk around the loop before going back to the parks. Hope this helps.

You don't say what type RV you will be staying in at the Fort, but you must have a hardside RV to leave a pet while you are away...no tent or softside popup. And the pet may be outside only when you are with him/her. That said, the Fort is very pet friendly, and even more so with the recent addition of the dog run and more access outside of designated pet loops. But please use the provided cleanup stations.

Thanks everyone for the info. We have a 5th wheel travel trailer. $5 a day is less than we pay to board her, so I think we have made our decision. I knew this was the right place to come for help.

We just got back from the Fort with our dogs. One thing I would recommend is to try and get a site near one of the dog walks. There are some loops that have sites with one of the walks right behind them.

Steve

Always bring the pups! Our puppys love the fort.

I can't imagine travelling without my "kids". I would worry too much about them if I didn't have them with me.

You don't say what type RV you will be staying in at the Fort, but you must have a hardside RV to leave a pet while you are away...no tent or softside popup. And the pet may be outside only when you are with him/her. That said, the Fort is very pet friendly, and even more so with the recent addition of the dog run and more access outside of designated pet loops. But please use the provided cleanup stations.

As far as the hard sided camper I know that used to be the case, but I thought I read something where in the last 3 to 5 years pop ups with tent sides were O.K., but tents were still a no no. One might want to double check on this and I just don't have the reference to the change handy.

Larry

As far as the hard sided camper I know that used to be the case, but I thought I read something where in the last 3 to 5 years pop ups with tent sides were O.K., but tents were still a no no. One might want to double check on this and I just don't have the reference to the change handy.

Larry

TCD posted a picture of some info from his most recent welcome packet, which stated that pets weren't allowed in tents or pop-ups.

As with many things at the Fort, policy and practice can be two different things. TCD was allowed to have his dog at the site (which was a non-pet loop), and he was staying in a pop-up.

To the OP, I know that this info is neither here nor there since you'll be in a fifth wheel, but just take it for future info if ever you need it.

Enjoy your trip at the Fort.

We're due to arrive a week from tomorrow and are bringing our dog. Disney is charging us the $5/day (don't know what for, they're not doing anything but hey it's cheaper than the kennels and more fun for him) but have assigned us to the 1400 loop. I keep seeing lists as above that the 1400 loop isn't Pet-Friendly but that's where they're sticking us and they know we're bringing him because they're charging us the fee so I wonder how it'll work out.

The 300 loop is close to the dog park if you want to take your pup there for some play time, I know ours loved it!

How did you get a loop assignment before your arrival? I don't recall that ever happening to us in the 12 years or so we've been going.

We're due to arrive a week from tomorrow and are bringing our dog. Disney is charging us the $5/day (don't know what for, they're not doing anything but hey it's cheaper than the kennels and more fun for him) but have assigned us to the 1400 loop. I keep seeing lists as above that the 1400 loop isn't Pet-Friendly but that's where they're sticking us and they know we're bringing him because they're charging us the fee so I wonder how it'll work out.

Just about any loop can be a pet loop if the pet loops at your site level are full. As long as you have told them you have the pet, then you should be fine.

Dan

Disney now has the early online check in available, I think you can check in up to 24hrs in advance. They have your welcome packet and KTTW cards ready for you at the desk. (They also do this if you show up at midnight...)

The way it has worked for me in the past, although I haven't stayed there since '09, is if you do have a pop-up or tent and in a designated pet loop, your dog can stay with you for as long as you are at your site with the dog. They are not allowed to be left unattended in one.

Way back when, I'd pay the 5$ a night fee, plus the kennel fee. I'd drop her off at the kennels during the day when we went to the parks and brought her back to the site at night time to sleep with us. This was way back when Disney ran the kennels and it was about 12-15$ a day.

I think with a pop-up or tent, there's more chances of a dog chewing through the sides for escaping, and being much louder with the barking.

But as most things go at Disney, the rules are made by whoever you talk to... and every one has their own interpretation of that...

Definitely bring the dog. We brought our Golden Retriever during our stay at FW during the 2011 Disney World Marathon. We were placed in Loop 1400. Walking distance to the fenced dog park. We never RV without our pooch.

How did you get a loop assignment before your arrival? I don't recall that ever happening to us in the 12 years or so we've been going.

When we made our reservations we were given the choice of a pop-up site or a premier site but I said given the fact that we have a 27 ft TT but pull it with a big ole Excursion the CM said that we wouldn't fit on the pop-up site. I asked which premium loops were pet friendly and she started to read them off, " 400, 500, 1400..." "1400 please!" Close to the playground, close to comfort stations, close to bunch of stuff... it's a no brainer for us. We just called yesterday about whether we could bring our fire pit with its lid (Janice said we could as long as the lid was used and couldn't allow embers to escape) and in reviewing the details she, "had us down for the 1400 loop". I mentioned to her that I heard that it wasn't pet friendly but she confirmed that it was pet friendly.

You can only use the fire pit if there is no fire ban on. They seem to happen a lot, but the folks that live in FLA can speak more to that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter