Bring Stroller or Rent?

livsmom04

DIS Veteran
This year we are going to Disney World in June and for the past 3 years we have been bringing a stroller with us and using it everyday. We are planning on trying to do the parks without a stroller this year except for Epcot which is a lot of walking for my daughter. Even though she is going to be 9 when we go, she has an autistic disorder and sometimes just needs to be in something to help with a meltdown. My question is should we try to attempt to walk around Epcot without a stroller and if we feel she needs one is there anywhere in that park that we can rent a stroller? Or is better if we just bring one from home? We are going to be driving to the parks and so we can leave it in the van if we need to. And how much is it to rent at the parks?

You can only rent them at the park entrance - which depending upon where you are at in Epcot can be a LONG ways away. (Closer than the car, though.)

Do you think she would even fit in a Disney stroller? I'm making an assumption you have one for a larger kid at home given her disorder. If so, you may want to bring it on the trip.

Does she need a break from everything, or does she need a stroller because she is tired and/or that has a calming effect on her? I guess I am asking if you can skip the stroller and if she gives overwhelmed and needs a break - can you just take a break and then she would be fine walking after a break? Is it the "stroller and the ride/being pushed" the response needed - or is the response to sit down and take a break from everything?

At 9 - is she old enough to ask about this? Can you discuss having a plan in place? Your posting doesn't give a hint at her the severity of her autism.

Anyway - if the stroller gets used at home during longer outings - I'd bring it with you. It's just part of your plan for management. Decide on the day if you bring it into the park or leave it in the car. I'm guessing her ability to deal with the day isn't always going to be predictable. And well - remember this - even non-autistic adults have breakdowns in the park. It just happens and you can't worry about what others think!

You can only rent them at the park entrance - which depending upon where you are at in Epcot can be a LONG ways away. (Closer than the car, though.)

Do you think she would even fit in a Disney stroller? I'm making an assumption you have one for a larger kid at home given her disorder. If so, you may want to bring it on the trip.

Does she need a break from everything, or does she need a stroller because she is tired and/or that has a calming effect on her? I guess I am asking if you can skip the stroller and if she gives overwhelmed and needs a break - can you just take a break and then she would be fine walking after a break? Is it the "stroller and the ride/being pushed" the response needed - or is the response to sit down and take a break from everything?

At 9 - is she old enough to ask about this? Can you discuss having a plan in place? Your posting doesn't give a hint at her the severity of her autism.

Anyway - if the stroller gets used at home during longer outings - I'd bring it with you. It's just part of your plan for management. Decide on the day if you bring it into the park or leave it in the car. I'm guessing her ability to deal with the day isn't always going to be predictable. And well - remember this - even non-autistic adults have breakdowns in the park. It just happens and you can't worry about what others think!

My daughter is the size of a 5 year old. She only weighs 43lbs and is just about 47" tall. We have just an umbrella stroller that she uses at home when we go to the zoo or an amusement park around here. But other than that she walks. We might just bring the stroller with us in case we need it but I'm hoping this trip we won't need it. :)

I would say rent a stroller from an offsite rental place like orlando strollers that way you can have it for your entire trip in case you need it and the strollers are alot more comfortable than the strollers in the park which are hard plastic

When my DN was 5 we rented Disney strollers some days and it was helpful at the parks where there was a lot of walking, especially Epcot as you say. She was very comfortable in the Disney stroller and liked the protection of the sides (she was very timid) when something (aka a character that could be 50' away got too close! :)) so the Disney ones worked well for us.

The Disney ones also push very easily even with older children in them. Sure was easier than carrying her when her little legs got tired.

I hope you find something that works well for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter